SA-CD? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 37 Old 05-18-15, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

btsudsy

SA-CD?

I am thinking about getting into SA-CD, with select favorite titles, such as Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and a few others. List will undoubtedly expand if I see a noticeable sonic improvement over cds. Now to my question, will an economical player like a Sony BDPS 6200 ($ 130 CDN) do the trick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 05-18-15, 04:52 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Re: SA-CD?

Most regular Bluray players will not work with SACD. Take a look at Oppo's universal players. Afraid there are no "economy" (under $100) SACD players out there.
post #3 of 37 Old 05-18-15, 05:43 PM

Ron

My System

Here are 2 that will play SACDs... Pioneer 563A or Sony SCD-CE595. In addition I believe all PS3s will play them. I have the old "Fatboy" PS3, and it plays them fine. If you get an old one you might be able to rip them to your HDD too. There are also some places that will rip them for you to a HDD, and then you can play them on your HDD or NAS.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..

post #4 of 37 Old 05-18-15, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

btsudsy

The Sony BDPS- 3200, 3500 , 5100 , 5200, 6200 all list SA-CD in Audio Disc Formats Supported. Maybe similar to PS3 from Sony.
post #5 of 37 Old 05-18-15, 06:44 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
Blainetsuds wrote: View Post
The Sony BDPS- 3200, 3500 , 5100 , 5200, 6200 all list SA-CD in Audio Disc Formats Supported. Maybe similar to PS3 from Sony.
Looking at the Sony BDP-S6200 manual, there is no mention of playing SACD (or SA-CD) disks. It mentions handling of DSD files (p. 29), I suspect from an external USB-connected hard drive, an entirely different matter.

Any player that handles SACD disks directly usually makes a pretty big deal about it. They are usually higher-end "universal" players. The PS3 seems to be an odd exception.
post #6 of 37 Old 05-18-15, 08:48 PM

Ron

My System

Some of the Sony DVD changers also handle SACDs... Here is one on eBay right now for a little over what you are wanting to pay that will play SACDs... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-DVP-CX9...-/201352025380

Others for less...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-DVP-CX9...52025380&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-DVP-CX9...52025380&rt=nc

CD changers...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

CD players...
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/sacd-player

Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #7 of 37 Old 05-18-15, 09:02 PM

Ron

My System

If you don't mind used...there are quite a few that will fit your budget on eBay right now. One is currently $2.50! The Denon 2910 is a good unit (I used to have one years ago and really liked it). I am only linking what I found that would possibly work for you... I am not in any way affiliated with any of the listed sales.

post #8 of 37 Old 05-19-15, 06:22 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

If your not interested in playing movies then the Sony CDP-CE500 would do the trick at a decent price.
Also many of the older Sony DVD players can do it as well, I have a Sony BDP S580 that can be bought used and it works great.

You can find em. Good Luck.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #9 of 37 Old 05-19-15, 10:24 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Looking at the Sony BDP-S6200 manual, there is no mention of playing SACD (or SA-CD) disks. It mentions handling of DSD files (p. 29), I suspect from an external USB-connected hard drive, an entirely different matter.

Any player that handles SACD disks directly usually makes a pretty big deal about it. They are usually higher-end "universal" players. The PS3 seems to be an odd exception.
I just found a link to another Forum where a user posted that it does play stereo, and multichannel SACDs even though it isn't listed...the user said that is why he bought it.

mtenga said: ↑
Does it do multichannel SACD? When I looked into this series a few months back I thought only the top model did. That was a differentiator between the top two. Don't remember now.

Yes, the options allow you to choose between stereo and multichannel SACD.

A little more info...
hi angeldust1
do this:
Video Settings:
Output Video Resolution 720p or higher ,before its only Stereo.
Audio Settings:
DSD on (if your AV encode DSD) otherwise PCM
Music Settings:
CD-layer/SACD-layer
DSD Stereo or multi

download the Firmware from sony and update the Player!
after that you get Music Options.
with the Firmware update it Plays DSD-discs, made with korg audiogate,in Stereo only.but there is another option: take any pcm/ flac/wave/diff/dsf/Stereo/Multi files and burn it as data-DVD.

post #10 of 37 Old 05-19-15, 12:36 PM
Inactive

My System

OP, if you can't find an appropriately-priced BD player to address your needs, try snagging yourself a gently-used OPPO DV-980H. It's a solid upconverting DVD player and it plays both SACD and DVD-A discs. IMO (having owned two of them), a fair price for one is no more than $60.

FWIW, I have the BDP-6200. I'll try out an SACD (I have DSotM) when I get home tonight and post the results.

Last edited by 86eldel68-deactivated; 05-19-15 at 06:34 PM.