Profanity and the HTS "tight" posting rules... - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #51 of 68 Old 12-05-15, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Profanity and the HTS "tight" posting rules...

I think that the rules evolved from the kind of people that founded and built the forum over the years. Sonnie and John value people and their faith. Most here are the same way. I can't claim the faith part but people are definitely most important to me. That sense of community and developing relationships is better served by the rules we have than allowing a few small minds to use whatever emotional sputter they come up with.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 68 Old 12-10-15, 08:58 AM
Senior Shackster

prerich

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Recently, there have been several discussions about why the traffic at Home Theater Shack has dropped significantly. Some have suggested it is because we are so restrictive about language and about bashing manufacturers and other posters.

So I think it is time to refresh on who we are, why we have the rules we do, and why Home Theater Shack does not allow certain use of language. Also, we need to be very clear about what censorship is and about "rights."

We have very strict restrictions on profanity and knowing for two reasons. The founder of the forum, to whom we all owe so much, Sonnie Parker, is a devout Christian. Any form of knowing, profanity, or using the Lord's name in vain or even remotely getting close to such is not OK in his view. Now that Sonnie is no longer owner, there are still many here who share this view. Personally, I am not so rigid on the matter, but it has served to promote a higher level of discourse, which is the much more important second reason for these rules, IMNSHO. I have no problem loosening up the rules a bit, but the fact is that knowing and profanity is shorthand for expressing feelings and opinions. Making a little extra effort to express oneself only make the discussion better, and I believe, makes us better people, as language is one of the things that makes us most human. Any improvement in how we communicate is of value in my opinion.

Now is this censorship? In the most strict interpretation, perhaps. Our position has always been that we are not really censoring anyone, because there are millions of other places where one can post whatever is desired, dozens with similar topics. What we "censor" is some limited manner of HOW people say things that might not make others feel safe, valued, or welcome. We do not allow posting that is condescending or vitriolic, nor do we allow bashing of manufacturers or individuals. What we do not censor, and highly encourage, are the IDEAS that one has or the OPINIONS and EXPERIENCE that our users bring. As long as those are expressed in ways that do not harm or attack others they are welcome. And understand that being civil does not mean agreeing, nor does it mean that some will not be offended at the ideas of others. Again, as long as those differences are focused on the ideas, experiences, or or opinions and not the individual, a vigorous debate is welcome.

We will never allow ideas to be restricted from discussion simply because they are unpopular among the users or moderators. This is one of the primary differences between HTS and other forums. Our moderators respect the right of our users to bring differing perspectives than their own. One will never be belittled or censored for having a different experience or opinion from staff, unless that difference has to do with the rules and expectations as described above.

Have those expectations for a higher level of respect and discourse limited the number of users and posts here? Probably. Has it been the primary reason for the decline in activity here? I do not believe so, but if it is, then I say so be it. We do not intend to substantially change those expectations, though as I said above, I don't have a problem relaxing the restrictions on certain words a bit. Just a bit.

If you get it, you are welcome here. If you don't then please accept our thanks for coming by.

I, personally, am thankful for a home theater forum that has higher ideals about how people can communicate. More of the internet should be like this, IMO.

Leonard Caillouet
Home Theater Shack Administrator
I love the no profanity rules!!!! As a mod myself (at another site), this rule makes things very simple and very civil!!! I think the drop off has to do with people getting settled in to their equipment. There has been a drop off at the site that I'm a moderator of. People have fewer things to talk about. It's just natural. Now if there's ever a new format war or something like that - people will light up the boards....other than that...with no axe to grind, people don't post. I try to check in once a day and see if there's anyone I can help (mainly in the computer section). That's generally when I post or if there's a new review of a speaker or something of that sort. I believe it's just the ebb an flow of the industry.
post #53 of 68 Old 12-10-15, 09:22 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
prerich wrote: View Post
I love the no profanity rules!!!! As a mod myself (at another site), this rule makes things very simple and very civil!!! I think the drop off has to do with people getting settled in to their equipment. There has been a drop off at the site that I'm a moderator of. People have fewer things to talk about. It's just natural. (...) I believe it's just the ebb an flow of the industry.
Exactly my case. I am in a middle of transition at home right now and little to say or to ASK (!) during this time. I realised (with my wife's help !!) that I canot afford a very good home cinema downstairs and a very good stereo system in the living room for my beloved music. I chose to keep the best of the stereo (the speakers) , to sacrifice the stereo amp and the cd player to get a better or the best BD player (with analog stereo out) and a better 7 channel amp which come with a not automatic parametric EQ. (Rotel RSX 1562)
Will I have questions in the future and commentaries ? you bet I will !! Later on...

