General Shack Area
New Member Introductions
Forum Announcements | News
Home Theater, Audio and Video News
Home Theater, Audio and Video Equipment Reviews
Official DVD and Blu-ray Reviews
Great Deals and Specials
GTG, Clubs, Associations and Audio Fests
Staff A-V Insights
Home Theater - Audio / Video
AV Home Theater
Home Theater System Recommendations
System Setup and Connection
Remotes | Cables | Accessories | Tweaks
Home Theater Receivers | Processors | Amps
HDTV | Video Displays | Processors
Blu-ray | DVD | Disc Media Players
Movies | TV Shows | Hollywood
Home Theater Projectors
Computers | HTPC | Media Servers
Video Game Systems | Video Games
HiFi Audio Components | Music
Two Channel Audio
CD Players | Turntables
Headphones | Head Gear
CD-BD-DVD Music | Vinyl Records
Equalization | Calibration
Electronic Processing/Equalization Devices
SPL Meters | Mic's | Calibration | Sound Cards
Manufactured Speakers | Subwoofers
Home Audio Speakers
Home Audio Subwoofers
The Sub Zone (Subwoofer Testing)
Subwoofer Tests - Archived
DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers
Creative Sound Solutions
Two Channel Audio Installation | Systems
Two Channel Design and Installation
Two Channel System Photos (Finished Rooms Only)
Home Theater Installation | Systems
Home Theater Design and Construction
Home Theater Seating and Accessories
Home Audio Acoustics
Home Theater Room Photos (Finished Rooms Only)
Home Theater Systems | Equipment
Service | Support
General Service and Technical Information
DIY Repair and Maintenance
Manufacturers and Vendors Reference Information Forum
Custom AV Installers by State (USA)
Sponsors and Vendors Listing
Brand Specific Service Forums
Classifieds - Wanted
Classifieds - Audio Equipment
Classifieds - Speakers and Subwoofers
Classifieds - Equalization and Calibration Equipment
Classifieds - Remotes, Cables and Accessories
Classifieds - Video Components
Classifieds - Video Displays and Projectors
Classifieds - Media
Classifieds - Miscellaneous
Classifieds - Pro Audio
Classifieds - Mobile Audio
Off Topic Area
Chat Box SWAMP
Forum Help | Suggestions
Getting Started With HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
General Shack Area
Home Theater, Audio and Video Equipment Reviews
Blu-ray, CD, DVD and Media Player Reviews
OPPO BDP-105 Multi Player Review
08-14-13, 08:38 PM
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
My Photo Gallery
OPPO BDP-105 Multi Player Review
OPPO BDP-105 Multi Player Review
Audio like many items has a law of diminishing returns. It reminds me of some guys when asked, what is the best performance car? The first guy says the new Chevrolet Corvette, the next guy says the Mercedes SLS Black, the next guy ups the bar with the Lamborghini Aventador and the last guy trumps with the McLaren P1. There is over a million dollars difference between the first and last car. Is the McLaren a better performance car than the Chevrolet? The simple answer is yes, but unless you’re an oil sheik or rock star with money to burn, it isn’t so simple. Different people have different wants and needs. Only you can decide if the added performance, bells and whistles are worth the additional dollars to you.
Black box disc players are very much in the same arena. You can run down to your local electronics supermarket and pick up a blu-ray player for $100 or shop a high end company and spend $30,000 or more. With OPPO’s BDP-105, you get audiophile grade music and a lot more, for far less than a sports car or boutique player. Now that doesn’t mean you won’t get just as many smiles. In fact, you will most likely get more, when you realize how much money you saved.
My first introduction to OPPO was back in 2009 when I took part in the Early Adopter Program for the BDP-83. This basically consisted of getting on a waiting list to be able to purchase the player before it was released to the general public. The BDP-83 was in my home theater system up until my recent purchase of the BDP-103 for 3D viewing. The BDP-83 has since moved into a 2-channel system. Armed with this OPPO history, I was excited to review the BDP-105 and see just how good it really is. I’ll give a hint; it’s more than just good.
