Feel the Love of Digitized Vinyl! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 21 Old 09-16-15, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System
Feel the Love of Digitized Vinyl!

C'mon now, admit it: those beautifully tactful albums are taking up too much space and you really, really want to free some of it up by digitizing some or all of your collection. But you'd rather not give up the "character" that makes vinyl so attractive to you.
  • So how do you translate those undulating grooves into 1's and 0's?
  • Should you create redbook CD's, FLAC files, or DSD files?
  • Are USB turntables an option for serious archival?
  • Do they sound close enough to the original?

C'mon now--you know you want to! Go ahead and share your questions, tips, and experience for all things "Digitizing Vinyl"

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-16-15, 10:26 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Feel the Love of Digitized Vinyl!

LOL Lou,
Most of the USB turntables are not very good quality from what Ive read so it would be better to hook up the turntable you already have or buy a better one than a USB one to your receiver as usual and then take a zone two out or tape out (if you still have one) and run that to the computer and record it that way.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 21 Old 09-16-15, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Interesting take on that, Tony. Here's an internal $200 sound card an audiophile could love. I'm sure some HTS members have their favorites. Hope to hear some of them check in!

I've not yet made the leap, but am in the planning stages. For now I'm using an Alesis ML-9600 Masterlink HD Recorder to create FLAC files on HD, which it can then burn to either Redbook CD or FLAC files (about one vinyl side per CD) in resolutions up to 24/96. Not really an efficient way, since I have to then rip the CD to a server or NAS. Also not a popular solution for the vast majority here, since the unit has long been discontinued and has analog-to-digital converters which are antique by today's standards.

post #4 of 21 Old 09-16-15, 02:04 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Its ok Lumen, this too shall pass and you will place those licorice discs onto your most awesome turntable while finding a bit of storage space....in my home for example. No digital copy of those round 12" joy bubbles will never sound as good as your analog set up brother.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #5 of 21 Old 09-16-15, 02:56 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
Sell the LPs.
Sell the turntable.
Buy CDs.
Rip CDs to format of choice.

Depending on size of LP collection the time saved is worth more than the price of CDs especially if you tap the used mail order market.
As far as the character of the LPs....that hiss, pops, and clicks won't be missed at all.
post #6 of 21 Old 09-17-15, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
chashint wrote: View Post
Sell the LPs.
Sell the turntable.
Buy CDs.
Rip CDs to format of choice.

Depending on size of LP collection the time saved is worth more than the price of CDs especially if you tap the used mail order market.
Your right that time is precious, Charlie. And I like your practical concept for those tunes that can be digitally replaced, and for those albums that have more than average wear. Yet there are several analog renditions in my collection that present a significant improvement over their digital cousins. Lynyrd Skynyrd's "One More From the Road" comes to mind. Both the original and remastered CD's are unlistenable to me on revealing and properly set up systems. I cherish that LP for its totally musical and involving presentation. Other examples are Supertramp's "Breakfast in America" and REO Speedwagon's "You can Tune a Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish." FWIW, I was perfectly and innocently happy with their SQ on my earlier systems that stamped each tune with its own homogenous character.

Quote:
chashint wrote: View Post
As far as the character of the LPs....that hiss, pops, and clicks won't be missed at all.
Really? The mantra of the masses?
Clean records (I use a VPI wet vacuum) and a good turntable reduce typical vinyl noise to a bare minimum. It's an eye (and mind) opener! Some say that the vinyl's imperfections prevent suspension of disbelief. Others say digital's "nasties" prevent immersion in the first place. It's a personal choice, not an absolute.

For those comfortably worn albums that sneak past Tier-1 defenses of quality gear and cleaning, up pops (hah-hah) Tier-2 with tremendous benefits courtesy of KLH Burwen Research TNE7000A for click/pop suppression and DNF1201A for hiss reduction. Anyway, most of my LPs are in very good to excellent condition, so Tier-2 "gimmicks" can be bypassed.

post #7 of 21 Old 09-17-15, 10:36 PM
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

Recording Vinyl...

Turntable= Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. (I'll pass on USB turntables)
Cartridge= Ortofon 2M Red.
Phono Preamp= TCC TC-760LC.
Computer Soundcard= Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 2G.
Computer Software for Vinyl Audio Recording & Processing= AlpineSoft VinylStudio.
Recorded as= FLAC (lossless), 96kHz, 24bit.
Computer Audio Software= J River Media Center
Results= digital recording sounds much better than the original vinyl because VinylStudio takes out the ticks, pops, and hiss.

I don't do this because I think vinyl sounds better than digital/CD. I do this because my parents have a collection of vinyl not available as digital/CD.

Personally I like digital and believe it to be a much more transparent recording/playback process. Sure, vinyl can sound better than a digital recording if the vinyl is mastered better than the digital. But if digital is done properly, there are fewer downsides than analog.
I'm not sure what 'nasties' are present with a proper digital process. Yes, in the 1980's there were very bad digital converters that produced bad sounding digital/CD, but that is in the past. Now, digital sounds like crud simply because of bad recording/mastering choices.
post #8 of 21 Old 09-21-15, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
gdstupak wrote: View Post
Recording Vinyl...
Results= digital recording sounds much better than the original vinyl because VinylStudio takes out the ticks, pops, and hiss.
Do you find yourself relying entirely on the automatic "cleaning" process for all recordings? If some need manual cleaning, do you "ride" the controls in real time, or do you process the worst offenders individually?

Quote:
I don't do this because I think vinyl sounds better than digital/CD. I do this because my parents have a collection of vinyl not available as digital/CD. Personally I like digital and believe it to be a much more transparent recording/playback process. Sure, vinyl can sound better than a digital recording if the vinyl is mastered better than the digital. But if digital is done properly, there are fewer downsides than analog.
Same here, Glenn! Didn't mean to mislead with a blanket statement. I consider only a few of my analog recordings better than their digital versions (fairly mastered or not).

Quote:
I'm not sure what 'nasties' are present with a proper digital process. Yes, in the 1980's there were very bad digital converters that produced bad sounding digital/CD, but that is in the past. Now, digital sounds like crud simply because of bad recording/mastering choices.
That's exactly the era during which my bad recordings were issued. Wholly agree that both media can be good or bad depending on care exercised during transcription from live to stored.

post #9 of 21 Old 09-21-15, 10:43 AM
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

Lumen,

For cleaning, riding the controls in real time or searching for individual bad spots is too much work for me.
With each album, I do some testing with different auto settings to hear which works best, then let it all be done in auto. There have been times that after it has been done, I will readjust the settings and do it over again.

I try to do the least amount of cleaning needed to get decent results.
Some need very little cleaning, just a slight background hiss to cover up.
Some need the max cleaning setting and still have ticks & pops. I could keep running the cleaning application over and over but it'll degrade sound quality.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-23-15, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Thanks for the details of the digital side. They've helped me visualize how a session would progress using software capture. Aside from tick/pop/hiss cleaning, do you perform any other digital processing like normalization, compression/limiting, or EQ? My recording philosophy follows your own: minimal processing with some rework required according to limited auditioning. Some recordings would need more or less processing based on SQ.