Whatever happened to real music? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 Old 04-20-15, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
 
Lumen's Avatar
Lou
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,261
My System
Re: Whatever happened to real music?

Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote: View Post
Why ouch? It is just as likely you won't care for what I like but there's no reason why each of us cannot be happy.
Hello Kal! True words, and no hard feelings. Your celebrity status as a reviewer/editor in the audiophile world intimidated me, so I took your post personally. "Ouch?" seemed like a safe reply. Just letting out my feminine side

BTW, I don't like the band in the video or what they're playing. I do like it for it's comical relief (i.e. I truly LOL each time I see it). Just thought others would react the same way. My intro write-up wasn't the best means to that end.

.
I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Lumen; 04-20-15 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Forgot comment about OP
Lumen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 27 Old 04-20-15, 10:19 AM
Senior Shackster
koyaan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sanford , NC
Posts: 359
My System
Re: Whatever happened to real music?

Could be why we're still listening to JS Bach 300 years later. Pop music just isn't made for the long run.
Though music doesn't have to be old to be good. Kerry Turner is a case in point.
koyaan is offline  
post #13 of 27 Old 04-20-15, 11:05 AM
Elite Shackster
Charlie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,539
My System
The fans of any particular genre of music might disagree that any other particular genre is worth listening too.
Classical music might be just as unbearable to an individual as gangster rap is to a different individual.
chashint is offline  
 
post #14 of 27 Old 04-20-15, 04:16 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC + CT
Posts: 1,839
Re: Whatever happened to real music?

Quote:
koyaan wrote: View Post
Could be why we're still listening to JS Bach 300 years later. Pop music just isn't made for the long run. Though music doesn't have to be old to be good. Kerry Turner is a case in point.
Time and history filter whatever is popular so that we are left with what's best from the past..........in any genre.

Kal Rubinson
__________________________________
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #15 of 27 Old 04-26-15, 05:28 AM
Senior Shackster
 
Philm63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Plain City, OH
Posts: 175
Re: Whatever happened to real music?

Quote:
chashint wrote: View Post
The fans of any particular genre of music might disagree that any other particular genre is worth listening too.
Classical music might be just as unbearable to an individual as gangster rap is to a different individual.
Personally; my collection includes the likes of Mozart, Ludacris, Josh Groban, Diana Krall, and Metallica, and I listen to all of them with equal enthusiasm. But that snipet in Lou's OP; not sure what to think about that one. Hard to listen to. For me. But it was a live performance, and there was, I assume, an audience...?

Interesting topic, indeed.
Philm63 is offline  
post #16 of 27 Old 04-26-15, 11:49 AM
Plain ole user
 
lcaillo's Avatar
Tech Guru
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL, USA
Posts: 11,121
Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Whatever happened to real music?

There has never been a problem finding bad music and bad sound. Pervasive media access makes it that much easier. I do wonder what the appeal is, but don't spend much time on that thought.

I think there is lots of good music these days. Lots of talented people are getting heard that would never have been known thirty years ago. At the same time there is more to filter.




Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
lcaillo is offline  
post #17 of 27 Old 04-28-15, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
 
Lumen's Avatar
Lou
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,261
My System
Quote:
Philm63 wrote: View Post
Personally; my collection includes the likes of Mozart, Ludacris, Josh Groban, Diana Krall, and Metallica, and I listen to all of them with equal enthusiasm. But that snipet in Lou's OP; not sure what to think about that one. Hard to listen to. For me. But it was a live performance, and there was, I assume, an audience...? Interesting topic, indeed.
Your musical taste has quite a range. I think that's the case with more people than not; but the sharply divided opinions on many other forums make their existence seem questionable. Having a wIde range of interests is a good thing in my opinion, and fosters personal growth. Elementary and secondary students enrolled in a music class have been shown to perform better in other subjects. It's a shame that music is one of the first curriculums to fall under the budget cutting axe.

Sent from my iPad using HTShack

.
I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Lumen is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old 04-29-15, 08:40 AM
Senior Shackster
 
Philm63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Plain City, OH
Posts: 175
Re: Whatever happened to real music?

Quote:
BlueRockinLou wrote: View Post
Your musical taste has quite a range. I think that's the case with more people than not; but the sharply divided opinions on many other forums make their existence seem questionable. Having a wIde range of interests is a good thing in my opinion, and fosters personal growth. Elementary and secondary students enrolled in a music class have been shown to perform better in other subjects. It's a shame that music is one of the first curriculums to fall under the budget cutting axe.

Sent from my iPad using HTShack
I did grow up with music - played in band (alto sax), orchestra (cello and string bass) and jazz band (electric bass) all through my elementary and jr. high school years. Most kids back then didn't care much for Mozart. Me? I lived for it. Oddly. But I suppose that's where the breadth of music appreciation comes from - knowing how it's made lends to a greater appreciation, IMHO.

Now if we can just get more recording companies to mix it like it sounds in real life...
Philm63 is offline  
post #19 of 27 Old 04-29-15, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
 
Lumen's Avatar
Lou
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,261
My System
Quote:
Philm63 wrote: View Post
I did grow up with music - played in band (alto sax), orchestra (cello and string bass) and jazz band (electric bass) all through my elementary and jr. high school years. Most kids back then didn't care much for Mozart. Me? I lived for it. Oddly. But I suppose that's where the breadth of music appreciation comes from - knowing how it's made lends to a greater appreciation, IMHO. Now if we can just get more recording companies to mix it like it sounds in real life...
Your "oddity" is more of a "minority" in the greater scheme of things. Classical music carries not so much a superiority as it does a complexity. Consider how Ralph Machio defeated his rival in a dueling guitar battle (from the film "Crossroads"). His Classical music lessons paid off big time!

as far as capturing the sound...
You might want to check out this discussion http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...producers.html and this one ____________ (TBD... reached my bus stop so gotta go)

Sent from my iPad using HTShack

.
I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Lumen is offline  
post #20 of 27 Old 04-29-15, 05:02 PM
Elite Shackster
 
willis7469's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: minnesota
Posts: 3,921
My System
Not to mention Ralph had Steve via (or joe satriani,can't remember off hand) behind the wizards curtain! Lol
willis7469 is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
happened , music , real

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome