Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

What's your all time favorite group/band?

42K views 115 replies 84 participants last post by  Sanders.1 
#1 ·
What's your top 5 favorite all time group/band? If you could only choose 5, which would you choose?

1. Pink Floyd
2. Eagles
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Lynyrd Skynyrd
5. Fleetwood Mac

What can I say... I'm a classic rock man!

#5 ·
Greatest Rock and Roll band ever -- The Rolling Stones
They have been in my top 10 for as long as I can remember. And if you've ever seen their show live, well, then you understand why they are the greatest.

Right now, my favorite band is Flogging Molly.
Other bands that have held the top spot at one time are:
  1. Bang Tango -- Kind of a funk hair band
  2. Swamp Zombies -- kind of a beatnik version of the Violent Femmes
  3. Concrete Blond -- I just love the CD Bloodletting
  4. AC DC -- Back in Black is still a desert island disk
  5. Social Distortion -- I can't tell you how many times I've heard Somewhere Between Heaven and ****
  6. Jack Johnson -- When I'm in a mellow-lean-your-head-back-and-chill kind of mood
  7. The Queers -- Sophomoric punk band
  8. Guns N Roses -- Appetite for Destruction, nuff said
  9. Leon Redbone -- Don't know if it's Jazz or Blues, I just know I like it

That's all I can think of right now.. I'm sure there are others, but that will get me started.

Kind of ecletic huh?

JCD

#6 ·
Fincave likes Violent Femmes!

Flogging Molly? Bang Tango? Okay... I've heard of ACDC, GNR, and Leon, but I'm lost with the rest. I would have to say very diverse.

Some of my other favorites outside of classic rock, my favorite genre, would be:

Yello
Flim & the BB's
Spyro Gyra
Sarah Brightman
Whitney Houston
Collective Soul
Lenny Kravitz

I don't know if there's much current stuff I like other than maybe Gavin DeGraw.

But I just can't bump these up into my top 5.

#7 ·
Other bands that I like would include: (taking liberties seeing as though we can list more than five;) )

Violent Femmes (as noted by Sonnie)
PJ Harvey
Arno
Bob Dylan
David Bowie
Lou Reed
Velvet Underground
The Pogues
The Popes
AC/DC
Vaya con Dios
Marianne Faithfull
Ben Harper
Mark Lanegan
The Stranglers
Dead Kennedys
The Cramps
The Clash
The Stranglers
Rolling Stones
Jethro Tull
Janis Joplin
Tom Waits
The Who

Never heard of Swamp Zombies but if they can be mentioned in the same breathe as Violent Femmes then I will have to see if I can get hold of some of their stuff

#8 ·
Yeah, I couldn't stop at just five.. :rolleyes:

And you will probably have some problems finding much on the Swamp Zombies. They haven't been around for a long while and I think their record label went belly up. You can see the one video I know here, but it's not my favorite song by them.. not my least favorite either.

I'll be curious to see what you think. I've had some people like them, some not so much..

JCD

#9 ·
My tastes keep changing, but in the last ten years I have listened over and over to:

Christian - Michael Card
Jazz/Funk - Harry Connick Jr.
Guitarist - Satriani
Progressive Metal - Ayreon (obviously)
Psychedelic - Pink Floyd
Classical(ish) Soundtrack - Spirited Away

G
#10 ·
I must concur with JCD, that the Stones live is truly a great experience. The best $80 I ever earned. Yes, earned, I "worked" security when the show came to the Edward Jones Dome several years ago. By "worked" I mean wore a matching tee-shirt as 100 other people and held a flashlight in my hand. I didn't expect much being that it was in a 60,000+ seat footbal stadium but I was wrong. I was lucky enough to get to work the stage--ie, I was closer than the front row. Amazing what those 60+ year old guys can still do. Great show.

Probably my favorite all-time band is the Urge. I have seen them several times. The best was in a very small club years ago when they "opened" for 311. What a great show that was. total capacity of a few hundred people. This was obviously before 311 got as huge as they did in the late 90's.

