What is 180 Gram Vinyl? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 20 Old 01-31-12, 09:36 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: What's your Top 10 "must have" Vinyl LP Records?

Booooyaaah!

How do you tell the weight?

I spotted Cowboy's From Hell that I'm going to try to get next week. Sure, this stuff is just re-released, but I like the album art; most of the newer stuff I'll buy will be displayed. The deal on the RCA fell through, so I'm going to start saving pennies to build a ~15W valve amp to go with a vintage speaker of some sorts..

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 02-01-12, 12:35 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Sometimes the weight will be marked somewhere on the cover or label, but you can tell by the thickness of the record. If it is flimsy then it is lightly 120 gram, while a stiffer record will be 180 or 200 gram, almost as stiff as a Frisbee. Some pressings are 150 gram. You might also check your catalog number against the discographies, which will usually indicate if it is a higher weight.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-02-12, 08:54 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

I looked around and can't find anything about its weight. I checked a random LP out of my collection from Atlantic and it was on the center label. ATO list nothing other than the name on their site. Is using a scale an accepted method? We have a digital kitchen scale that reads in grams.

This whole weight thing is new to me. I see why, just never knew. My experiences with vinyl started at the end of that format and has been rekindled since my mother dropped off our collection. She told me to sell them; too many memories for that. I asked my sister where my thriller lp was at and was told she bought it so she kept it.. Whatever. The only radio she owns is in her car so I imagine she thinks its worth something. Not going to argue with her over it since Im not really a MJ fan

Ben

post #14 of 20 Old 02-02-12, 11:49 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: What is 180 Gram Vinyl?

I moved our posts about the weight over to this "What is 180 Gram Vinyl?" thread.

You could weigh them, but you can definitely tell the difference just by picking them up and comparing them.
post #15 of 20 Old 02-02-12, 12:13 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Thanks Sonnie. I was going to suggest deleting the post, as it clutttered the thread; sorry about that. I'm still finding new stuff on this site everyday, so I'll be more dilligent about where I post.

When I get some time I'll compare a few LPs. I've been trying to preserve this copy, but I'll think I'll just buy another and keep it sealed When I did pull out the record in the picture above, it felt a bit flimsy compared to some of the other vinyl I have. So I'm betting its a 150.

Ben
post #16 of 20 Old 02-03-12, 12:57 AM
Shackster
luke

i have a few 180 gram and sacd of same recordings . i think that the Stones Out of Heads sounds better in the sacd version . I also have a copy of most of the Beatles and Stones in DTS and / or sacd and 180 G or Half Speed Master. Abbey Rd the original pressings and the Mobile Fidelity pressings are the best of anything i have every heard . Hands down , maybe MMT or the White LP . All the normal cd versions including the newest release of Abbey Rd have lost alot of the original quality . The Elton john sacd of Tumbleweed Connection is also right up there , as far as quality . I have a 180 pressing of Pet Sounds and that is good also . So as far as 180 the quality control is much better . The people that press those albums know , the people that put out the extra $ for them know their stuff . Like everyone within this group .
post #17 of 20 Old 02-03-12, 08:26 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

I haven't looked closely at my Beatles or Stones albums. They are probably the most played since my mother and her sisters bought them new. The sleeves are decent for 40 year old paper. I don't have a vinyl brush, so im not sure if they're still playable. My stylus is bent and +20 years old as well, so I can wait to find out. Never have been a huge Beatles fan.

When I got them a few years ago, my intentions were to digitize some of the folk music my mom loves and can't buy on CD. I dropped a Steppenwolf LP on the table and played about 5 minutes until the stylus was lifted off the record by a huge dust ball lol

Ben
post #18 of 20 Old 01-11-13, 05:04 AM
Steve

I came across this forum via google. Is there anything on the sleeve, or the label, or even the run off whih tells you what weight the vinyl is? I have a couple of Peter Gabriel Albums that are still in their shrink wrap and I don't want to open them to weigh them. They are PG IV (Known as 'Security' in The States) and III on Geffen records so I expect they will be the lower spec.

If an album is open, which is more usually the case, is it simply a matter of putting the vinyl on a set of scales?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mugsey; 01-11-13 at 05:22 AM.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-20-13, 12:03 AM

Trust me, you will instantly know 180g or 200g vinyl. You don't need to weigh it or anything. It's like feeling the difference between a regular Lp and 3 LP's stacked together. You won't be able to wobble it at all to make that "wubba wubba" sound.
post #20 of 20 Old 02-19-13, 05:24 PM
Shackster

My System

180 gram vinyl is no guarantee of a quality pressing, but anyone attempting a high-quality pressing will be doing it on heavier vinyl these days. I've definitely had bad 180 gram pressings - mostly the work of major labels, doing re-issues. And, unfortunately, returning them is often fruitless as the whole run is botched.
I try to get audiophile-grade records, whenever available, and prefer boutique labels like MoFi, 4 Men /w Beards, Simply Vinyl, Audio Fidelity, and others like them, who really make an effort at using the best original tape, mastering, and pressing techniques. The majors, as always, are out for a quick buck and, as we know, openly despise their own customers. So, caveat emptor!