Mans Best Friend: pics - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

18Likes

post #31 of 38 Old 02-04-17, 09:03 AM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System
Re: Mans Best Friend: pics

Last July, we found this little guy in the woods in front of our garage - thirsty, hungry and covered in hundreds of fleas. As nobody in our community had reported a missing pup to the guard shack, we figure he was simply dumped. It sickens me that anyone could do such a thing, but he found a home. Seven months and seventy pounds later, he seems to be done growing, but I don't think he'll ever stop 'growing on us'.
Attached Thumbnails
Mans Best Friend: pics-20160626_193716-2-.jpg  

Mans Best Friend: pics-20170128_132241-2-.jpg  

tonyvdb, Todd Anderson and Lumen like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 02-04-17, 04:56 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Well done Kevin.. It's beyond my understanding also how anyone could just abandon a dog to survive on it's own..Haven't they heard of rescue centres!!

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #33 of 38 Old 02-06-17, 07:57 AM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Well done Kevin.. It's beyond my understanding also how anyone could just abandon a dog to survive on it's own..Haven't they heard of rescue centres!!
A few days after we found him, a neighbor told me that she saw two puppies. We looked and looked, but never found the other one. Hopefully, the other one met the same fate as the one we found. It also explains why my new best friend kept looking in the woods for a few weeks - probably looking for his litter mate. Obviously, he isn't a pure breed, but who cares? I'm guessing that he's a lab/pit mix - 85 lbs of sweetness.

It seems unconscionable to me, but people abandon animals quite often in my neck of the woods. I still have an aging terrier, who was a pound rescue - on the day she was scheduled for death. She's nearing 15, and the last year, or so, has been rough. She's gone through idiopathic vestibular syndrome twice and all of the musculature on the right side of her head is gone. On top of that, she's been blind for about 3 years. She's not very active anymore, but she still loves being pet or brushed...and eating - had to put her on a chicken and rice diet (she isn't complaining about that).

post #34 of 38 Old 02-06-17, 03:58 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
kevin360 wrote: View Post
A few days after we found him, a neighbor told me that she saw two puppies. We looked and looked, but never found the other one. Hopefully, the other one met the same fate as the one we found. It also explains why my new best friend kept looking in the woods for a few weeks - probably looking for his litter mate. Obviously, he isn't a pure breed, but who cares? I'm guessing that he's a lab/pit mix - 85 lbs of sweetness.
From my experience crossed aggressive dog breeds make the nicest pets..
I've had several Staffy crossed breeds board with me over the years and they all had lovely natures..

Quote:
It seems unconscionable to me, but people abandon animals quite often in my neck of the woods. I still have an aging terrier, who was a pound rescue - on the day she was scheduled for death. She's nearing 15, and the last year, or so, has been rough. She's gone through idiopathic vestibular syndrome twice and all of the musculature on the right side of her head is gone. On top of that, she's been blind for about 3 years. She's not very active anymore, but she still loves being pet or brushed...and eating - had to put her on a chicken and rice diet (she isn't complaining about that).
I currently have a 15 year old Lab. that still boards with me..He's going in the hind quarters but still plods along and he's the happiest dog of all my current boarders!
Having a dog that loses it's sensors like sight would be difficult to live with, but unfortunately they don't have perfect health right up until the time they die..
I've lost so many dogs from old age that have boarded with me and it's sad to see them deteriorate..
I wish I could have perfect health up until the time I die, but it doesn't work that way if you die of old age!

Prof..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #35 of 38 Old 02-07-17, 08:02 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
kevin360 wrote: View Post
A few days after we found him, a neighbor told me that she saw two puppies. We looked and looked, but never found the other one. Hopefully, the other one met the same fate as the one we found. It also explains why my new best friend kept looking in the woods for a few weeks - probably looking for his litter mate....
...It seems unconscionable to me, but people abandon animals quite often in my neck of the woods.
Some people must think dogs can fend for themselves and hunt because they're carnivores. That's far from the truth though, because excepting hunting dogs, domesticated pets make poor hunters. Yet, dogs are regularly abandoned in a country fields and woods. How heartbreaking to watch them first just stay and wait for their family to return, then to find their way back each day to check for them. These abandoned dogs must experience high anxiety and deep sorrow from having been severed from their families. Those lucky enough to be taken in as strays can adjust well enough, but some are plucked from the frying pan and thrust into the fire if they get caught and taken to the pound (almost all are kill-shelters). If you've ever been to one then you know how heartbreaking they can be - the din, the longing eyes, the lingering promise of death. I could go on, but don't want to taint this happy place. Before I go, I'd like to say that thinking too much about the millions of pets euthanized each year can weigh heavily on your soul. The best you can do is to try and make your own little corner a better place by adopting from shelters instead of buying from breeders and pet stores. You can also help through fostering homeless pets and/or volunteering at one of your local specialty, no-kill shelters.

Quote:
From my experience crossed aggressive dog breeds make the nicest pets..
I've had several Staffy crossed breeds board with me over the years and they all had lovely natures..
Yup, American Staffordshire Terriers (aka one type of Pit Bull) are devoted, friendly, and loyal. Their temperament is no worse than most other dog breeds, and their behavior is largely a product of their upbringing. I've heard that pit bulls are dog-aggressive by nature, but owners can make them either better through proper socialization, or worse through improper training. It also helps to seek out breeders who selectively breed-out aggressiveness.

Quote:
I currently have a 15 year old Lab. that still boards with me..He's going in the hind quarters but still plods along and he's the happiest dog of all my current boarders!
Having a dog that loses it's sensors like sight would be difficult to live with, but unfortunately they don't have perfect health right up until the time they die..
I've lost so many dogs from old age that have boarded with me and it's sad to see them deteriorate..
I wish I could have perfect health up until the time I die, but it doesn't work that way if you die of old age!
I think everyone here wishes to avoid heroic efforts to keep their beloved companions alive. Quality-of-life is important, and I don't think there's one of us who would prolong a pet's life for personal gain. Sometimes it's hard to tell, because our pets can't talk, but I think we generally know how to watch for signs they're suffering. Here's to hoping yours stays the happiest for a long time to come!

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am

post #36 of 38 Old 02-07-17, 04:18 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post
The best you can do is to try and make your own little corner a better place by adopting from shelters instead of buying from breeders and pet stores. You can also help through fostering homeless pets and/or volunteering at one of your local specialty, no-kill shelters.
As far as I'm concerned the only place to get a pet dog or cat is from a rescue centre..They are properly cared for and are all immunized..
The dogs are just so happy to have a new owner..

Quote:
I think everyone here wishes to avoid heroic efforts to keep their beloved companions alive. Quality-of-life is important, and I don't think there's one of us who would prolong a pet's life for personal gain. Sometimes it's hard to tell, because our pets can't talk, but I think we generally know how to watch for signs they're suffering. Here's to hoping yours stays the happiest for a long time to come!
Sadly, some owners try to prolong or ignore their dog's failing years and the dog suffers quietly and generally in pain because of their owners possessiveness..

Prof..

post #37 of 38 Old 02-24-17, 05:38 AM
Shackster

I don't own a dog but I'm a certified pet lover. I agree that it's hard to have one because they gets old fast and if we could not give the best for them and to their puppies when time comes.
post #38 of 38 Old 06-13-18, 04:17 AM
Shackster

Such adorable dogs. I'll be posting a picture of our little Dustin in the upcoming days.