Is rock music dead? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 07-19-18, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Eric LeClair

Angry Is rock music dead?

So my kid comes to me and says he wants to dabble into music production. Of course I was hoping he would focus more on his normal schooling like improving in math, etc but since he's only going to do it part-time I agreed.

He shows me the brochure and there is not a SINGLE course on rock music.

They got EDM (Wasn't this called dance music anyways?), Hip Hop and even something called trap music.

However, not a single course on rock music.

Is rock music officially dead? They are not even teaching it in music schools now.

Last edited by Eric LeClair; 07-22-18 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-19-18, 09:17 PM
Shackster

Re: Is rock music dead?

Sadly, it just may be. There haven't been any new bands in a long while to effectively pick up the proverbial torch. The last big rock movement was what we like to call Grunge, even though "Grunge" was more of a lifestyle than a musical form. The music we call Gunge is just a Seattle vibe that was added to many different forms of rock-n-roll. I'm getting off track though. When you look at the rock acts that are popular today, the majority are older bands that have become more nostalgia acts than anything else. Nearly all of them are well past their prime and many are no longer relevant or viable as a "working" band.

Rock is a musical form that needs to stay fresh. It needs to speak to each passing generation. It hasn't really done so since the 90's. It simply hasn't evolved for today's audience. At the same time, I blame a lot of it on the previous generation of rock fans. When Grunge came in, it spoke directly to it's generation as well as to older fans from the 60's, 70's & early 80's. Grunge returned rock to it's blues-based heyday when the music meant something. The problem was the overall 80's crowd refused to move beyond the spandex, makeup, Aqua-Net, show-off playing and general juvenile vibe of the music. They blamed Grunge for killing rock when the reality was that Grunge was rock's life-support. It was the soulless rock of the 80's that (while popular) rendered rock a throwaway musical form. With that generation refusing to embrace Grunge, rock had an uphill battle. In the meantime, other forms of music along with their audiences evolved and grew. Just look at country. Even as a style of music that I (for the most part) could never stand, I have to admit that it's kept with the times without alienating too many fans. Sure, a fan from the 50's or 60's may not care for today's country, but people of that generation don't exactly guide musical trends. Today's pop/country fusion may not be what older fans consider true country but it's kept the genre not only relevant but at the forefront.

In all that, I'm not saying that I know where rock needs to go or what it needs to do because I don't. I wish I did. I just know that my 52 year old self has been a rock fan since I was a kid. I grew up on artists like Jimi Hendrix, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Bay City Rollers, The Ramones and even The Osmonds. Still, I openly embraced new movements. Bands like The Pretenders, Adam & the Ants, The Police, Talking Heads and Men at Work. I continued with 80's bands such as Twisted Sister, Motley Crue and Guns-N-Roses. Then when Grunge and more alternate styles came in, I embraced them as well. Bands like Garbage, The White Stripes and Pearl Jam have became some of my favorite bands of all-time. That era was new while at the same time, a return. For me it was great movement. Unfortunately extremely little has caught my ear since. I love Sixx: A.M. but the reality is that band is just an extension of Motley Crue with deeper/more prophetic lyrical content.

Not to keep placing blame but I look at shows like America's Got Talent & American Idol as a big part of the problem. That type of instant recognition and success does not make for long term viability. These acts don't pay their dues nor do they gain the needed road experience required. It's fine for musical styles like pop, who's stars usually amount to 6-month phenoms then quickly fade away. Rock fans are more invested in their idols and the music they make. Today's climate just doesn't support long-term devotion. May be one reason why the recent country/pop fusion is working so well? Who knows, if rock were to assimilate into today's model, it just may be the final nail that truly seals the coffin? What saves it short term just may kill it long term. Rock is in a bad spot. Dead? Maybe not just yet, but definitely circling the drain.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-21-18, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Eric LeClair

Quote:
Even as a style of music , that I (for the most part) could never stand, I have to admit that it's kept with the times without alienating too many fans.
Definitely agree. Love how you said grunge was Rock music's life support. In fact, I think that small period of time (Grunge) perhaps maybe the apex of rock music in general.

I was just listening to some Alice in Chains

I feel music's popularity is determined by the youth (High school students) and they just prefer urban music now. I wonder what their kids are going to listen to. Our grand kids - Yikes!

Last edited by Eric LeClair; 07-22-18 at 08:28 PM.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-22-18, 12:33 AM
Shackster

Quote:
Eric LeClair wrote: View Post
Definitely agree. Love how you said grunge was Rock music's life support. In fact, I think that small period of time (Grunge) perhaps maybe the apex of rock music in general.

I was just listening to some Alice in Chains

I feel music's popularity is determined by the youth (High school students) and they just prefer urban music now. I wonder what their kids are going to listen to. Our grand kids - Yikes!
Alice in Chains is a great band. Dirt was a defining album for the period.

Yes, music's popularity is defined by the youth... To an extent. High school students don't listen to Celine Dion yet she's huge star. The thing is the artists that the youth listen to are the ones that end up getting more backing from the industry. If there's a hot act that the "kids" are all listening to or talking about, that's the act that's gonna get promoted. I'm not saying it's right, wrong or if it's even the correct approach. It just is what it is.

But going back to what I was saying before, I think rock in particular's problem (one problem anyway) is the division of the audience that happened in the early 90's. Sure, there had always been different styles of rock that appealed to different audiences. During the 80's there were those who listened to artists like Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Poison and other hard rock/metal bands. Then there was what was looked at as the college crowd who supported bands like Talking Heads, Men at Work and more "alternative" acts (I was one of the few who listened to everything). Times were different then and there was room for all of it even if the different camps didn't agree. Grunge had the misfortune of coming in not only at a time when the previous generation was winding down, but it came in as the only "sound" of the day. What was the mainstream rock audience of the era (the hairband crowd) did not accept the new rock. Grunge had it's young audience and a good part of the older crowd who missed the 60's & 70's vibe, but what had been the largest section of rock's demographic just stayed stuck in the 80's. Nothing against that crowd, but it (as a whole) is not very open to other styles. That's an observation, not a judgment. Anyway, outside of the new Seattle Sound, there was no other movement in rock for the other crowd(s) to embrace, so it was downhill from there.

Even today, the rock audience is still a bickering crowd. Like Star Wars fans, they'll never be happy with the new. If it's not like what they're used to, it's too different. If it's too much like the older stuff, it's copying. Take a band like Greta Van Fleet. They are the one band people are talking about, so love 'em or hate 'em, they are noticed. A lot of people love the old blues/folk based sound of the band. Others say they are nothing more than a Led Zeppelin rip-off/wannabe act. I'd prefer to not get caught up in that argument because every musician in history except for the very first caveman to bang on a rock has taken from what came before. If a band like Greta Van Fleet can turn even a few of today's kids or budding musicians on to the kind of music that Led Zeppelin put out... More power to them. Maybe it will be some of those kids that end up saving rock n' roll? If someone doesn't like them... leave them be. Don't actively trash them because truth be told, Zeppelin stole too. Trashing a new band for aspiring to bring back the music that (obviously) inspired them amounts to little more than trash talk and really does no good for the rock community as a whole.

I'm rambling now, so I'll stop.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-11-19, 05:48 PM
Shackster

Hi,
it's just that other music genre like pop dominated the music industry!

Last edited by Nina265; 04-13-19 at 01:54 PM.