Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   AV Home Theater (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/av-home-theater/)
-   -   Which new piece of equipment has exceeded your expectations? (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/av-home-theater/8098-new-piece-equipment-has-exceeded-your-expectations.html)

warpdrive 12-19-07 11:48 PM

Which new piece of equipment has exceeded your expectations?

I couldn't get to sleep, so I was thinking about all the money I've spent on equipment over the last year and what I've gained in the process.

I was thinking that the one thing that I was most impressed with among all the stuff I bought was my iPod Touch. I take it everywhere and as a media device, I can watch movies while waiting for my car to be serviced, enjoy my tunes in high quality sound (high bitrate encoding, and top grade headphones), and as an information device at the local coffee shop or around the house. At work I use it to listen to music which really enhances my day. Not that I couldn't do any of this stuff before but now it's done with one slick device that I say "cool!" every time I pull it out.

As for my home equipment, I think the biggest impact was to go HDTV. It's a quantum leap over regular DVD resolution, and I still marvel at watching HD channels every day. By top quality standards, my XBR LCD definitely isn't cinema quality, but the picture and colors just pop out....and that is something I appreciate every day.

What piece of equipment did you buy that makes you go Wow?

Sonnie 12-20-07 01:03 AM

Re: Which new piece of equipment has exceeded your expectations?

Martin Logan Ascent i speakers with ML Motif center. Hands down the best purchase I've made ever... along with the most notable improvement in sound that I've not experienced this year, but in my lifetime of fiddlin' with HT.

I'd say it would be a toss up between HD-DVD and the Panny 1080p projector for the second best improvement.

atledreier 12-20-07 01:44 AM

The SVS PB12 plus/2 was a revelation for me. Other than that I'm amazed every day what my system in total can really do. Especially the projector, considering the age and price (BenQ PE7700) that still make me chuckle and grin like an idiot. Or my audio system that keep me up at nights playing music. Or my Toshiba HD-E1 that blow my Denon DVD2910 away in every aspect. Or the BFD that will tame the beast that is SVS and make it shine. Or my wife that let me do this at all. I think maybe she's the best 'bang for the buck'... :neener:

mike c 12-20-07 02:27 AM

my projector and screen. i have always had 40" LCD's and dreaming of the next big tv, before I decided to go to a 108" screen via Projector ... I don't even know why I've always wanted a big tv when you can get a humongous screen for a fraction of the cost of the tv.

Fincave 12-20-07 04:44 AM

Amphion Argon 2's, speakers that I bought to replace my JBL xTi 80's. Listening to music is an absolute pleasure and I keep hearing little things on cds that just were not heard before, always brings a smile to my face. Second on the list would be the upgrade from a 28" tv to a Sanyo Z3 and 110" DIY screen.

Prof. 12-20-07 07:24 PM

Quote:

mike c wrote: (Post 68211)
my projector and screen. i have always had 40" LCD's and dreaming of the next big tv, before I decided to go to a 108" screen via Projector ... I don't even know why I've always wanted a big tv when you can get a humongous screen for a fraction of the cost of the tv.

I would have to say the same for me...
After years of watching movies on what I thought was a big TV screen...changing to a projection image on a 106" screen, totally elevated my enthusiasm for home theatre..
I didn't think it could get any better, until I changed to CIH Cinemascope projection and that now blows me away everytime I turn on the projector..

Big Worm 12-20-07 07:59 PM

My Samsung 56" DLP I bought last year. That led to my 2nd, HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. :)

tonyvdb 12-20-07 07:59 PM

I think for me its building our home theater. It has already proven to be a sound investment (no pun intended).
As far as a piece of equipment, its a tossup between my Mission 765 speakers and the Onkyo 805. The missions I bought new almost 16 years ago and still would never trade them in for anything. The Onkyo has just been a great transition and has improved the already great sound that I have.

MatrixDweller 12-21-07 11:08 AM

I went from a Kenwood VR309 receiver to a used Denon 3805. With the same speakers it was like night and day. I upgraded my Cerwin Vega speakers shortly afterwards with some Klipsch speakers and had a similar "ear opening" experience. I new they would sound better than the Cerwin Vegas, but didn't expect them to sound so sweet.

OvalNut 12-21-07 11:21 AM

Acoustic treatments.

I did my whole room with GIK Acoustics Tri-Trap bass traps and wall mounted 242 and 244 acoustic panels. The difference was not at all subtle, truly remarkable. I won't go back to an untreated room again.

Tim
:drive: