CD vs LP doesn't matter because I hear up to 50kHz! - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Closed Thread

post #31 of 39 Old 11-10-15, 06:52 AM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Re: CD vs LP doesn't matter because I hear up to 50kHz!

Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post
How many (scientific) orders of magnitude? The "evidence" available relies on scientific principles discovered to-date. What does the future hold? Are you surmising that sound reproduction has reached a pinnacle and no further improvement is possible? What of the scientific tests and instruments not yet developed that may be able to establish a statistically significant correlation between hearing and subtle acoustic events? The earth is flat, indeed!
There are those who seem to embrace limitation. Do not let them slow you or turn you from your chosen path.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 11-10-15, 02:59 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

16/44 does not contain as much information as analog. When we increase the density of information with higher resolution, the sound becomes MORE analog-like. Digital is an analog signal that has been given a bath in software.

It is my opinion that analog sources have sharper images and superior soundstaging, simply because there is more information being conveyed to the loudspeakers and listener. Frequency response well past 20 kHz is evidence of this.

http://www.kvart-bolge.com/#!Audioph...f2836c87f2d045

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #33 of 39 Old 11-11-15, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

[QUOTE=AudioPost;1327865
1. We have been able to measure "subtle acoustic events" for many decades and we can measure levels of subtlety way beyond (some or many orders of magnitude!) the ability of the human ear to detect.[/QUOTE]

Apparently not subtle enough.

If it measures bad but sounds good, it is good!
If it measures good but sounds bad, it is bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #34 of 39 Old 11-11-15, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

How about:
If it measures good but sounds bad, you've measured the wrong thing.

post #35 of 39 Old 11-11-15, 02:19 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post
How about:
If it measures good but sounds bad, you've measured the wrong thing.
Yep, that's much better. As far as sound waves are concerned, we can measure ALL their physical characteristics extremely accurately. We can't measure people's perception of sound waves hardly at all though. So while we may have measured the wrong thing (the sound waves), we currently have nothing else we're able to measure. Maybe one day we'll be able to measure people's brains, their bio-chemical and bio-electrical reactions, their emotions and what they perceive and maybe recreate them without even needing to involve any sound waves in the first place. Until then, all we can do is measure the sound waves themselves and leave judgements about whether they're perceived as good or bad to individual opinion.

G
post #36 of 39 Old 11-11-15, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
chashint wrote: View Post
After all, the story the pseudo-science paints is very convincing and infinitely more readable that a series of equations that that only engineers and math grads can comprehend.
Good point! All too convincing sometimes. I think that's because pseudo-science tries to appeal to common sense and oversimplified aspects of the world we live in. Biasing conductor insulation in a cable is one example.

post #37 of 39 Old 11-12-15, 11:27 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
AudioPost wrote: View Post
If you mean that by increasing the density of digital information we run the risk of degrading accuracy to analogue levels of accuracy then yes, possibly a fair statement. If you mean that analogue is more accurate than digital and that by increasing the density of digital information we would get more accurate digital, then no, your statement is utterly incorrect.
Increasing the density of digital information reduces quantization noise, the bugbear of digital reproduction. The evidence can be seen in Hi Resolution digital (higher than 16/44), which makes the stair steps smaller.... more analog-like wave forms are reproduced.

Quote:
This statement is absolutely correct. The point you appear to be missing though, is that this fact is exactly what makes digital so inherently more accurate than analogue! Analogue attempts to perfectly record a continuously varying signal, which is possible only up to a combination of the physical limitations of electrical, electro-magnetic and mechanical components. Digital audio on the other hand just records data, namely; a relatively few coordinates which allow the original signal to be mathematically recreated perfectly. The fact that we can mathematically perfectly dissect and reconstruct a continuously varying signal is not disputed, except by "flat earthers" ignorant of the undisputed proofs or those deliberately lying about them.

G
High resolution digital approaches, perhaps exceeds, the capabilities of analog reproduction. 16/44, as the article I linked to points out, is a data lossy medium. All recording mediums can be said to be data lossy, some more than others.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #38 of 39 Old 11-13-15, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

This was meant to be an informative and entertaining thread. When discovered that the thread's premise was questionable, I acknowledged that fact. Unfortunately, some members became extremely disrespectful and argumentative. Scientists embrace the unknown with open minds. That' how technology advances. Thread closed to further discussion.

post #39 of 39 Old 11-13-15, 03:25 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Let me be very clear. It is OK to disagree. It is not OK, however, to deride others, or a group, because one thinks that his/her view is more correct than another's view.

No matter how sure you are of your facts, there is always room for discussion. The discussion should be targeting ideas, not others. Calling others irrational, or referring to a group(e.g. audiophiles) similarly, is not the way we conduct discussions here. Keep to YOUR point and discuss what others say respectfully.

HTS has always required this kind of mutual respect and civil discourse and it is one of the things that set us apart from other forums. There are plenty of places you can go if you want to bicker or demean others. No one will be allowed to do it here.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Closed Thread