Build Quality, Appearance and Functionality
Your first impression of the BDP-105 comes as soon as you pick up the box. 24 pounds is what the UPS label had printed on it and you feel that heft. Open the box and you get an idea of how much thought has gone into this world class unit. You are first greeted with a beautiful full color insert giving you some of the highlights of this player and its capabilities.
Next you find the BDP-105 is protected by a nice cloth bag with handles and surrounded with high density foam. The bag is great for carrying audio goodies or vinyl records to your next audio get together. Even the accessories come in a box worthy of retail display.
You see the fit and finish continue, as you proceed to unbox and hook up the player. The black finish of the steel chassis has a level of execution that you normally find in very high end gear or exotic cars. Yes, it’s that good. Not only is the look sleek and modern but has a nice tactile feel. A big plus for many of you will be there is no more fan cooling.
Having spent over 25 years in high tech electronics, from radar and deep space satellites to military “black box” tech and system security, I just had to open the OPPO and take a look around. Folks let me tell you, this was not something thrown together or done in a hurry. There was a lot of thought put into board layout and PCB execution. It even uses state of the art surface mount technology to maximize performance and get the most fidelity from the limited space.
For instance, there are separate stereo and multi-channel audio boards, a substantial toroidal power supply and two (one pair) of SABRE32 Reference ES9018 DAC chips in this player, one on the stereo audio board and the other on the multi-channel audio board. Each DAC chip has 4 pairs of DAC channels (8 channels in each chip). For the multi-channel board naturally each DAC channel drives one of the 7.1ch output. For the stereo board, the DAC channels are assigned as: 1 pair for the RCA outputs, 1 pair for the XLR outputs, and 2 pairs stacked for the headphone amplifier. Yes, I said for the headphone amplifier. OPPO has all the bases covered. So, for you can lovers out there, all you need is the BDP-105, your favorite headphones and you are good to go.
Be sure and check out the features below. I know it is an extensive read but it is the only way to learn of all the features the BDP-105 is packed with. If I were to write about each one, this review would quickly turn into a novel.
• 4K Up-scaling - Enhance the home theater experience with four times the resolution of Full HD 1080p by up-scaling all video sources to 4K (3840 x 2160) output resolution.
• 2D to 3D Conversion – Take your standard DVD, Blu-ray, and other video content to the next dimension by converting them into 3D with the simple press of a button. The BDP-105 can also adjust the depth and eye convergence levels to suit your personal preference.
• Dual HDMI Inputs – Connect external devices such as set-top boxes and network streaming devices to take further advantage of the excellent audio and video processing functions by the BDP-105. The BDP-105 offers two HDMI inputs, one on the front and one on the back, and the front HDMI input doubles as an MHL input.
• USB Asynchronous DAC – By bypassing the low fidelity, poor quality DAC of traditional computer soundcards, the BDP-105 turn any computer into a high performing multi-media source by converting digital audio to analog through the ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC. If your computer can play it, the BDP-105 can convert it to analog.
• Coaxial/Optical Inputs – For additional convenience and flexibility, the BDP-105 can convert digital signals from cable and satellite boxes, televisions, video-game consoles and other digital transports with coaxial and optical digital outputs to analog.
• DMP & DMR - Digital Media Player (DMP) and Digital Media Renderer (DMR) features enable wired or wireless access of audio, picture, and video files stored on DLNA-compatible digital media servers such as a computer or network storage device (NAS).
• SMB/CIFS Access - The BDP-105 comes with an experimental feature that can access video, audio and picture files shared by computers on the local network via the Server Message Block (SMB) or Common Internet File System (CIFS) protocol.
• Headphone Amplifier – For a more intimate listening experience, a pair of headphones can be connected directly to the BDP-105’s built-in headphone amplifiers. The headphone amplifier is connected directly to the ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC and offers a unique performance advantage over standalone headphone amplifiers.
• Rigid Chassis Construction - Built around a steel chassis, aluminum faceplate, and center-mounted disc loader, the BDP-105 is designed to impress as well as to provide a stable base for the highest quality reproduction of your favorite media.
• Fanless Architecture – The BDP-105 is passively cooled, allowing it to run both cool and quiet without the need for internal or external fans.
High Fidelity Audio Performance:
• SABRE32 Reference Audio DAC - The DAC is one of the most important components for digital audio playback. The SABRE32 Reference ES9018 from ESS Technology is the world’s best performing 32-bit audio DAC solution targeted for high-end consumer applications and professional studio equipment. With the ESS patented 32-bit Hyperstream™ DAC architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator, the SABRE32 Reference DAC delivers an unprecedented DNR (Dynamic Range) of up to 135dB and THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion plus Noise) of -120dB, the industry’s highest performance level that will satisfy even the most demanding audio enthusiast. The BDP-105 uses two ES9018 DAC chips - one for the 7.1-channel output, and another for the dedicated stereo output. To learn more about the technologies behind the exceptional performance of the SABRE DAC, please read the SABRE Technical White Paper.
• Toroidal Power Supply - A toroidal power transformer offers superior power efficiency and much lower exterior magnetic fields over traditional laminated steel core transformers. The BDP-105's toroidal linear power supply provides a very clean and robust power source to the critical audio components.
• Dedicated Stereo Output with XLR Balanced Connectors - The BDP-105 features a dedicated 2-channel analog output with specially optimized ES9018 DAC and output driving stages. The stereo output offers both XLR balanced and RCA single-ended connectors. The balanced output features a true differential signal path all the way from the DAC to the 3-pin XLR connector. By transmitting a pair of differential signals, the balanced output provides better common-mode noise rejection and improves signal quality.
• 7.1-Channel Analog Output - Individual analog 7.1-channel surround outputs are ideal for connecting to a 7.1-channel or 5.1-channel surround sound system. The BDP-105 delivers an incredible sound stage and an immersive surround experience. The 7.1-channel analog output can also be configured to a stereo down-mix mode as a Zone 2 audio source.
• Dolby® TrueHD - Dolby TrueHD delivers lossless studio master quality audio designed specifically for high definition entertainment. The BDP-105 supports bit-stream output of Dolby TrueHD via its HDMI 1.4a output. It can also internally decode Dolby TrueHD into LPCM and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus audio formats are also supported.
• DTS-HD Master Audio™ - DTS-HD Master Audio delivers an auditory experience that matches the lifelike images of high-definition video with up to 7.1 channels that are bit-for-bit identical to the studio master. The BDP-105 supports bit-stream output of DTS-HD Master Audio. It can also internally decode DTS-HD Master Audio and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. (DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS Digital Surround are also supported.)
Diversified Media Support:
• Blu-ray Disc - The high definition Blu-ray Disc™ format provides pristine video and audio quality for your home entertainment.
• Blu-ray 3D – Experience high definition in all new dimensions. The BDP-105 supports the Blu-ray 3D specifications and is fully compatible with Blu-ray 3D discs1.
• SACD - The BDP-105 plays Super Audio CD (SACD) and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format or convert it to PCM.
• DVD-Audio - The BDP-105 plays DVD-Audio and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to play the DVD-Audio or the DVD-Video portion of the disc.
• Netflix Instant Streaming - Instantly watch TV shows & movies streaming from Netflix2. Netflix "Just For Kids" is a special selection of kid-friendly TV episodes & movies for younger viewers. It is included with your Netflix unlimited streaming membership. Selected titles support features including 1080p video, 5.1ch audio, subtitles and alternative audio languages.
• VUDU HD Movie Streaming - Stream thousands of movies instantly the day-and-date they are released on DVD/Blu-ray in stunning 1080p video, rich 7.1 surround audio and even in 3D3.
• CinemaNow - Instantly stream the latest new release movies and Next Day TV episodes, plus a library of thousands of blockbuster hits4.
• Pandora Internet Radio - Personalized music streaming using the Music Genome Project, staying true to their mission: "Playing only the music you'll love"5.
• Rhapsody Online Music - Meet your new music collection complete with millions of songs, entire albums and artist hits spanning the decades. This is more than just internet radio. This is the power to play exactly the songs you want.6
• Comprehensive Internet Streaming - In addition to Netflix, VUDU, CinemaNow, Pandora and Rhapsody, the BDP-105 provides access to popular entertainment network services from Film Fresh, YouTube Leanback and Picasa.
• BD-Live & BonusVIEW - The BDP-105 supports BD-Live™ (Profile 2.0) and contains all necessary hardware - audio/video decoder, Ethernet and wireless networking, and 1GB of internal storage - for BD-Live. It also supports BonusVIEW (Profile 1.1) enabling "picture-in-picture" and audio features for viewing director or actor commentary while the main movie is playing.
• Additional Disc & Media Formats - Additional disc and file formats, such as DVD, audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MP4, AVI, MKV and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs or USB drives can be played back on the BDP-105. The BDP-105 fully supports high-resolution lossless WAV and FLAC music formats.7
• Roku Ready™ - Full Roku streaming experience with an optional Roku Streaming Stick plugged in to the MHL Input; Up to 1080p HD; 750+ entertainment channels; Dual-band, extended-range wireless. Learn More
Unparalleled Video Quality:
• Qdeo by Marvell - The BDP-105 incorporates Marvell's Kyoto-G2H video processor with the latest generation Qdeo™ technology. Qdeo video processing delivers a truly immersive viewing experience by rendering quiet natural video free of noise and artifacts for all types of content. For high-quality Blu-ray content, the BDP-105 faithfully reproduces the program just as the director intended; for DVD, the up-converted picture quality bridges the visual gap from your current DVD library to Blu-ray discs; for network streaming and user-encoded content at a variety of formats and quality, the BDP-105 offers enhancement options including video noise reduction, compression artifact reduction, intelligent color, contrast, detail and edge enhancements. To learn more about the Qdeo video processing technology, please read the Qdeo Extended Technology Brief.
• DVD Up-Conversion - Per-pixel motion-adaptive de-interlacing and advanced scaling transform the standard definition image on DVDs to high definition output on your TV. Additional Qdeo video processing options help to deliver a clearer, smoother, and more true-to-life picture free of noise and artifacts.
• Full HD 1080p Output - The BDP-105 features user selectable video output resolutions, including 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 4K.
• True 24p™ Video - Many Blu-ray Discs are recorded at 24 frames per second, the same frame rate as the original movie's theatrical release. The BDP-105 can faithfully redeliver the original frames using 1080p 24Hz output (compatible display required) for smoother motion and a flicker-free, film-like home theater experience. It can also restore the original 24 frames per second progressive-scan video from well-authored DVDs and output 1080p 24Hz.
• Source Direct Mode - For users who wish to use an external video processor, the BDP-105 offers a "Source Direct" mode. The original audio/video content on the discs is sent out with no additional processing or alteration.
• Multiple Zoom Modes - The BDP-105 supports multiple levels of aspect ratio control and image zooming. Users can watch a movie in its original aspect ratio, fit to the full screen, or zoom in to remove the black bars on some titles.
• Vertical Stretch Mode - For customers with a 2.35:1 CIH (Constant Image Height) display system, the player's zoom options include a vertical stretch mode to work nicely with an anamorphic lens. A unique subtitle shift feature allows the user to move the subtitle up and down, making it possible to see all subtitle text when using a 2.35:1 CIH display.
• Advanced Picture Control - Users can have fine control of brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, sharpness, noise reduction, color and contrast enhancements. The player can remember and apply three custom picture control modes to suit a variety of viewing conditions and content types.
• Dual HDMI Outputs – Two HDMI v1.4a output ports are provided to offer the most versatile installation options to both older and newer HDMI equipment. You do not have to upgrade your A/V receiver to a 3D model in order to enjoy 3D. One HDMI output of the BDP-105 can be connected to a 3D TV and the other can be connected to a pre-3D HDMI v1.1-v1.3 A/V receiver. For projector users, you can connect one output to a projector for home theater use and the other to a TV for casual viewing. For a multi-room installation the BDP-105 can output audio and video to two 3D or 2D TVs simultaneously.
• MHL Input – Simplify connecting smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices to the home theater by using the MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) input port of the BDP-105. Display high resolution pictures, 1080p video and listen to pure digital music all while simultaneously charging the connected mobile device. The front HDMI input port of the BDP-105 doubles as an MHL input.
