BDP-83 (Oppo) Owners: Did This Ever Happen to You? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 25 Old 11-21-12, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Re: BDP-83 (Oppo) Owners: Did This Ever Happen to You?

As I mentioned, this is very bizarre and I can't explain the behavior, save for what Tony suggests it may be coming from (the sticking drawer, which is occasional on my deck)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 11-27-12, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

UPDATE:

I have just fired off an email to OPPO's tech support detailing the issues I have documented here with regard to my BDP-83; I will return and update you all once I get a response...
post #13 of 25 Old 11-27-12, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Okay. Received this message from OPPO with regard to questions I asked about the bitstreaming handshake loss and this very strange ejecting issue:

The player can't force a Bit Stream signal. The player will rely on EDID information to determine of the downstream device can support a Bit Stream signal or not. If the downstream device handshakes the EIDD incorrectly, then the player will switch to a processing mode which is known to be safe for all devices, which is PCM.

These kind of issues can be caused by a bad cable, connection, or firmware being out of date. Try upgrading the firmware on your receiver and the player to ensure that this is not the cause of your errors.

As for your tray ejecting errors this is something that can easily be repaired. Please respond with your shipping and contact information so we may issue a return shipping authorization and instructions for the repair of your player.

Alright -- let's break this down because I am uncertain as to where my problems lie at this point (I have since fired off another response to their reply which I have not heard back about as of yet):

Are they suggesting, first and foremost, that this loss of bitstream signal is more than likely coming from my Onkyo AVR? Further, they suggest that these issues can come from a bad cable, connection or out of date firmware -- I have not, in all the years I have these components connected, experienced an issue with the Monster High Speed HDMI connection being made between the BDP-83 and my AVR. Additionally, my firmware for the OPPO is not out of date; looking over their reply more closely, it seems as though they're also suggesting I look into upgrading the firmware on my RECEIVER, as well, but I don't think anything is really "out of date" with regard to my TX-SR605...

What gives?

Now, with regard to the ejecting issue -- they seem to suggest that they can take my player back from me for repair, considering this may be the "sticking drawer" problem...has anyone heard of this from OPPO, and how long do you think the player would be out of my hands for repair?

post #14 of 25 Old 11-29-12, 02:59 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I think they are basically saying it's a handshake issue with the Onkyo which I don't think is very surprising, I have seen countless issues from Onkyo owners regarding similar issues and if that's the case it would be a hardware issue not firmware. I would try a different HDMI input on the Onkyo.
post #15 of 25 Old 11-29-12, 03:07 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
Infrasonic wrote: View Post
I think they are basically saying it's a handshake issue with the Onkyo which I don't think is very surprising, I have seen countless issues from Onkyo owners regarding similar issues and if that's the case it would be a hardware issue not firmware. I would try a different HDMI input on the Onkyo.
Handshake issues are across the board not just Onkyo, I can find lots of Denon, Yamaha and Pioneer owners with the handshake issue just on this forum alone. I have a friend who has a Yamaha that refuses to talk to his Sanyo Projector (My old Z4) It worked fine with my Onkyo.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #16 of 25 Old 11-29-12, 05:19 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

True, handshake issues can be had with any brand but it seems to be a bit more prevalent with Onkyo. They make by far the best bang for the buck receivers but I think some corners have to be cut to get there.
post #17 of 25 Old 11-29-12, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the input...

Here's the latest reply from them:

Ensure that your receiver has the latest firmware release installed. All receivers can be firmware upgraded, some at your house while others need to be sent to the manufacturer. It is very possible that your handshaking errors are due to the receiver using an older firmware release.

Cables can go bad. The easiest way to test if the cable is the issue is to try an alternative cable between the player and the receiver; receiver and the display. You do not need expensive cables, as with HDMI the signal is either there or it is not.

Ensure that you are turning on your television, then the receiver, switching their inputs, then turning on the player to maximize your handshaking accuracies.

If you are accidentally issuing the EJECT command twice, or there is a collision of the command, this is possible. Try using the front EJECT button instead of the remote button (or the reverse if you are using the front panel button) and see if there is a difference.

Could it possibly be my HDMI cables are going bad?
post #18 of 25 Old 11-29-12, 06:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
Osage_Winter wrote: View Post
Could it possibly be my HDMI cables are going bad?
Unless you unplug them or move them around alot I highly doubt it.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #19 of 25 Old 12-01-12, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

Quote:
Infrasonic wrote: View Post
Thanks Infra...

It's the strangest thing, this phenomenon, because it happens every so often, and not routinely -- plus, strangely enough, it has only happened on DVD playback, not Blu-ray...

Here's what happens, once again: The disc drawer shuts, the player, receiver and display begin doing the HDMI handshaking, and instead of the receiver "locking on" to a bitstreamed signal from the player (i.e. indicating a "Dolby Digital" stream), the receiver indicates it's getting a PCM already-decoded signal from the player -- very odd, because in the BDP-83, under Audio Setup, I have "HDMI Audio" set to BITSTREAM, so this should not happen EVER.

This issue has only happened with two titles thus far, to be honest -- but they both happened to be, ironically enough, Warner Bros. DVD titles: the original House of Wax (with Vincent Price) played back during this past Halloween season, and Vegas Vacation. With House of Wax, in particular, this disc carries a two-channel surround track, so when my gear is done with all the HDMI handshaking, the soundtrack upon playback is decoded by my Onkyo via its Pro Logic II Movie mode (for two-channel film soundtrack sources) -- normally, the small orange "Dolby Digital" indicator lights up in this mode, with the "PLII Movie" indicator showing the listening mode in larger font on the display...with the last problem I had regarding this title, the orange Dolby Digital indicator DID NOT come on, and the AVR was indicating the PLAYER was doing the decoding via a PCM stream...

VERY strange, as I said...
post #20 of 25 Old 12-01-12, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Unless you unplug them or move them around alot I highly doubt it.
I don't unplug them or move them around a lot -- HOWEVER, due to the constraints of the cabinet the AVR and BD player are in, the cable leads in back are a bit tight fitting and seem to be pulling on the HDMI ports, the last I checked...something MAY be loose back there, or the prongs of the ports may be breaking...what's weird is that this issue has only happened twice and it has been relegated to just DVD playback -- not Blu-ray. This is more than likely sheer coincidence, but I am just pointing it out...

OPPO is suggesting that cables can go bad -- but if they're not aggressively being manipulated, as you suggest Tony, they should just simply last and do their job nearly indefinitely, no?