Profanity and the HTS "tight" posting rules... - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #61 of 68 Old 12-15-15, 09:09 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post
LOL! I picture Thor swinging a big rubber stamp across the offender's avatar, with appropriate sound effects served up by monstrous subs in the background. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THIS! Nailed…errr hammered it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 12-18-15, 05:09 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: Profanity and the HTS "tight" posting rules...

OK this is a tad far right?... I'm trying to make a post in another thread and it keeps removing the words. This is what I want to say:
Quote:
My uncles uses this stuff and now sw.-ears by it.
ovbiously remove the . and the - and you get what I'm trying to say:

Here is the definition: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/know

but I bet that link won't work since it'll auto correct that word. The meaning in the context I'm using it in is "Informal: to have great confidence in; rely on:"

This is where it gets out of hand guys.... EDIT: yup it changed the word to "know" great

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #63 of 68 Old 12-18-15, 06:04 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Easy enough to use another word other than "My Uncle"
Lumen likes this.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"

post #64 of 68 Old 12-18-15, 08:40 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
Easy enough to use another word other than "My Uncle"
^^^+1!
post #65 of 68 Old 12-18-15, 08:42 PM
Senior Shackster

Greg

My System

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
Thank You Leonard, very well written.
In reality it is not hard to go around cussing and being predatory in our remarks. Disagreements are common and expected but this is not the place to be evil about it, remember these discussions are truly not life and death. Imagine if you will, having these discussions in public in the hallway of a local library or in someones living room after a nice listening session. I have learned the hard way, be reasonable folks and the site will hopefully not need the hall monitors to interfere.
Very well said Jack.
I think your sentiments have been hinted at by several others as well and the truth is exactly that: its easy to speak without giving too much thought to word choice and impact etc. Like when I am with a few old friends I know well enough to understand there are no language rules. But for me the bottom line here is there are expectations and a trust of civility at HTS and for many good reasons.

That says to me HTS adim, mods and many members believe there is a reasonable expectation HTS is a safe site for a 10 year old to be reading HTS posts over Dad's shoulder without Dad fearing what might be written on the page. If that sounds a little extreme, well consider this (as I read somewhere in this thread) the posts you write are being invited into people's homes, living-rooms etc and I don't always know who is home - I feel it would be reasonable for any host to hope/expect I'm going to act thoughtfully and speak respectfully not simply because I'm not sure who is home but because as a guest I feel a simply responsibility and that I am trusted I will act/speak appropriately/thoughtfully.

I'll only add: when I first started writing I had a word change and a note to watch my language for using the abbreviated word for Gee-wiz. Today I wish I hadn't wasted my time thinking 90% of the thoughts I had at that time as a reaction. But the truth is all I needed to say in response was, "yup". I'm learning and the truth is I'm picking up some great info here as well.

Know your audience... one cannot kick muddy feet up onto the coffee table whenever the impulse strikes.

Peace thru Compassion

We believe everything we tell ourselves..., don't we??
post #66 of 68 Old 12-19-15, 09:47 AM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System

Although I have no problem with the rules of this forum, my opinion is that words are innocuous. I find it hard to be offended by a word, any word, simply because it has been declared bad, foul or taboo for whatever reason. The ugliest thoughts can be expressed with the 'cleanest' words, and the most beautiful thoughts can be conveyed along with some 'unacceptable' language.

I inadvertently communicated a rather ugly thought with perfectly clean language. My first attempt at an edit was merely one by appendage, which hardly qualifies. My second attempt increased the precision of my language, which completely stripped away the potential inference of my speaking about anyone except myself. I'm sorry for the initially clumsy phrasing that implied more than I intended.

It was all perfectly accidental, but it did prove my point. Call it a Freudian slip, if you wish. The most important thing is that we speak with respect towards one another.

On the topic of taboo words, I'm actually quite glad that such do exist. It's a curious fact of neuroscience that uttering taboo words when we injure ourselves either increases our threshold for pain or reduces our experience of the pain we've just inflicted upon ourselves - the more taboo the word and the sharper it is said, the better.

Last edited by kevin360; 12-21-15 at 09:19 AM.
post #67 of 68 Old 01-19-16, 03:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Talley wrote: View Post
OK this is a tad far right?... I'm trying to make a post in another thread and it keeps removing the words. This is what I want to say:

but I bet that link won't work since it'll auto correct that word. The meaning in the context I'm using it in is "Informal: to have great confidence in; rely on:"

This is where it gets out of hand guys.... EDIT: yup it changed the word to "know" great
Its 2016.

Disney movies have stronger language.

Ridiculous. There is no sense of context in the editing....

My sig has been removed as it is unacceptable for use in this forum.

I'm just making a point.
post #68 of 68 Old 01-20-16, 05:22 AM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Quote:
Talley wrote: View Post
Quote:
My uncles uses this stuff and now sw.-ears by it.

Hmmm.. maybe you could have said
Quote:
My uncles uses this stuff and now believes it to be the best thing ever!!!!
I feel this portrays what your "uncles" intended and doesn't need to use any blocked words. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.