Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   AV Home Theater (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/av-home-theater/)
-   -   The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/av-home-theater/9024-ten-biggest-lies-audio.html)

Sonnie 01-31-08 02:59 PM

The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio

I just cannot resist...

The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio

This is a multiple choice poll, however, if you vote that you agree with all or disagree with all, do not vote on the individual questions or your votes will be deleted.

Do you agree... if not, then why not? (This is not an option... it is a requirement as part of the poll!) If you do not agree, then you must post why you do not agree or your vote will be stripped.

This is a public poll... click any vote to see how members voted.

Play nice ... remember our Forum Rules and Zero Tolerance!

fibreKid 01-31-08 03:23 PM

Re: The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio

Congratulations... you have found the missing link!

What did I win?? :jiggy:

Looks like there might be a permission or missing document problem.

salvasol 01-31-08 03:27 PM

I found the lies ... with the snake :bigsmile::bigsmile:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-oil-lies.html

Sonnie 01-31-08 03:28 PM

Try it now!

tonyvdb 01-31-08 04:30 PM

It made me laugh to read them all as I totally agree with all of it. I know someone on here is going to pipe in say that they could prove that they are wrong but I always say if your ears cant hear or see a difference who cares what the scopes and other electronic testing equipment says.

Funkmonkey 01-31-08 05:20 PM

Nice. I am glad to hear that I am not alone thinking that there is a lot of mumbo-jumbo in the audio world. I must admit that several years ago I fell victim to the cable/interconnect lie. I spent about $40 (at the time that was a lot of money for me) on a pair of stereo RCA-RCA cables that looked a lot cooler than the patch cords that came with the CD player, when the salesman promised that they would improve the sound. I proceeded to hook them up and hide them behind my equipment, resulting in no difference in sound quality what-so-ever. Still have those cables, still use them, still think they look cool when I rewire something, and still think I got ripped off!!!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt 01-31-08 09:36 PM

Hereís my favorite quote from the article:
Quote:

If you can afford a fancy power conditioner you can also afford a well-designed amplifier, in which case you donít need the fancy power conditioner.
I pretty much agree with all of it, except for the cables. I generally not a believer in that stuff, but I have seen two instances where I could hear a difference. Which was surprising, because I wasnít expecting anything at all. So Iím hesitant to denounce the idea outright.

Quote:

Just go into it with clear eyes and know that you're just spending the extra money for aesthetics.
Aesthetics that no one will ever see... Now that I donít get. :huh:

I never could figure out the ABX foes, with their complaints about additional switches, etc. How many switches and relays does the signal go through as it is? Letís see, the pre-amp source selector, the amplifier relays (that many have), the ampís speaker selector switch, etc. Silly, just silly. :dizzy:

Regards,
Wayne

avaserfi 01-31-08 09:44 PM

Quote:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: (Post 77590)

Hereís my favorite quote from the article:
I pretty much agree with all of it, except for the cables. I generally not a believer in that stuff, but I have seen two instances where I could hear a difference. Which was surprising, because I wasnít expecting anything at all. So Iím hesitant to denounce the idea outright.

There are certain situations in which different cables will be audible, but this is only if the cable is either not designed properly or is not being used properly such as if the cable is not of sufficient gauge for run length in relation to resistance.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt 01-31-08 09:49 PM

Quote:

avaserfi wrote: (Post 77593)
There are certain situations in which different cables will be audible, but this is only if the cable is either not designed properly or is not being used properly such as if the cable is not of sufficient gauge for run length in relation to resistance.

But would you expect to hear a difference on lower-end PA speakers??? Needless to say, it was shocking...

Regards,
Wayne

avaserfi 01-31-08 09:51 PM

Quote:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: (Post 77596)

But would you expect to hear a difference on lower-end PA speakers??? Needless to say, it was shocking...

Regards,
Wayne

That is pretty surprising. What kind of cables were they? It sounds like they were designed like complete and utter poo and that is just plain hard to do maybe there was a goal with those cables? I have encountered a pair of cables that were designed specifically to EQ the high end for a gradual roll off.