Good Demo Music - Good Imaging Music - Your Favorite Demo Music - Well Recorded Music Albums - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 86 Old 02-05-14, 02:43 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Re: Good Demo Music - Good Imaging Music - Your Favorite Demo Music - Well Recorded Music Albums

Quote:
Since there's a lot of guys that listen Dire Straits does anyone have the Alchemy in vinyl ?
Yes, I do...I think.

Will check later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 Old 02-05-14, 03:15 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: Good Demo Music - Good Imaging Music - Your Favorite Demo Music - Well Recorded Music Albums

Quote:
AudioDawg wrote: View Post
Yes, I do...I think.

Will check later.
It's one of my favorite live albums and i listen to yesterday after having a blast listening Estas Tonne - BTW if anyone likes classic driven guitar you guys should give this guy a listen .

post #63 of 86 Old 02-05-14, 04:10 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System

Yep, I have it on vinyl. I will spin it up in your honor this evening.

post #64 of 86 Old 02-05-14, 04:27 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
AudioDawg wrote: View Post
Yep, I have it on vinyl. I will spin it up in your honor this evening.
post #65 of 86 Old 02-06-14, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Khmer by Nils Petter Molvaer (1999) - Original Recording Reissued

The soundstage on this album is incredibly wide from wall to wall. Another awesome recording.
post #66 of 86 Old 02-06-14, 06:35 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System

Some random music on my server last night reminded me how well recorded Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass' "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" was.

Most groovy.
post #67 of 86 Old 02-06-14, 11:32 AM
Shackster

Pat

Here are several I've used lately and/or over the years. In no particular order...

-Pink Floyd - Money
-Chris Isaak - Graduation Day (Forever Blue CD)
-Chris Isaak - Two Hearts (San Francisco Days CD)
-Bela Fleck & the Flecktones - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo (Flight of the Cosmic Hippo CD)
-Jennifer Warnes - Way Down Deep (The Hunter CD)
-Jennifer Warnes - Somewhere, Somebody (The Hunter CD)
-Jennifer Warnes - I Can't Hide (The Hunter CD)
-Jennifer Warnes - Bird on a Wire (Famous Blue Raincoat...CD)
-Jennifer Warnes - Joan of Arc (Famous Blue Raincoat...CD)
-Harry Connick, Jr. - She (She CD)
-Steven Curtis Chapman - In This Little Room (More to this Life CD)
-Steven Curtis Chapman - Way Beyond the Blue (More to this Life CD)
-David Phelps - Nessun Dorma [from Puccini's Turandot] (The Voice CD)
-Madonna - Cherish (The Collection CD)
-Linda Ronstadt - Heartbeats Accelerating (Winter Light CD)
-Linda Ronstadt - Anyone Who Had a Heart (Winter Light CD)
-Linda Ronstadt - Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder (Winter Light CD)
-Linda Ronstadt - Winter Light Accelerating (Winter Light CD)
-Tears for Fears - Advise for the Young at Heart (Tears Roll Down CD)
-David Sanborn - Savanna (Hearsay CD)
-David Sanborn - The Long Goodbye (Hearsay CD)
-The Nylons - Rock and Roll Lullaby (The Nylons CD)
-The Nylons - Up on the Roof (The Nylons CD)
-The Nylons - The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Perfect Fit CD)

Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.
post #68 of 86 Old 02-06-14, 12:51 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

I've been listening a bit to the Wynton Marsalis and Eric Clapton Play the Blues, Live From Jazz at Lincoln and it is pretty good. Nice imaging in way of instrument placement, good vocals, brass and of course guitar.
The only issue is on occasion the horns do take over the space, as they do live, and may get a bit course.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #69 of 86 Old 02-06-14, 10:33 PM
Senior Shackster

One of the things that makes a great recording are great monitors and a great engineer. The monitors must be painfully revealing, in order not to mask any 'issues' with the recording. ATC's are those kind of monitors, and the personal speakers of Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits. The ATC US distributer is here in Vegas and at our December club meeting he talked about some of the better engineers out there:

Quote:
I mentioned great engineers such as
Al Schmitt http://www.allmusic.com/artist/al-schmitt-mn0000933071 Buy anything he does.

Another is Ed Cherney http://www.allmusic.com/artist/ed-cherney-mn0000172911 Amazing work he does (unless the artist thinks they know better). He bought ATC's in 2010, so his work has improved since then.

In movies another ATC user Dennis Sands: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0762304/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Steven Kempster http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0447502/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Both do nice work.
Clearly, it is ATC speaker centric, but the ATC distributer's main business is supplying recording studios with equipment (microphones, etc., etc.), so he does spend quite a bit of time in studios.

Surprisingly, here were a couple of very recent recordings that he said are very well engineered/recorded:

London Grammar "Hey Now" -- these three anguished over every detail on their record. It's very clean.

Lorde "Royals" -- yeah, I know, but it is very well done.

If you want to play some nice bass, the London Grammar song above will I found where I needed to add a ton of damplifier pro to the rear deck of my wife's car, and I only have two Hybrid Audio Technology Legatia 8" speakers back there. Nothing really 'thumping'. "Hey Now" gives my Velodynes a good workout.

From the most recent recommendations above, I found it odd that I hadn't heard of Yello before. I played trumpet all through college. Hmmm, maybe I just don't "remember" hearing his stuff before.

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro
Merrill Thor Monoblocks
Marantz MM7055 amp
Oppo BDP-95 blu ray player
ATC SCM-19 v2 L&R speakers
B&W LCR6 center speaker
B&W LCR6 height speakers
B&W CDS6 surround speakers
Velodyne SPL-1000 Subs (2)
Sony XBR65x850a 4K
post #70 of 86 Old 02-07-14, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
admranger wrote: View Post
Surprisingly, here were a couple of very recent recordings that he said are very well engineered/recorded:

London Grammar "Hey Now" -- these three anguished over every detail on their record. It's very clean.
This guy claims he has a six figure system, although that does not necessarily mean he knows what he is talking about, but it would be hard for me to spend 20 bucks on a new groups first album with this kind of review of it out there. It seems to kind of go along with what you are saying about the bass. Do you think it really sounds that good?

Quote:
HORRIBLE MIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stellar vocals although most verbage is indistinguishable. BOTTOM END IS OVERPOWERING AND BOOMING and almost difficult to listen to a pleasant volume. The bass combined with a horrible 60's drum barrage combines for a muddy piece of music.
A reassessment of the production values, the elimination of electronica combined with a remix ie: addition of a CELLO AND STRINGS would completely change the dynamic of this otherwise melodic collection.
I can only imagine this session was mixed on VERY inexpensive pair of speakers, that did not have any bass response. I can almost feel my baffles absorbing the boom. (might the band book some time @Abbey Road ) and mix on B&W's.
Orchestration, remix, the elimination of the drums, with very few bass riffs would change this CD from a 2 play resale to a lifelong treasure mandating weekly play. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!