• 1 Post By tonyvdb
  • 2 Post By Lumen
  • 1 Post By tonyvdb

post #1 of 8 Old 03-22-17, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
A tribute to Prince

Last night I went with my wife to the Edmonton Winspear theater to see the debut of a Tribute to Prince with the Edmonton symphony orchestra.
I am not a huge fan of his music but do appreciate his influence in the industry and his roots in R&B.
I was blown away by the concert!

Mackenzie Green who did vocals was absolutely perfect! and Andrew Gouché who was Prince's last bassists to play with him on tours and in the studio before his passing was also there.

I made a couple of short video recordings on my iphone so once I get them uploaded I will share them here but it was a fantastic night to say the least. Having a full orchestra backing up music like this is amazing.

more info here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...pear-1.4033474

tripplej likes this.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-22-17, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: A tribute to Prince

Here is the video:

tripplej likes this.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #3 of 8 Old 03-23-17, 08:15 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

A little off-topic, but...
It certainly is amazing to find collaborations between symphony orchestra's and rock/pop bands. Hopefully it'll catch on. As I understand it, our nation's orchestras are endangered, so performances like this are refreshing in more ways than one. A similar collaboration between Collective Soul and The Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra happened on April 23 and 24, 2005

Track 16 from Home: A Live Concert Recording With The Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra released in February 2006.
tonyvdb and Jennistar like this.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-23-17, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I do hope that our next generations will continue to experience this sort of enjoyment. There truly is nothing better than a live orchestra in a venue like this.
tripplej likes this.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #5 of 8 Old 05-10-17, 04:01 PM

I adore such kind of music. Thanks for sharing the video, I will update my playlist.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-12-17, 12:51 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

QUOTE:
This latest incarnation was called Alan Parsons, eventually renaming as the Alan Parsons Live Project, the name distinct from "The Alan Parsons Project", due to founder Parsons' break-up with Woolfson. The band currently features lead singer P.J. Olsson, guitarist Alastair Greene, drummer Danny Thompson, keyboardist Manny Focarazzo, keyboardist Tom Brooks, bass guitarist Guy Erez, vocalist and saxophonist Todd Cooper, and guitarist and vocalist Dan Tracey. In 2013, Alan Parsons Live Project played Colombia with a full choir and orchestra (the Medellin Philharmonic) as Alan Parsons Symphonic Project. A 2-CD live set and a DVD version of this concert were released in May 2016.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am

post #7 of 8 Old 05-12-17, 01:49 PM
Senior Shackster

XEagleDriver

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
I do hope that our next generations will continue to experience this sort of enjoyment. There truly is nothing better than a live orchestra in a venue like this.
Agree with the above sentiment, that is why I really like seeing children of any age at our SC Philharmonic concerts and am willing to cut them and their parents a lot of slack in regards to any expected concert "social norms".
- My parents taking my brother and I to concerts, musicals, plays, opera, and art museums as kids formed the basis of our attendance as adults.

A long-term investment is when symphonies and philharmonics go into the schools to play and expose the students to music genres they may not have heard before (except in classic Looney Tunes cartoons of course).
- School performances also support/encourage school band participation (assuming the music program has not been cut in a misguided effort to "focus" on the RRRs or STEM).

Across the country, symphonies and philharmonics are facing a tough dilemma. To build a significant following in the next generation they probably need to expand their product into more multi-media presentations, pop-classical ventures (like the Prince concert), etc. However, these are the type changes many of the 50+ year old classical series season ticket holders and financial supporters do not generally like.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver
post #8 of 8 Old 04-11-19, 05:54 PM

Hi,
That was for sure a great show, thanks for sharing!