post #54 of 68 Old 12-10-15, 08:56 PM
Senior Shackster

I can appreciate the rules as they are, including the enforcement thereof. I'll admit, I joined the Shack to get in on REW, and after reading the rules I thought, oh boy...

I certainly do not have a problem with religion, but admittedly these rules made me a bit nervous - I wanted in, and I knew that I was really going to have to watch how I relayed my ideas as I was (am) prone to just tossing words out there as they come to me, and sometimes my filters are a little rough.

On this forum, I've learned to be more mindful and that can never be a bad thing! I'll go so far as to say the rules on this forum have taught me more civility. I'll take it! Not to mention I now have a very nice sounding system thanks to all of the folks here - you know who you are - thank you all, and I'm staying for the long haul; still so much to learn, and so much to contribute.

Haven't posted much lately because we have a little one in the house now (our first!) so my concerns have shifted to protecting what you folks helped me to build, however; the basement HT is still in the dream phase so when that begins to take shape, you can bet you'll be seeing a LOT more of me!

P.S. I don't worry too much about prizes, that's not why I'm here.

Living Room: Sony XBR55X850B | Denon X2000 | L/R - Chane A1's | Gaming - Xbox One and 360

Basement: Denon 4520CI | Oppo 103D | L/R - Chane A5rx-c | Subwoofer - PSA S3000i

HT Build in initial design phase - expect lots of questions!
post #55 of 68 Old 12-10-15, 09:51 PM
Shackster
Russ

My System

Nice post!
post #56 of 68 Old 12-11-15, 06:39 AM
Shackster

"On this forum, I've learned to be more mindful and that can never be a bad thing!"

Well said, Philm63,

Civility costs nothing, and buys everything.
post #57 of 68 Old 12-15-15, 10:17 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Respect for others is what makes this place different. It seems as though just opening up the discussion has tempted some to want to push the limits of the rules. Don't test further.
Of the many valuable bits posted in the thread this paragraph is perhaps the best of them. You wanted to be banned, we obliged. Gotta love it...

Quote:
DqMcClain wrote: View Post
We have a forum that is essentially troll-free. That's a bit of a rarity these days. As far as I'm concerned, we have what we have here because the rules are strict and the enforcement of those rules is predictable and consistent. And if we're being honest with ourselves, most infractions are failures of self-control.
This one is a close second. Troll-free, I'm going to use that one myself.

FWIW... my 02 is the language rules could be pared back some, but in no way is that related to the decline in activity. I've been a mod for a few years now, so to a large extent I know what goes on behind the scenes, and the rules are not what's causing that problem here at HTS.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #58 of 68 Old 12-15-15, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

We are very proud to be Troll free!

I do miss watching Mike and Steve weild the Ban Hammer, though. I can do it with no regrets but they did it with more style.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #59 of 68 Old 12-15-15, 08:15 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
We are very proud to be Troll free! I do miss watching Mike and Steve weild the Ban Hammer, though. I can do it with no regrets but they did it with more style.
Ban Hammer…buahahaha
post #60 of 68 Old 12-15-15, 08:18 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

LOL! I picture Thor swinging a big rubber stamp across the offender's avatar, with appropriate sound effects served up by monstrous subs in the background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.