turntable vs CD - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 109 Old 04-14-13, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System
turntable vs CD

...so how does a turntable compare to a sound from a CD... As i have never heard a record before....

ya, that's right I have never heard vinyl. what are the differences ? it seems like some people are raving about vinyl and I see a lot of new albums released on vinyl... why ? is it nostalgic or does it sound better in some regard? i know sound is subjective ... im just looking for a basic high level thoughts.

...maybe id like to get a turntable and find out....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 Old 04-14-13, 08:30 AM
Inactive

My System
Re: turntable vs CD

Vinyl was fun while I was growing up. And then CDs came along, superior in both sound and convenience. I haven't had an interest in vinyl ever since.

And I don't miss having to clean my records, flip them over every 20 minutes or so, adjust the tonearm, align / replace the cartridge, clean / replace the needle, et cetera.

IMO, and YM(and that of many vinyl-philes)MV.

-- Edit --
The only way you'll really know is to get yourself a turntable and try it out.
post #3 of 109 Old 04-14-13, 08:32 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Vinyl generally sounds warmer but can sound dramatically different from one turntable to another depending on the quality of the vinyl and the turntable its self. A big problem with vinyl is dust that gets into the grooves and causes distortion or that snap crackle and pop during playback. Also if the tracking and weight of the tone arm and needle is not set right it can cause issues.
Some purest's will say its the better format however CD is capable of much better dynamic range (not all recordings are the same) the stereo imaging will usually be far better and dust is not as much a problem as there is no physical contact of the media.
Thats the short of it, Im sure someone will give other thoughts on this.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Last edited by tonyvdb; 04-14-13 at 08:38 AM.

post #4 of 109 Old 04-14-13, 09:01 AM
Banned!
Isuzu

Simply put. Music is an analogue system operating in an analogue environment (air). Turntables are analogue hence the "distance" between a records creation and its performance is shorter. If you look into the favourite vinyl albums out there you'll see that many of them are older recordings often produced with the minimalist of studio effects. Many of the vinyl produced today is either because the musical group has an acoustic feel or for the convenience of those DJ's that still like to get hands on with there mixing and scratching. I have a turntable that I listen to on occasion. Is it better? Its just different. Tube amps are the same way. They are essentially analogue systems. The distortion of a tube amp is along even harmonics. That is why guitarists like tube amps. Even when you crank them to eleven and they are distorting like crazy - they rock out and sound cool. It is important to not lump CD's into one category. Digital recordings can rival or even surpass the sound of vinyl with the proper recording techniques and playback methods. The issue is that most CDs and even blue-rays don't contain enough digital information for pure reproduction and there are even fewer commercial devices out there that can play such intense a digital format. Unless your ready to drop 15 000$ on a cd player or turntable for the opportunity to play a limited selection of music. You, like most of us, are in the middle somewhere. Where the cost benefit analyses meets our ears.

Last edited by AudiocRaver; 04-14-13 at 01:08 PM.
post #5 of 109 Old 04-14-13, 09:38 AM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

It all depends on the equipment, the record itself & the mastering. With average equipment, you could hear the "friction" between the needle & the record. Referred to as "hiss." We went to great lengths to get rid of the hiss. Better cartriges, constant cleaning, better arms, etc. And then the record itself will get old and degrade, or worse get scratched (never manually lower the tone arm!).

But when done well, vinyl sounds very good. The best I have heard was a Grover Washington Live concert that was a master recording...dead quiet, superb mastering, it just sounded awesome.

With our new technology, is all the trouble worth it? Not for me, but hey, it's a hobby that many enjoy.
post #6 of 109 Old 04-14-13, 10:06 AM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

Quote:
eljay wrote: View Post
Vinyl was fun while I was growing up. And then CDs came along, superior in both sound and convenience. I haven't had an interest in vinyl ever since.
And I don't miss having to clean my records, flip them over every 20 minutes or so, adjust the tonearm, align / replace the cartridge, clean / replace the needle, et cetera.
IMO, and YM(and that of many vinyl-philes)MV.
-- Edit --
The only way you'll really know is to get yourself a turntable and try it out.

For the people that want to enjoy their music on a turntable, go for it.
Back in the day I (along with my friends) spent 100's (or more) of hours listening to 'real' albums and it was absolutely great. I am very glad I had that experience and there are many great memories I cherish.
Now, I am in the same place as eljay.

Long before CDs came out the fun factor of albums and the gear was gone and it had become a hassle, FM radio had replaced my turntable.

While the sound quality issue continues to be debated it is a subjective debate, while it may be possible to achieve higher quality sound from a turntable and album (on a one off basis) the money you have to spend on a turntable just to have that potential is incredible.
Then you have to have media that is pristine along with superior mastering and pressing.
If you take a CD of the same material with equal mastering and throw it into a $30 CD player (connected to the same system the turntable is connected to) my money is on the CD player to sound better.

As was said above... The only way you'll really know is to get yourself a turntable and try it out....
It's all good fun and entertainment and each individual gets to decide for themselves what they like best.
post #7 of 109 Old 04-14-13, 12:29 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Just dont think those USB turntables available today are going to get you that wonderful warm sound that even a $200 turntable got you back in the day.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #8 of 109 Old 04-14-13, 01:13 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

I agree with most of what has been said.
  • I favor CDs for convenience and dynamic range.
  • Vinyl can be a fun alternative. The noise and distortion inherent to the medium gives a different sound, sometimes covering up flaws in the performance or recording, sometimes just sounding good that way.
  • Vinyl is a "hands on" medium, handling, cleaning, storage... you get more physically involved with the medium, like a hardcover book vs. a digital book. Again, to many it is fun.
post #9 of 109 Old 04-14-13, 01:19 PM
Banned!
Isuzu

All the above.
post #10 of 109 Old 04-14-13, 06:44 PM
Shackster

Before I moved over to CD's I never had to worry about blowing a tweeter. I much prefer vinyl but have to admit to the convenience of CD's.

My turntable is a Rega Planar 3 (original) and I forget which arm it came with. I have over 300 records including a good selection of original master recordings and it all sounds good. Even my 17yo son says it sounds better then anything he's heard.

My money would be on vinyl.
Cheers,