I like so many different types of music it is hard to put together a list of "favorites."
never the less, here I go in no particular order.

Alt/newer rock:
Urge
Collective soul
Cranberries

Classic rock:
stones
petty
phil collins/genesis
Floyd
Walsh

"Mood" type stuff: (I know, I know, call me "Sally"--can't help it time to time)
enigma
Enya
Yanni--let the name calling begin

Hard rock:
Metallica
Ministry
Tool
Korn
Godsmack
Rollins

Rap: (All "old school"--I told you I liked all kinds of stuff)
NWA--and all of the solo spin offs--EAZY-E, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube
Too Short
DJ Quick
Ghetto Boyz
Ice T

Allen Jackson

Soft Rock:
Jack johnson
Dave Mathews
John Mayer
David Gray
Sarah Mcglaughlin
Natalie Merchant

Other Misc that I don't have a category nor explination for:
Madonna's new dance stuff

Probably my most listened to disc: City of Angels soundtrack--a little bit of everything, blues, rock, pop, soft melodies, classical--very diverse and all very good.

#11 ·
JCD said:
Yeah, I couldn't stop at just five.. :rolleyes:

And you will probably have some problems finding much on the Swamp Zombies. They haven't been around for a long while and I think their record label went belly up. You can see the one video I know here, but it's not my favorite song by them.. not my least favorite either.

I'll be curious to see what you think. I've had some people like them, some not so much..

JCD
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but have found a few of their discs and would like to know which you would recommend, the choices are 'Spunk' and *Frenzy of muic and action'

#12 ·
Well, to be honest, it's been a while since I've heard both albums, but I'd go with the Frenzy of Music and Action.

If you can find it, my favorite album by Swamp Zombies is Fink. It may be because it was their first album I bought that I like it best, but, I'm gonna still say the first was the best.

If you do pull the trigger, let me know what you think. It's different with a sense of humor, both of which I like.

JCD

#16 ·
The Doors
Jimi Hendrix
The Allman Brothers
Led Zeppelin
Heart

#19 ·
Loved that Midnight Oil CD when it came out in '90. Quite a statement album.
There's a Rolling Stone review of it floating around somewhere...

My choices for bands:
Pearl Jam
Tool
Godsmack
Staind
The Cure
U2

For artists:
NIN
Jonatha Brooke
Damien Rice
Beck
Neil Finn

For composers:
Beethoven
Mozart
Bach

Quite eclectic I know :D.

Also, I'm a sucker for multi-channel music of any kind.

#21 ·
You know I completely forgot about that fat man in the bathtub who was once a dixie chicken down on the farm wearing sailin' shoes crying I got a rocket in my pocket, feats don't fail me now.

One of my all time favorite bands... I can't believe I just totally forgot to list them. I might have to bump them up ahead of Fleetwood Mac. Man.... I just had some of their CD's out earlier.

#22 ·
I'm going to add just a few of my all time favorite artists:
1. The Dramatics
2. The O'Jays
3. Al Green
4. After 7
5. Duke Ellington

#25 ·
Like many others I have a hard time identifying just one band or artists. I suspect it would be different from time to time depending on my mood.

I was surprised to see Tool listed more than once here. I would add my support for them also. On the heavier side I also like Stabbing Westward and Stained. On the Canadian front Tea Party and Moist come to mind.

There are a lot of classic rock bands that I love too but the question is for one. If I think of it in terms of being stranded on a desert island and I only have one artist's complete works then I think it would be Sarah McLachlan. I much prefer the sound of a female voice and hers is particularly soothing. More than anything I rely on music to sooth my soul and that makes music like Sarah's a necessity for me.

Like many though I really can't imagine not having the variety I have available to me with my current 30GB of VBR mp3s. In my collection there is music from the Carpenters, Tool, Sade, ELP, Metallica, and various other types of music.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.