• Wireless & Ethernet – Using the included wireless-N adapter or the built-in RJ45 Ethernet port, users will be able to interact with BD-Live content, watch instant streaming programs from providers such as Netflix or VUDU, playback contents stored on their home network, and keep the BDP-105 up-to-date with firmware releases to ensure maximum Blu-ray compatibility.
• Triple USB Ports - Three USB 2.0 high speed ports are provided, one on the front panel and two on the back. Users can enjoy high definition video, high resolution photos and music directly from their USB drives.
• PAL/NTSC Conversion - The BDP-105 supports NTSC and PAL systems for both disc playback and video output. It can also convert content of one system for output in another. (Subject to DVD and BD region restrictions.)
• Back-lit Remote Control - The BDP-105 comes with a fully back-lit remote control for ease of use in dark home theaters. With its ergonomic button layout and clear labeling, operating the Blu-ray Disc player is easier than ever.
• World Power Supply - The BDP-105 features a world power supply that is compatible with AC power from all regions. Voltage range from 100V-120V and 200V-240V can be selected by flipping a switch on the back panel.
• External IR - For integration into home theater control systems, the BDP-105 provides an external IR IN port to use with an IR distribution system.
• RS232 Control - For custom installation, the BDP-105 offers an RS232 control port with a rich control and communication protocol. Installers can easily program their favorite control systems to operate the BDP-105.
• Remote Control Apps – As an added convenience, a free remote control application is available to download from the App Store for Apple iOS devices and the Google Play Store for Android devices.
• HDMI CEC - HDMI Consumer Electronics Control simplifies the home theater by allowing a single remote control to operate multiple devices.
• Gracenote MusicID® and VideoID™ - By connecting to Gracenote's global media database over the Internet, the BDP-105 can offer an enriched playback experience by displaying Cover Art, Title, Artist, Genre and other media information for CD, DVD, Blu-ray and a wide range of digital media files.
Here is another area where OPPO has gone above and beyond. The BDP-105 boasts a plethora of input and output options. Starting on the top left you find both XLR balanced and RCA single-ended outputs. Moving across to the right, there are individual analog 7.1-channel surround outputs (front, surround, sub, center and surround back). Drop down to the bottom row and you get Ethernet and HDMI input. Next are both coaxial and optical outputs. These are followed by two HDMI outputs. A very cool feature here is your choice of “Split A/V” or “Dual Display” configuration. When “Split A/V” is selected, HDMI 1 is the primary video port and HDMI 2 is the primary audio port. HDMI 1 outputs video at the highest possible resolution, by way of Marvell's Kyoto-G2H video processor with the latest generation Qdeo™ technology, and it mutes the audio. Moving on, you find two USB inputs, the IR control and an RS-232 control port. Last but not least, there are the digital audio inputs; optical, coaxial and USB. It really doesn’t matter what your application is or how you want to use the BDP-105, you are good to go with this player.
BD-Video, Blu-ray 3D, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, AVCHD, SACD, CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, DVD±R DL, BD-R/RE
BD-ROM Version 2.5 Profile 5 (also compatible with Profile 1 Version 1.0 and 1.1)
1GB (Actual space available for persistent storage varies due to system
7.1ch, 5.1ch, stereo.
Dedicated Stereo Analog Audio:
XLR balanced, RCA single-ended.
Dolby Digital, DTS, up to 2ch/192kHz PCM.
Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS-HD Master Audio, up to 7.1ch/192kHz PCM, up to 5.1ch DSD.
480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/1080p/1080p24/4Kx2K, 3D frame-packing 720p/1080p24.
Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, AAC, up to 5.1ch/192kHz or 7.1ch/96kHz PCM.
480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/1080p/1080p24/1080p25/1080p30, 3D frame-packing 720p/1080p24.
Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, up to 5.1ch/192kHz PCM.
480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/1080p24/1080p25/1080p30, 3D frame-packing
up to 2ch/192kHz PCM.
Dolby Digital, DTS, AAC, up to 2ch/96kHz PCM.
