Whatever happened to real music? - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 27 Old 04-30-15, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System
Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Not to mention Ralph had Steve via (or joe satriani,can't remember off hand) behind the wizards curtain! Lol
Interesting! Thanks for that! Sorry for abrupt answer from Bouncy-Bus!

Sent from my iPad using HTShack

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 04-30-15, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System
Re: Whatever happened to real music?

Quote:
BlueRockinLou wrote: View Post
as far as capturing the sound...
You might want to check out this discussion http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...producers.html and this one ____________ (TBD... reached my bus stop so gotta go)

Sent from my iPad using HTShack
Apologies to you too, Philm63, for that abrupt ending to my earlier post. Click HERE for the second discussion I promised to reference.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am

post #23 of 27 Old 05-26-15, 08:09 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Well, it all started when a group of used car dealers in Texas wound up in the radio business because the radio group they loaned some cash to couldn't pay it back. Then they spent a year analyzing just how little music they could play and still retain listeners, since the ads made the money.

Fast forward to 1996 when President Clinton deregulated the industry and allowed a media group to own more than 40 stations. Clear Channel now owns over 1100 stations. Not to mention the venues, promotions and management companies, etc. that they own and operate. They can literally pull a kid out of a bathroom stall at a freeway rest stop and make him the next Blake Shelton if they want to.

Record labels now have fewer people to cater to. They can produce fewer records and get the same airplay. And they've since discovered that they can spend even LESS money producing FEWER artists if they develop "crossover artists" that Clear Channel will play on multiple formats - think Taylor Swift.

So not only do you now have fewer songs played on the radio, you have fewer artists recording those songs. For the major labels, anyway.

I'm by no means saying there's no good music out there. There's GREAT music out there. The fact that anyone can open up a laptop or iPad and record a song can be both good and bad. Think of all the kids out there that are musical prodigies living in some small town in the midwest that would've never stood a chance of being discovered. Now they can publish their own stuff. You just have to wade through the garbage to get to it. And believe me, there's a lot of garbage - thanks to American Idol putting the terrible singers on television alongside the handful that have a bit of talent.

My method of discovering good new music:
Pick one of your favorite artists. If they're playing smaller venues, skip the next step.
If they already play arenas and stadiums, start an iTunes Music or Pandora playlist. Listen to the other artists in that playlist.
Pull a few you've never heard of but like.
Pull up their tour schedule on Pollstar.com.
See what venue they're playing at in San Francisco.
Go sample every other band booked at that venue.
You'll find new music.

post #24 of 27 Old 05-26-15, 08:11 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Also, go watch this. I think it's still on hulu.com.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0760307/
post #25 of 27 Old 06-02-15, 07:38 AM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Not going to say I liked it, It did tickle my interest a little.

What I did enjoy was seeing young musicians willing to experiment. In 10 years they may be rocking the world with fantastic music way beyond anything we can imagine. Or not.

There's a lot of what I like that could very well end up in snippets such as the one in the first post. Music is the most personal of the arts, as far as I can tell.

The right to poke fun goes hand in hand with the right to make a joyful or heartfelt vibration and call it music.

Of course we are just having fun here, not looking for a deep philosophical discussion. And I can laugh at some music like the next guy, but usually because it is so commercial, not for experimentation. I'm extremely liberal about what is good or bad about art. You haven't heard some of the stuff I've written. Probably never will.
post #26 of 27 Old 06-02-15, 11:32 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
BlueRockinLou wrote: View Post
Is there an explanation for what people like? Can you account for taste? To each their own! Check out this little snippet.
Reminds me of Yoko Ono. LOL

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #27 of 27 Old 05-23-17, 03:52 PM
Shackster

Good music is around just takes some looking into i.e.

Meadowlark - Postcards

CRNKN - The Grip (Feat. Sara Kendall)

Forest Swords - Panic

Emmit Fenn - 1995

Paradisia - Dancing In The Dark

Interstellar - Victor Ruiz