The Confessional - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

5Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 07-15-15, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
The Confessional

I thought it would be fun to start a thread where we all divulge our deepest held Audio Visual secrets...music, movie, or equipment oriented. Anything goes. Let's hear it!

I'll kick it off:

1) I took my kids to see Taylor Swift last night and loved the concert! That's saying something for my musical tastes.

2) Last year I removed the cable box from my Home Theater Room. Total video snob move. It's 100% Blu-ray or no way. (although I do have a 50ft HDMI cable running from an adjacent room just for emergencies.
Savjac likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-15-15, 01:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System
Re: The Confessional

You thought right , Todd! Honesty. What a concept! It's what this site is founded on. I'll throw a couple in for good measure:
  1. I heard a song on my car radio and liked it so much I made a quick detour to the closest music store. (Karma was its name-o!). But when I played the song at home on my then modest 2ch rig, it sounded horrible. The CD wound up in the stacks and found its way back into rotation to see if it had morphed into something better than it was. No dice. Then it struck me: if I enjoyed it in the car so much the first time, why not return there ? Maybe the magic would, too. Loved it! Moral: sometimes the little guys win!
  2. After cleaning behind the equipment stand and reseating connectors--the plug/unplug action gently scrapes away oxidation and/or grunge--no sound came from the right channel. Spent over an hour tracking the problem to a digital out connected to an analog in. They were physically located to look like a vertically-oriented L/R pair when in reality, they were really side-by-side. No damage resulted, except to my ego, which was promptly repaired when my wife reminded me that I did manage to find the problem! Bwess hurh widdle hawt!

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-15-15, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post
[*]After cleaning behind the equipment stand and reseating connectors--the plug/unplug action gently scrapes away oxidation and/or grunge--no sound came from the right channel. Spent over an hour tracking the problem[/LIST]
The tracking part....

ugh. We've all been there! It's like losing your keys, but worse!

post #4 of 22 Old 06-07-16, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

This is a thread that I tried to start a few years ago... thought it would be fun to revive it.

Come on folks... I know you have some dark AV secrets to share.

I'll drop one:

I still have a 720 Plasma running in my living room!
post #5 of 22 Old 06-07-16, 01:36 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
I was forced to buy the regular Blu-ray version of 13 Hours. I now feel like I'm buying VHS quality when I buy regular Blu-rays. I feel like a snob.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-07-16, 01:47 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Hmmm, let me think.

Well, My wife thinks Im crazy but I love playing the old 8bit games from my old Apple IIGS and Amiga. Ive got those machines set up in a room in the basement and play regularly Chpoplifter, Hard Hat Mack, Cannonball blitz, Scortched tanks, Santa Paravia and Fiumaccio, Beyond castle wolfinstine and the list goes on.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #7 of 22 Old 06-07-16, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Hmmm, let me think.

Well, My wife thinks Im crazy but I love playing the old 8bit games from my old Apple IIGS and Amiga. Ive got those machines set up in a room in the basement and play regularly Chpoplifter, Hard Hat Mack, Cannonball blitz, Scortched tanks, Santa Paravia and Fiumaccio, Beyond castle wolfinstine and the list goes on.
Castle Wolfenstine on the the Atari 800 was/is one of my all time favorites! I often wish I could play it... probably has been 30 year or so since I have.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-07-16, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
I was forced to buy the regular Blu-ray version of 13 Hours. I now feel like I'm buying VHS quality when I buy regular Blu-rays. I feel like a snob.
LOL. Where do we send the tissues?
post #9 of 22 Old 06-07-16, 01:58 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Hmmm, let me think. Well, My wife thinks Im crazy but I love playing the old 8bit games from my old Apple IIGS and Amiga. Ive got those machines set up in a room in the basement and play regularly Chpoplifter, Hard Hat Mack, Cannonball blitz, Scortched tanks, Santa Paravia and Fiumaccio, Beyond castle wolfinstine and the list goes on.
Awe man. I use to love Choplifter!
Todd Anderson likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-07-16, 02:00 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
LOL. Where do we send the tissues?
My pain is eased by the Atmos soundtrack.
Todd Anderson likes this.