Analog Audio Characteristics
(RCA) 20Hz – 20kHz: ± 0.2dB, 20Hz – 96kHz: -1.5dB. (XLR) 20Hz – 20kHz: ± 0.3dB, 20Hz 96kHz: -1.5dB
>130dB (A-weighted, auto-mute), >115dB (A-weighted, no auto-mute)
<0.0003% or -110dB (1kHz at 48k/24b, 0dBFS, 20kHz LPF), <0.0017% or -96dB (1kHz at 44.1k/16b, 0dBFS, 20kHz LPF)
2.1 Vrms (RCA) or 4.2 Vrms (XLR) at 0dBFS
Headphone Audio Characteristics
20Hz – 20kHz: ±0.3dB into 300 Ω
>98dB into 300 Ω (A-weighted, no auto-mute)
<0.001% or -100dB into 300 Ω (1kHz at 48k/24b, 0dBFS, 20kHz LPF)
Output Power (per channel):
17mW into 600 Ω, 34mW into 300 Ω, 63mW into 150 Ω, 77mW into 120 Ω, 120mW into 60 Ω, 187mW into 32 Ω (1kHz at 0dBFS)
~115V/230V, 50/60Hz AC
55W (Standby: 0.5W in Energy Efficient Mode)
16.8 x 12.2 x 4.8 inches (430mm x 311mm x 123mm)
17.3 lbs (7.9kg)
41°F - 95°F 5°C - 35°C
15% - 75% No condensation
Setting up the BDP-105 was a breeze. With everything clearly marked and easy to read, it was just a matter of minutes to plug in the power cord and hook up to each of my systems; first to my two channel system and later to my home theater. Even accessing my network via the supplied USB WiFi dongle was super simple. Plug it in one of the USB input on the back and setup via the on screen menus.
Speaking of menus, the default menu is great for quickly accessing whatever it is you want to do. Be it watch a movie, listen to music, view photos, stream Netflix and more are all available with a quick click from the supplied remote. If you have read some of my other reviews, you may already know that I am picky about remotes. Let me say here and now, I love the OPPO remote. The buttons are large, laid out great for one handed use and it is back lit, so I wasn’t fumbling in the dark while watching movies. My wife liked the Netflix button for quickly getting to her favorite movies.
For dedicated two channel playback, I had the BDP-105 connected to a McIntosh C36 preamp. The pre feeds two Shanling SP80 mono blocks running 6CA7EH output tubes. The amps are driving a pair of custom horn speakers. You may read more on these on the Home Theater Shack Forums:
For video, the BDP-105 was connected to a Panasonic PT-AE8000U projector and an Onkyo TX-SR607 AVR. The AVR drives the center, surrounds and rear surrounds. The AVR also feeds an EV-DX38 that bi-amps a pair of Klipsch Jubilee speakers. A pair of Ampzilla 2000 mono blocks drives the bass bins and a DIY 6DN7 tube amp drives the horns.
Pat Metheny Group – Letter from Home
I started with a CD that is one of my favorites and as a way to slip into a listening mood gently. From the opening song, “Have You Heard”, the BDP-105 showed its prowess for aural bliss. The layers of music here are thick and can easily be muddied by poor players. The OPPO gave detail and separation of, not only these layers, but of the notes themselves. The cymbals and snare were delicate and seem to hang on air. Pedro Aznar's beautiful vocal arrangements blended seamlessly, and at times, sound like just another instrument in the mix. Pat’s own solo work was spectacular. His playing came through, from sharp attacks and string bends to his mastery of the fret board. Even the bongos stood out with a fingering pop that made them real.
All the way though this album, I was mesmerized by the how much more of the music came through with the BDP-105. The subtle nuances in tone and inflection, the way the music floated on air and how I wasn’t just listening to the music, but hearing the music. Then the final song, the title track “Letter from Home.” The OPPO took this beautiful, almost lullaby of a song, and made it ethereal. I could feel the emotion in the notes; the sense of longing out on the road and the contentment from reading a letter from home.
Wes Montgomery – Plays for Lovers
Continuing on with my somewhat mellow theme, I gave Wes Montgomery’s “plays for lovers’ a spin. Having played Pat Metheny, it reminded me that he is a huge fan of Wes Montgomery. While Pat and Wes are both guitar players that is about the only similarity you could say about them. With different styles and from different worlds and times of jazz, they play a different music.
