My Roku arrives today

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 01-06-17, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Oppo 203

Interestingly enough the 103D is more expensive then the new 203 that's 4k.

post #13 of 27 Old 01-06-17, 05:19 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
That's the first I've ever heard of an actual owner complain of an older Oppo player. I've been following the Oppo 203 thread over at AVS and many owners are complaining that it was rushed to market too soon. My Samsung is cheap plastic but I never have had it freeze up on me. I would think they'll get the bugs worked out with firmware updates but until they do I'll be sticking with the k8500.
I will say regarding the Oppo 103, that the YouTube app is very slow and sometimes freezes or refuses to play something when I try to cast something to it from my phone. I haven't really used any of the other apps on it, but I love being able to stream audio and video files to it over the network. That functionality has been pretty much flawless for me.

Looking forward to the 203, but glad I won't be needing it for several months at least, since I won't be going 4k or immersive audio until later this year. Hopefully by then the worst of the bugs will be worked out of the thing.

post #14 of 27 Old 01-06-17, 05:41 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
Interestingly enough the 103D is more expensive then the new 203 that's 4k.

That is because it has the D...if you compared it with the non D it would be the same price or lower. They do hold their value very well though IMO.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #15 of 27 Old 01-06-17, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
That is because it has the D...if you compared it with the non D it would be the same price or lower. They do hold their value very well though IMO.
I know but D is nowhere near as great as 4k

post #16 of 27 Old 01-06-17, 07:51 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
I know but D is nowhere near as great as 4k

Yes but the they have to pay extra for the "D", so it is not fair IMO to compare the price as a "D" option is not even available yet in 4K. I originally was going to get a 103 (a while back) with the "D" but decided in my situation it made more sense to not get it and then get the standalone Darbee so it could be used for all of my Sources. When and if they get a 4K version I am sure the price will increase too.
asere likes this.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #17 of 27 Old 02-25-17, 12:22 PM
Senior Shackster

I got the change to measure the output of OPPO UDP-203 UHD Player for digital errors.

I used my Blu-Ray (1080p) calibration disk loaded to OPPO's drive and the CalMAN's ColorChecker Classic (+Primary/Secondary Colors with 100% Saturation / 100% Stimulus Level) Chapter with DVDO AVLab TPG Color Checker function (where it displays the digital level of the selected pixel on screen) to measure it's pattern output for digital errors when you playback a blu-ray.

I measured also the same patterns from the Blu-Ray ISO of my calibration disk loaded from it's front USB and found total agreement with the measurement from the drive.

Here are the results of that test:

This player is bit-perfect @ it's YCbCr 4:4:4 / 4:2:2 output and has some errors at it's RGB-Video Output.
ellisr63 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Software: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
Video Processors: eeColor 3D LUT Box, Darbee DVP-5000 - Pattern Generator: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1Display PRO, Chroma 5 PRO
post #18 of 27 Old 02-25-17, 06:57 PM
Senior Shackster

Ted, hi.

How would that relate/compare to say another 4K BR player? ...Like for example, a Panasonic DMP-UB900.
Fair question on the Oppo 203 vs the competition; video top quality performance wise with 4K BR, HDR10, regular 1080p BR, 3D BR, ...tra-la-la all the best moving pictures with high dynamic range and ultra high definition (natural razor sharp detailed images with real depth, and the most natural/realistic colors).

And! In real video watching tests too. Like from some of the top 4K BR disc transfers.

Thank you in advance.
~Bob

~Bob / Life, Love & the Blues
post #19 of 27 Old 02-25-17, 07:15 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
NorthSky wrote: View Post
Ted, hi.

How would that relate/compare to say another 4K BR player? ...Like for example, a Panasonic DMP-UB900.
Fair question on the Oppo 203 vs the competition; video top quality performance wise with 4K BR, HDR10, regular 1080p BR, 3D BR, ...tra-la-la all the best moving pictures with high dynamic range and ultra high definition (natural razor sharp detailed images with real depth, and the most natural/realistic colors).

And! In real video watching tests too. Like from some of the top 4K BR disc transfers.

Thank you in advance.
~Bob
Hi Bob,

I'm not owner of any UHD player, but I will do a comparison of OPPO UDP-203 vs. XBOX One S to a setup that has both, soon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Software: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
Video Processors: eeColor 3D LUT Box, Darbee DVP-5000 - Pattern Generator: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1Display PRO, Chroma 5 PRO
post #20 of 27 Old 02-25-17, 10:11 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
ConnecTED wrote: View Post
Hi Bob,

I'm not owner of any UHD player, but I will do a comparison of OPPO UDP-203 vs. XBOX One S to a setup that has both, soon
Cool enough. Thx Ted (I like your username).

~Bob / Life, Love & the Blues