Whatever happened to real music? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 04-17-15, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
 
Lumen's Avatar
Lou
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,261
My System
Whatever happened to real music?

Is there an explanation for what people like? Can you account for taste? To each their own! Check out this little snippet.

.
I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Lumen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 04-17-15, 09:15 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC + CT
Posts: 1,839
Re: Whatever happened to real music?

Quote:
BlueRockinLou wrote: View Post
Is there an explanation for what people like? Can you account for taste? To each their own! Check out this little snippet.
You got my curiosity but, fortunately, I keep my computer muted by default, so when that little snippet came up, I was spared. I do not have to listen to that to know I don't want to listen to it but there is a long history of acceptance of "de gustibus non est disputandum." I probably dislike what you like but so what?

Kal Rubinson
__________________________________
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 04-17-15, 10:41 AM
Elite Shackster
 
JBrax's Avatar
Jeff
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,363
My System
That was brutal! Not a speaker made that can fix that sound.
JBrax is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 Old 04-17-15, 10:46 AM
Elite Shackster
 
tonyvdb's Avatar
Tony
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Can
Posts: 15,054
My System
Re: Whatever happened to real music?

auto tune LOL

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

tonyvdb is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 04-17-15, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
 
Lumen's Avatar
Lou
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,261
My System
Re: Whatever happened to real music?

Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote: View Post
You got my curiosity but, fortunately, I keep my computer muted by default, so when that little snippet came up, I was spared. I do not have to listen to that to know I don't want to listen to it but there is a long history of acceptance of "de gustibus non est disputandum." I probably dislike what you like but so what?
Ouch?

.
I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Lumen is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 04-17-15, 03:23 PM
Elite Shackster
 
willis7469's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: minnesota
Posts: 3,921
My System
Well..... That was fun?
It's a good question Lou. I think lots of today's popular music is just garbage. The art of building,and crafting a song has been lost to the formula. Why are so many modern songs into the chorus after one measure? To hurry up and get it over with and to get on to the next song. No craft any more.
willis7469 is online now  
post #7 of 27 Old 04-17-15, 03:50 PM
Elite Shackster
 
robbo266317's Avatar
bigbadbill
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Newcastle Australia
Posts: 5,771
Re: Whatever happened to real music?

The biggest problem is the industry and their formula of "what people will buy". A lot of artists get rejected because it doesn't fit their mold.
Thankfully we still have independent labels and radio stations that are willing to listen to new and unique material.
Locally we have the ABC radio Triple J that has an "Unearthed" competition each year to find new, unrecorded, talent.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
robbo266317 is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 04-17-15, 04:53 PM
Elite Shackster
 
tonyvdb's Avatar
Tony
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Can
Posts: 15,054
My System
Re: Whatever happened to real music?

You know where I find there is a lot of hidden talent? In the churches that have good worship bands. Our church alone has had three different individuals/bands produce CDs that get radio play just in the last 5 years.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

tonyvdb is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 04-20-15, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
 
Lumen's Avatar
Lou
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,261
My System
Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Well..... That was fun? It's a good question Lou. I think lots of today's popular music is just garbage. The art of building,and crafting a song has been lost to the formula. Why are so many modern songs into the chorus after one measure? To hurry up and get it over with and to get on to the next song. No craft any more.
Yes, seems like anyone with a computer can create songs using drum tracks and sound bites. Some put enough effort into that type of craft to have something worthwhile to listen to come out the other end. And speaking of quick, short songs: have you ever seen/heard the "A Song In 60 Seconds" music videos on Palladia? Some of them are quite good, and the artists have interesting personalities/character. Both Dish Network and DirecTV carry the Palladia station.

Quote:
robbo266317 wrote: View Post
The biggest problem is the industry and their formula of "what people will buy". A lot of artists get rejected because it doesn't fit their mold. Thankfully we still have independent labels and radio stations that are willing to listen to new and unique material. Locally we have the ABC radio Triple J that has an "Unearthed" competition each year to find new, unrecorded, talent.
I'm with you on this! Record companies used to recognize potential talent, take qualifying bands under their wing, and help nurture their development into superstars. Many times they just find a pretty face with fashionable moves. Have to go with what sells the most. No time to help artists mature. Your local competition breathes new life into a much needed rejuvenation of the musical arts.

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
You know where I find there is a lot of hidden talent? In the churches that have good worship bands. Our church alone has had three different individuals/bands produce CDs that get radio play just in the last 5 years.
This is very true! Hard to discuss this without offending someone, so I'll try not to. Used to be that worship bands were more about pushing the underlying message onto their audience. Present day worship bands (my son was a bass player for a good while) churn out some very catchy tunes with sophisticated lyrics. Congrats on your hard earned airplay!

Sent from my iPad using HTShack

.
I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Lumen is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 04-20-15, 08:23 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC + CT
Posts: 1,839
Re: Whatever happened to real music?

Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote: View Post
You got my curiosity but, fortunately, I keep my computer muted by default, so when that little snippet came up, I was spared. I do not have to listen to that to know I don't want to listen to it but there is a long history of acceptance of "de gustibus non est disputandum." I probably dislike what you like but so what?
Quote:
BlueRockinLou wrote: View Post
Ouch?
Why ouch? It is just as likely you won't care for what I like but there's no reason why each of us cannot be happy.

Kal Rubinson
__________________________________
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Kal Rubinson is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
happened , music , real

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome