Profanity and the HTS "tight" posting rules... - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #41 of 68 Old 11-29-15, 03:01 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System
Re: Profanity and the HTS "tight" posting rules...

It would appear that the rules have been in place for many years and the growth of HTS was quite positive even going back to my first day here. Questions were asked and answered, topics were introduced and usually discussed if they had any import. After a time, many members got to know preferences of other members and those that followed these discussions almost know what to expect.

I and I suspect most of us are not here for prizes, although they have always been good, and more often than not, I did not even participate. I cannot believe that the slow down is related to a lack of prizes.

Could it be possible that many of us are not able to obtain new gear as in the past and as such there is less to discuss ? Have the members become so steadfast in their beliefs that there is little room for discussions ?
Doubtless the listening panels put out some great thoughts and advises and to me seemed quite popular. Can more of these happen or are the suppliers less that happy about submitting cool stuff ??

I am really flummoxed.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 68 Old 11-29-15, 06:36 PM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
Could it be possible that many of us are not able to obtain new gear as in the past and as such there is less to discuss ? Have the members become so steadfast in their beliefs that there is little room for discussions ?
I recently replaced quite a bit of my gear. It's a long story, but life 'got interesting' in the wake of a death in the family. Anyway, the situation that drove the equipment changes also kept my attention elsewhere besides here, although I have contributed a few posts in the 'What's playing right now' thread. I should update my theater room thread. I did update my equipment list couple of days ago.

I can only speak for myself, but I can assure you that my lack of activity had nothing to do with language restrictions or a lack of prize offerings. As I intimated previously in this thread, if I can't communicate my thoughts without peppering my posts with words that are considered offensive here, the problem lies with me, not this forum's rules.
post #43 of 68 Old 12-01-15, 11:09 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

I really have a hard time believing that the supposedly tight rules have a significant effect on membership and participation. Sure, the occasional person will drop out because of it, but I can't see that being a big reason. I for one appreciate the tone around here (as opposed to the bickering and arguing and fighting that happens on other forums, which can engender disrespect and hostile feelings and is a waste of the time of those who read). I don't get horribly offended by the occasional bit of strong language, but I would certainly prefer that it stay out of the discussion as it contributes nothing and I don't really care to see or read it. My vote would be to keep things as they are in these regards.

post #44 of 68 Old 12-02-15, 09:00 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
I really have a hard time believing that the supposedly tight rules have a significant effect on membership and participation. Sure, the occasional person will drop out because of it, but I can't see that being a big reason. I for one appreciate the tone around here (as opposed to the bickering and arguing and fighting that happens on other forums, which can engender disrespect and hostile feelings and is a waste of the time of those who read). I don't get horribly offended by the occasional bit of strong language, but I would certainly prefer that it stay out of the discussion as it contributes nothing and I don't really care to see or read it. My vote would be to keep things as they are in these regards.
BIS !
post #45 of 68 Old 12-03-15, 03:01 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

I work in an industry where expletives are used more-or-less as punctuation. On top of that, I work on a show where "adult themes" are literally our business. My daily environment is quite outside of what one would consider "normal". It is nearly impossible to go a day at work without making a joke that would alter the rating of a feature film. And none of that bothers me... in fact, I fit right in.

That said, I read and re-read the rules here before I signed up. I signed up anyway. I see no issue whatsoever with tailoring my own language to fit the goals outlined in the forum rules, as those rules work to foster an environment where the free exchange of information is encouraged and the tone of the exchange is respectful. We have a forum that is essentially troll-free. That's a bit of a rarity these days. As far as I'm concerned, we have what we have here because the rules are strict and the enforcement of those rules is predictable and consistent. And if we're being honest with ourselves, most infractions are failures of self-control.

I read this thread not because it was on the front page, but because I was checking out my "subscribed threads" page and a few clicks later discovered that a user in one of those threads had been banned. I scoured this thread looking for the cause, and I found it. That user had practically begged for action on the part of the moderators, given the text of the rules. I don't know them personally, and can't comment on their character... but the incident clearly supports my point of "failure of self-control". The rules are clear, as are the markings on the Exit.

Please change nothing.
post #46 of 68 Old 12-03-15, 09:27 AM
Shackster

Interesting responses all,

HTS has been my A/V site of choice for a couple years and I appreciate the restrictions on profanity. I'm a Christian but that has less to do with it than a respect for common courtesy. Frankly, in my years of lurking here I've not seen many attempts at circumventing the profanity restrictions.

As I said above, I'm a lurker. While I recognize that many, many guys enjoy chatting amiably about things like what they're watching or listening to right now, I'm not interested. Why do I come here? To get good information from knowledgable guys. Hey! I'm listening to my ML Motion 12s right now because of that great $1,000 Speaker Shootout. Those guys steered me to what will be my last set of speakers. So I put up with the little nag screen when I arrive, asking me to post something, even though I have nothing substantive to say. A small price to pay for tons of good information.

As for a decline in posters? I don't have the stats, nor do I care to have them, but it appears that a significant reduction in posts has occurred since the change in ownership of the site. Whether that has a bearing on the drop in postings is merely conjecture. Many, if not all, of the guys who contribute the most meaningful information are still here with one exception. Sonny's presence, the driving force of the site in the past, seems, to me anyway, to be lacking now. He installed a sense of "family," whether intentional or not, and I appreciated that. Me? I just don't feel it now. But likely, this too shall pass.

And now, as Forrest Gump would say, "That's all I'm going to say about that."

old arkiedan
post #47 of 68 Old 12-04-15, 11:33 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

Oh man, where the have I been?!!!

I don't recall any of the threads that didn't seem professional or some coming off rude, but I totally respect the rules here @ the Shack. Oh and I promise no potty mouth from this adult; member.

James 3:6-8 & Psalm 19:14
post #48 of 68 Old 12-05-15, 12:16 AM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Thanks arkiedan and Picture Shooter, I think most of us long time members, Lurkers or not, appreciate the tone of the forum and the fellowship of like minded audio enthusiasts of all backgrounds.

I hope the "Shack" will remain a place for like minded people to come and share ideas for many years to come.
I know personally that the people here have helped me through some troubling times in the last few years, as well as offering great audio advice, that has improved my outlook on life along with my listening pleasure.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #49 of 68 Old 12-05-15, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

I think it is very clear that virtually everyone here is of a similar perspective on the matter and there will be no changes to the rules, nor our enforcement of them on my watch.

I appreciate everyone's input and support for what makes HTS unique and special. I will continue to do what I have done in the past, assure that we steer discussions in a positive and on-topic direction and clean up the messes that a handful of users might make. We have an awesome group of moderators who are always looking for ways to make the forum better and maintain the sense of community we have developed.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #50 of 68 Old 12-05-15, 10:34 AM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

I just read the last half dozen posts and can only agree with what has been said. There are plenty of places where people can use whatever language they choose freely and express any kind of sentiment. Part of what makes HTS special to me and part of the reason I was attracted here in the first place is the extreme, and I mean EXTREME level of required respect and friendliness that is enforced. It almost sounds funny to say enforced friendliness, but that is kind of what it ends up being. The language rules just seem to go hand in hand with that, making it all an environment that is really easy for the novice or less experienced poster to be comfortable asking any kind of question in. I would be disappointed if the rules changed, as I believe that level of respect and friendliness and comfortability could only be degraded as a result. Thanks to all for your positive support of the policies. And for helping keep HTS the special place that it is.