Profanity and the HTS "tight" posting rules... - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #11 of 68 Old 11-26-15, 07:37 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System
Re: Profanity and the HTS "tight" posting rules...

Well I am a Christian and way back when I joined, it was Sonnies' philosophy/Christianity & how it impacted the site that prompted me to join (this is the only forum that I frequent regularly). They have lead to the fine group of people that I have come to consider friends, even though I have never actually met the majority of you. I have met Sonnie personally, he is a laid back kinda guy & he doesn't push is religion on you. But he is not going to let you behave counter to those beliefs when you are in his domain (pardon the pun ). I was truly saddened to see Sonnie move on, I wish him only the best in his new endeavors. In the spirit (ok, maybe the puns are a bit much ) of all of this, my vote is to keep the rules as they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 68 Old 11-26-15, 09:08 PM
Shackster

matt

My System
Thumbs up Re: Profanity and the HTS "tight" posting rules...

Hear, hear ... well stated, OP.
post #13 of 68 Old 11-27-15, 03:49 AM
Senior Shackster

I'm sad to hear the recent news. The shack was a great spot with nice folks.

My activity stopped here when one of my posts was edited for hilariously mild language. That level of censorship is not permittable for me. The word that was censored hinted at way too religious rules.

Not interested in having a discussion where language ok in a "G" Disney movie isnt permitted.

post #14 of 68 Old 11-27-15, 07:41 AM
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider

Leonard, thanks for the great post/thread. I have always appreciated all of HTS rules and have never had any difficulty in expressing my opinions regardless of how opposed they have been in discussions. I enjoy the courtesy rules and in fact, using proper language has helps make the point without any rudeness or unacceptable words.

I post a lot of technical information in an easy to understand way and have never felt or been "censored" in any of my posts.

HTS is a better place because of the posting rules and I don't think the reduced traffic is caused by any of the rules. AVS Forum has enjoyed the benefits of a beautiful site redesign and updated SEO advancements.

HTS, AVS Forum and other a/v advanced user websites are all very helpful in educating the public on our beloved passion and hobby.

I'll PM Leonard to express some of my thoughts on the traffic and sponsorship reductions.

-Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, Authorized Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Krell, OPPO, Sonance, Definitive Technology, Artison, Leon Speaker Systems & more

Personal equipment:
Video: 2 theaters, Sony's VPL-VW5000ES, 2nd theater, JVC RS66
Family room LG 65" G6 OLED, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom 65" B6 OLEED, Living room Panasonic 65" VX300
Audio receivers: Pioneer Elite, SC-09; Denon, AVR-7200WA, Marantz SR7011
Pre-pro: Marantz AV8802A w/7&5 ch amps
post #15 of 68 Old 11-27-15, 09:12 AM
Banned!
Chad

My System

Quote:
Serenity Now wrote: View Post
I'm sad to hear the recent news. The shack was a great spot with nice folks.

My activity stopped here when one of my posts was edited for hilariously mild language. That level of censorship is not permittable for me. The word that was censored hinted at way too religious rules.

Not interested in having a discussion where language ok in a "G" Disney movie isnt permitted.

Yeah its over bearing mod editing for sure. There pretty much can be no opinion expressed unless its absolutely positive.

Heres one example that I was told was way to inflammatory and the mod said they will edit it accordingly.

I suggested on alot of different boards that brand b should upgrade to higher quality woofers and was called everything you could think of by the brand b guys and they really believed that there was no need for "better" drivers. Thats until brand b released this new 6.5" woofer and they go bat**** crazy over them and beg to upgrade all there speakers with them.

Also I believe you can't circumvent the language filters. Not sure how someone would be offended by *****

I feel if you want to read nothing but positive comments about everything with little to no negative comments then stay here but I feel AVS and some others give you much more insight on products. Its not perfect and there are a few that get pretty hateful but usually its the ones who get offended that they are not reading 100% positive comments about their equipment.
post #16 of 68 Old 11-27-15, 09:21 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Chad, you are a perfect example of someone who does not belong here as you clearly dont want to follow the simple rules. You can feel free to post that stuff over at AVS but not here.

