Good Demo Music - Good Imaging Music - Your Favorite Demo Music - Well Recorded Music Albums - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 86 Old 09-08-13, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Good Demo Music - Good Imaging Music - Your Favorite Demo Music - Well Recorded Music Albums

What some songs that you really like for demoing... particularly with good imaging and soundstage? Not only songs that just plain sound good, but some that might challenge the speakers... good deep male voice tracks, good female voice tracks, good jazz tracks, good big bass tracks, tracks with a good drum mix... anything well-recorded and/or unique... all recommendations are welcomed.

AudiocRaver turned me on to Nickel Creek's Ode To A Butterfly during the speaker evaluation and it has superb imaging... with a very deep soundstage. The mandolin is clearly left of center stage, the fiddle is middle of the stage, with the guitar right of center, all on the front edge of the stage... then there is the deep bass being behind and between the fiddle and guitar. All instruments have their distinct placement... provided you have the right speakers.

Another one I like for demo is the Roger Water's Three Wishes... with the female voice at the beginning being over to the other side of the left speaker at about 10 o'clock... depending on the room I suppose, but in my room it seems like she is speaking out of the left wall, which is right at 10 feet from the main listening position. When the genie kicks in... the voice moves a little but is primarily up on the right side very high and somewhat behind the listener. Then at 2:47 there is that guitar riff that I really like.

Those are my favorite... but I also like Flim & The BB's Funhouse and Melody Gardot's Over The Rainbow, specifically the beginning of both, with various sounds suspended in the air up above and in front of you.

Tell us about some of your favorites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old 09-09-13, 07:36 PM
HTS Reviewer

Re: Good Demo Music - Good Imaging Music

Nice list Sonnie. I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, though not too familiar with Roger Waters' solo work. I have been enjoying Three Wishes now since you mentioned it during the speaker shootout. Another good one for imaging/soundstage is One of My Turns by Pink Floyd. The girl's voice at the beginning seems to move about the house, while a TV plays. For soundstage I like Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap. At times it seems to surround you to the sides and even behind you on a good setup. It's almost creepy on a 2 channel system.

This is a good topic. I'll have to sift through my favorites for speaker demo/audition and list some more. Anxious to hear what others will contribute.
post #3 of 86 Old 09-10-13, 07:51 AM
Senior Shackster

Donnie

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to hyghwayman

Sonnie..

I thoroughly enjoyed reading (over three days) the results of the 1k speaker evaluation thread and then I stumble across this thread

Time from Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon album is one of my go to songs for demoing speakers.
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Pink_Floyd_song wrote:
Each clock at the beginning of the song was recorded separately in an antiques store. This is followed by a two-minute passage dominated by Nick Mason's drum solo, with rototoms and backgrounded by a tick-tock sound created by Roger Waters picking two muted strings on his bass.
I totally forgot about this one, so much music gong on in a single song.
Talking Heads - Take Me to the River

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

F.S. SB13-Ultra

Last edited by hyghwayman; 09-10-13 at 09:19 AM.

post #4 of 86 Old 09-10-13, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Thanks Peter and Don.

I had forgotten about Time, which I know is a very interesting song. I need to break out my DSOTM SACD and listen to it. I may use it instead of Dogs of War for the next event.

I don't know that I have heard the Imogen Heap or Talking Heads songs. I will check those out too.
post #5 of 86 Old 09-10-13, 01:11 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

I wish I could remember the name of the track that I heard at one of the festivals that had a female duo vocal sequence. You could discern their individual locations while they were recording. Going to have to go back through my notes to see if I can track it down - pun intended!

post #6 of 86 Old 09-10-13, 01:38 PM
Senior Shackster

Donnie

My System

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Thanks Peter and Don.

I had forgotten about Time, which I know is a very interesting song. I need to break out my DSOTM SACD and listen to it. I may use it instead of Dogs of War for the next event.

I don't know that I have heard the Imogen Heap or Talking Heads songs. I will check those out too.
It's my pleasure Sonnie, thank you for starting this thread as I'm always looking for new music to experience.

F.S. SB13-Ultra

post #7 of 86 Old 09-17-13, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I purchased The Best of Talking Heads from Amazon for 10 bucks... Remastered. I forgot how many good songs they had in the early years. One of my favorites has always been Burning Down the House. When someone mentions Talking Heads, that is the song I think of most. Of course Take Me To The River is a great song too.
post #8 of 86 Old 09-19-13, 03:07 AM
Senior Shackster

Donnie

My System

Nice Sonnie
I used Burning Down the House in my Fallen Unity Community Halo3 Fall 2009 Highlight Film back in 2009
Start time of the song in the vid is 6:48 and the link will drop you right in or watch the entire video here, Pink Floyd's - Dogs of War was also used in the vid . I've always let the music tell the story of the game play

youtube/I60KqSDYzDw?t=6m48s

F.S. SB13-Ultra

post #9 of 86 Old 09-19-13, 03:20 PM
HTS Reviewer

Tried to think of some others and kept coming back to Pink Floyd. After a quick web search, it seems a lot of other people agree. Aside from that I would think any well recorded orchestra (or maybe a choir?) would be about the best way to test stereo imaging and soundstage.
post #10 of 86 Old 09-19-13, 04:27 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Shine on you crazy diamond parts 1-5 is great! Actually all of wish you were here album is great! Welcome to the machine has some great sound effects.