From the first few bars of the first song “ghost of a change with you” the fidelity is apparent. The piano notes are distinct, the cymbal sizzles and Wes’ guitar has a richness and clarity that brings him into the room. Over and over again with each song, I was hearing a level of detail that brought a smile to my face. The old school vibe the organ brings on “for all we know” brought pictures of a Leslie horn spinning in the background. Then with “prelude to a kiss” the BDP-105 brought a symphony of instruments alive. The lushness of a string section, the vibrato of a bass fiddle and the distinct sound of Wes’s guitar are clean and clear. Never more evident than on the last track “while we’re young”, where each note, each sting, evokes a warm gentle side of jazz. The tonality of his Gibson L-5 guitar is rich and sounds like you’re listening to his Fender amp and not your home stereo.
I have used Skyfall previously when reviewing receivers and feel it may become my go to for video. The AVC 2.40:1 1080p encoding makes for spectacular viewing and the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 brings audiophile source material to your system. Given this material to work with, the BDP-105 truly shines. Much has been said about the night scenes in Macau. Yes, they are breath taking. Here the OPPO delivered rich blacks and separation of color off the water and the fire works in the sky, but movies or player for that matter need to excel through out. Take for example a dreary scene in Scotland. This is a picture I took with my Nikon D50 on a tripod of the actual screen image from my Panasonic projector.
The amount of detail is stunning. Every line, every crease, ever hair is there in crisp clear visual detail. While I have watched this movie many times, the OPPO gives it more life. I found myself being totally drawn in experiencing the movie.
The audio is just as high def as the picture. Not just the voices that you hear but layers of back ground have their own separation and nuance. During fight scenes, the landed blows and things breaking or the sounds of shots that ring in the air, I’m thinking this is what it really sounds like. Even the sound of the Agusta Westland AW101 helicopter may have you ducking. The thump of the blades and the sound of the M2 machine gun firing .50 BMG rounds are intense and real.
At every point in the movie the BDP-105 delivered studio quality definition.
Conclusion and Recommendations
It is easy to become a fan of OPPO. They really have you covered with this player. It doesn’t matter what format of movie you want to watch, what format of music you want to listen to or if you’re looking for a great DAC or headphone amp, the BDP-105 fits the bill and so much more.
The team has thought of everything for maximum flexibility and usage. It is not only impressive for the video and sound quality you get, but that OPPO has done this at a price point you won’t find anywhere else. I feel this makes the BDP-105 one of the best bargains on the market today. Yes, you can spend more, but why, when you don’t have to?
On a side note, not only does OPPO build fantastic machines, they stand behind each and every one of them. They are as much a customer service company, as a bunch of gear heads. I recently had an opportunity to witness this first hand. My old BDP-83 started having an issue with the disc tray sticking. I thought being a discontinued model and years out of warranty, I would be out of luck, but one email to service changed all that. They listened and without hesitation informed me they would repair it for free. They even sent me the shipping label to return it. Their turn around time was just as awesome, as their gear. Not only did they repair my problem quickly but upgraded it to the latest firmware. The service was like this during the entire process. I was kept informed all along the way and even after they shipped it back, I received a followed up email to make sure I that everything was to my satisfaction. Kudos to OPPO!
OPPO BDP-105 Multi Player Review Discussion Thread
~There are many roads to nirvana, while the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride~
Last edited by Wardsweb; 08-14-13 at
Wardsweb is offline
The following errors occurred with your submission
Disable smilies in text
Quote message in reply?
PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!
REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE
Confirm Email Address
Random Question #2
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!
YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!
Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.
AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!
See our banned email list here:
Banned Email List
We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.
Posting Quick Reply - Please Wait
Posting Quick Reply - Please Wait
Show Printable Version
Show Printable Version
Email this Page
Email this Page
post new threads
edit your posts
-- HomeTheaterShack.com (Full)
-- HomeTheaterShack.com (Classic)
-- HomeTheaterShack.com (Mobile)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to