Feel the Love of Digitized Vinyl! - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 21 Old 09-23-15, 10:38 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System
Re: Feel the Love of Digitized Vinyl!

I do look to hear your thoughts on the best compression form to use, as well as Wav files. I use FLAC now as it is so universal, but I cannot say that is the best.
What about saving the files in a fairly large size onto a backup hard drive or a large main drive ?

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 09-23-15, 11:48 AM
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

DSP...
I normalize everything that I digitize into my computer (i.e. vinyl, CD, downloads) with dBpoweramp's EBUR128Normalize. This raises or lowers the audio level of the entire track as a whole, I never compress the audio range. This helps to combat the 'loudness wars' which causes a lot of distortion.
I haven't EQ'd any files yet but there are definitely some I would like to try eventually.

FILE FORMAT...
Huge file sizes don't scare me, I used to use WAV, but it doesn't always store & transfer embedded info well.
Now I always use FLAC because it is lossless and stores & transfers embedded info well.
post #13 of 21 Old 09-23-15, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
I do look to hear your thoughts on the best compression form to use, as well as Wav files. I use FLAC now as it is so universal, but I cannot say that is the best.
Hi Jack, good to hear from you! By "compression" I meant the manipulation (GASP!) of the analog signal before output in the final format. Compressor/Limiters, are considered by some of the audio-elite to be worse than equalization (GASP! again!!). Yet in the right hands (read: with a light touch), compression/limiting can polish a recording to professional standards. The purpose is to optimize the source material for the recorder, be it software or hardware based. Here is an excellent article all about compressors.

But you raise a good point concerning storage format and media. I, too, prefer FLAC not just because of it's high sound quality, but also because of its compact size relative to WAV files. Without getting too far off-topic, I think that--and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't have the info at my fingertips--FLAC files also store artists/title metadata, unlike WAV. Again, not meaning to take this off into a discussion of formats and codecs; just indulging a little in my own thread, Hah!

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
What about saving the files in a fairly large size onto a backup hard drive or a large main drive ?
That's what my hard drive recorder does, but I've been unable to access those darling 1's and 0's directly from any of the recorders digital outputs (another story for another time). For the time being, my ADC transcription projects are relegated to using CD's as a temp medium, which must then be ripped onto the server/player's HD. The Masterlink can create either Redbook CD's or FLAC-file "data" discs. The latter can only be decoded/played on the Masterlink, but computers recognize the data as FLAC formatted files. A large music collection can start to chew up HD space, so I eventually plan to add NAS like the Synology series.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #14 of 21 Old 09-23-15, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
gdstupak wrote: View Post
DSP...
I normalize everything that I digitize into my computer (i.e. vinyl, CD, downloads) with dBpoweramp's EBUR128Normalize. This raises or lowers the audio level of the entire track as a whole...
Hi Glenn! Normalizing is our friend when it comes to keeping things at the same volume between tracks and sources. Few things bother us more than having to dive for the volume control every song change! For those interested in the technical aspect, a normalizer scans a track for the highest peak and then assigns that value as digital full-scale. All other signal levels are adjusted accordingly as a whole, inflicting no damage to the source.

Quote:
I never compress the audio range. This helps to combat the 'loudness wars' which causes a lot of distortion.
Sorry I crossed-in-the-mail. See this article for an alternate view.

Quote:
I haven't EQ'd any files yet but there are definitely some I would like to try eventually.
Being a neurotically-oriented, obsessive/compulsive perfectionist, I'm hesitant to EQ for fear it will sound wrong during listening sessions. I think I'd wish I'd done something different. Like you, I consider trying to EQ some songs, but stop short out of fear I'd never be able to stop twiddling the controls!

post #15 of 21 Old 09-23-15, 12:50 PM
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

I understand that compressing is a necessity, but that is the job of the sound engineer in a recording studio.
I'm simply transferring a recording from one media to another. I usually don't want to alter the original recording by doing my own compressing.

Earlier I shouldn't have written that I never compress audio dynamics...
There are instances where more compression is needed and I have dabbled with it a little. I listen to some classical music which contains a huge dynamic range.
Listening at home, this huge dynamic range is appreciated.
But listening to the same audio in a loud environment (i.e. car, subway..) will cause much of the quieter passages to be 'lost.' For this situation, I have made a separate audio file with more audio compression which makes the quieter passages louder.
post #16 of 21 Old 09-23-15, 04:11 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

I am wondering if some EQ may be needed in changing an RIAA curve album to a digital signal. I remember the trouble early adopters had in trying to make the analog tapes used to make records sound good when being transferred, would this same problem occur in this instance ??

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #17 of 21 Old 09-23-15, 04:22 PM
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

Jack,

If you use a good phono preamp between the turntable and the recording device (computer), then the audio should be re-eq'd already (by the phono pramp). If a phono preamp isn't used, there are computer programs to incorporate the proper RIAA re-eq'ing.

Of course just because the audio was properly re-eq'd, doesn't mean that you will like it. So you may want to do some of your own tweaking anyway.
post #18 of 21 Old 09-25-15, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Indeed! Some people are unaware of the different EQ curves used in both recording and playback. I think that most curves were developed in the first half of the 1900's. Does anyone know how to determine which curve a particular album used? Is it included in credits on the sleeve or jacket?

post #19 of 21 Old 09-25-15, 02:49 PM
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

For vinyl cutting, after 1955 the industry had one curve that should have been used for all vinyl. If the 1955 curve wasn't used it should be noted somewhere.

For playback, the phono preamp should note which curve it uses.
post #20 of 21 Old 09-25-15, 05:34 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

You guys are really overthinking this, just do what I did as a kid. Place your vinyl on your record player, stick a cassette in your Radio Shack cassette recorder, place next to a speaker and press Record and Play at the same time. Set tone arm down on vinyl...

Mark