And as you can see I just left a negative post, it can be done here without using any bad language and still get the point across.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #17 of 68 Old 11-27-15, 09:21 AM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System

Thank you, Leonard, for your very well stated justification for the rules. As someone from the other side of the table, as it were, I find nothing in a word to take offense. However, that doesn't mean that I think I should be permitted to use language which the operators of this forum do find offensive. This is not the public square, so absolute freedom of speech is not to be expected.

To date, I think I have experienced one censure, which simply prompted me to choose a slightly different word. Why should that bother me? I see it as a challenge, not a restriction. After all, the gist of my statement did not change, only the manner of its expression. If I can't respect the rules of this forum, I am free to leave, and you are free to usher me away.

We don't all share the same sensibilities, and I have no desire to tread on those of the purveyors of this forum. Rules are rules, and the rules governing the language used in this forum are clear enough. They don't even need to be justified, but thank you for taking the time to do that very thing.
post #18 of 68 Old 11-27-15, 12:58 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Robert Zohn wrote: View Post
Leonard, thanks for the great post/thread. I have always appreciated all of HTS rules and have never had any difficulty in expressing my opinions regardless of how opposed they have been in discussions. I enjoy the courtesy rules and in fact, using proper language has helps make the point without any rudeness or unacceptable words.

I post a lot of technical information in an easy to understand way and have never felt or been "censored" in any of my posts.

HTS is a better place because of the posting rules and I don't think the reduced traffic is caused by any of the rules. AVS Forum has enjoyed the benefits of a beautiful site redesign and updated SEO advancements.

HTS, AVS Forum and other a/v advanced user websites are all very helpful in educating the public on our beloved passion and hobby.

I'll PM Leonard to express some of my thoughts on the traffic and sponsorship reductions.

-Robert
A++
post #19 of 68 Old 11-27-15, 01:09 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

I was attracted to this site because of the rules here. I started my forum journeys as many others did just looking for info about HT and in the beginning the forums I joined did help but fairly quickly I was made to feel like less than because I would be told that my questions were asked too many times before and then would be ridiculed for it. I found HTS and immediately felt at home because even though the question may have been asked many times before people here would answer me and /or direct me to a thread that would. There are some great forums on the net but IMO none are of the caliber of HTS because of the rules that we have here. I would not be apposed to some minor changes if the people that run the forum think they will encourage more traffic to the site but remember quality not quantity is why I believe most of us are here. Thanks Leonard, Keep up the good work.

Onkyo TX-NR809 HT receiver
HPS-4000,SR-70, John Allen, Klipsch Heresy, Speakers for L.C.R.
QSC GX-5 power amp for L+R mains
Chase Home Theater PRO-10's for surrounds
Behringer EP 4000 pro amp for the Danley DTS-10 tapped horn sub
Oppo BDP-93 universal BD player
Toshiba HD XA2 HD dvd player
Sony VW-VPLPRO1 1080p PJ
Cinema White 1.0 gain 106" fixed frame screen
Dish network with 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey
post #20 of 68 Old 11-27-15, 01:21 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Speaking of "other side of the table," this just in...
Less than a year's worth of moderating has taught me many things. One of the more important aspects I still struggle with is how to moderate without alienating fellow members. I feel all our moderators and admins allow ample leeway for free discussion, and provide sufficient warning before clamping down. Drawing the line can be blurry sometimes, and we all make mistakes. But please be aware the mods have their own area for consultation. I've seldom made lone decisions during my "training" and even notice seasoned mods pop up now and again for consensus.

The simple fact is that some people just like to argue or otherwise inject emotional trauma into a discussion. Others like to confuse a discussion by taking it off on many different tangents in a single post. Both tactics are nonconstructive, but are tolerated up to the point where they violate the rules. I try to keep as neutral a tone as possible when engaging in such discussions, but have come to find that practice insufficient to deter the other party from attempting to elicit a negative emotional response. I've hardly ever deleted entire posts, but was recently forced when the other party strongly attacked a certain group of hobbyists. Even then, the posts remained intact until I was sure of the correct course of action. With each action taken, I gain confidence in both recognizing and correcting poor behavior. I make no excuses and offer no apologies for any of the above.

I would wager my fondness of HTS is as strong as most other members' and definitely want to see it flourish. Yet it cannot do so without rules. Those that take issue with them do not belong. Those that wish to troll/flame/etc will be caught and "invited" to do so elsewhere. We want to maintain a safe and positive atmosphere - no apologies, no excuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.