why does controversy always intrigue us? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 12 Old 06-09-07, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

why does controversy always intrigue us?

I was aimlessly wandering through the WWW last night, I must have been suffering insomnia. I don't know wuite how I got to these two sites but I got there anyway. Now the first one is a whole website dedicated to the town of Tombstone and its "ghostly residents". Here is the photo that started it all.

http://clantongang.com/oldwest/ghosts0.html

the other site is a news report on a breakthrough that defies not only quantum physics as it is currently understood, but makes the same old claims about near limitless power extremely cheaply. Dr Mills and his Hydrino atoms.

http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/a...-or-snake-oil/

Now the thing that got me about both these sites is that 80% of the population would instantly dismiss both of them as being setup by crackpots, the insane, con-artists or just plain weirdo's. However I can't help but wonder how many people are genuinly interested in such events and howmany wish they were real or at least not quite so contraversial that one could feel free to talk about them in public or give them any credit.

Any thoughts on this seemingly hypocrytical state of the human persona?

For the record, until I see positive peer review regarding either one I remain rather skeptical, this not to say that I either understand quantum physics or don't believe in a spiritual world. I just reserve the right to be unsure at this stage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-09-07, 09:42 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: why does controversy always intrigue us?

I believe there will always be topics such as these that will create discussion of some form or another and intrigue us to an extent.

To comment on those two links:

I think the first one is bogus. I don't believe in ghost, period... and there has never been any absolute proof of any that I know of. A picture surely could not be considered absolute proof without any doubt, not with what can be done with pictures.

It seems like I've heard about the energy with H2O, although it may have simply been a rumor. I'm not sure how far anyone would get with it if it were viable. They would have to go up against the power of the big oil companies, and I don't see that being an easy thing to do. About the time they get some sort of real research going on it, the oil companies will slow it down or shut it down.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-09-07, 10:28 AM
Friend of the Shack

Otto

Yeah, since the dawn of time, people have been intrigued by things they don't understand. People are also seemingly endlessly wanting to be able to trick others for whatever reason -- money, their own amusement, whatever... Some people really believe what they say, and some know they are trying to run a con.

I don't believe in ghosts or any other supernatural phenomenon. Why would I? Personally, I need proof to believe in something. There are so many things out there that don't stand up to a reasonable test -- homeopathy, astrology, dowsing and all types of other stuff. But people love it! They lap up Sylvia Browne on Montel and they can't get enough of John Edward (hmmmmm, I'm getting an "M", yes I clearly see an "M", hmmmmm, anyone in the audience with a, oh, I don't know, a "Mother"??? Yes, yes, she misses you and she loves you! -- and then the audience member breaks down crying because the guy just told her what she wants to hear.). How about pet psychics? Hilarious! They can tell you that your dog doesn't like the food your feeding him, and that he likes going on walks in the park! But I would just have one question for the psychic -- tell me the dog's name. And that would be the end of it right there.

Anyway, there's all kinds of goofy stuff out there. Here's a guy that offers some commentary to all that type of thing that's out there.

And here's a link to a guy that I actually met and had dinner with. That was an exciting night of conversation -- totally the opposite of James Randi.

Anyway, just my $0.02

Have a good day!

-- Otto

post #4 of 12 Old 06-09-07, 11:13 AM
Senior Shackster
terry

Kinda understand what you mean Otto, but then again there is some weirdish stuff out there. I'm not talking about special stones etc that improve the response of your system!! ha ha.

Haven't looked at the links yet, like DRF I'm a bit awake tonite.

James Randi is an interesting one, but I've found you have to look at EACH persons preconceptions (we all have the un-examined conclusions) and I see JR bagging all the weird stuff, yet being uncritical when it comes to something (for example) like psychiatry, which has got to be a dis-credited ''''profession'''' if there ever was one.

Now, James Randi (and MANY others) would immediately discredit something like water dowsing. I must admit here my slight scepticism on that.

A couple of years ago we moved out here in the country, and it's a very old house indeed (well, at least by Australian standards!!) and still to this day our source of water is a well in our courtyard. It's a beauty!!, about 1.2 metres in dia, and dry brick lined (ie no mortar, obviously to allow water into the well) all the way to the water. It is over 25 metres deep, so it represents an awful lot of MANUAL labour in very hard and stony ground.

The well is smack bang dead centre of our courtyard, which is itself in the centre of the house layout, is wings symmetrical each side of the courtyard. All that means is that the house was built around the well, rather than build the house and (by luck) just happen to dig a well dead bang in the middle and miraculously find water.

So what with all this??? Well, the house was built in the 1830's, so how did they know to dig in that spot?? It's not a bore - drill, dry result so move and try again. And the bore drillers give NO guarantee they will find water, you pay regardless. So it is NOT a case of dig anywhere and you will hit water. We are almost at the top of a hill, there is a creek at the bottom. Yet they dug nearly at the top???

What sort of faith in a result would you need to have to keep digging (bricking from the top as you go down mind you) after you'd already gone ten, fifteen or twenty metres?? The farmers around here swear by dowsing, and claim results. Indeed, our local pump guy (all he does is go around the region fixing pumps, which especially now in the worst drought in 100 years is a vital service) also swears by dowsing and reckons he has seen many instances of it. I only bring him up because of his experience, and he also deals very often with the bore guys too.

So there you go, I'm not sure what conclusions we can draw from that. I do recall when last year I had to dig 50 holes to plant trees along our driveway I had to borrow my mates generator and jackhammer to get them dug because the ground was so hard from the drought. So I got a bit of personal reality of the magnitude of the effort involved in doing a lot of digging, and I kept asking myself how they were so sure the water was in THAT spot.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-09-07, 11:21 AM
Senior Shackster
terry

well, just looked at old boothill, I didn't pass I'm afraid.

Firstly I can't even see the old man, woman or kid with no legs coming out of the grave. Do I have to squint like those funny computer pictures??

He makes the point about the dude with the knife casting no shadow, well fair enough. But he didn't explain to me why there should be a shadow on the dude himself.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-09-07, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
drf
drf

cool, what about more realistic controversies like oil companies preventing advances in alternative fuels. Such a theory has only a negative impact, yet for some reason it is the kind of theory we as humans seem bursting at the sides to talk about. It's almost like it is "politically correct" gossip?
post #7 of 12 Old 06-09-07, 04:50 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

People like to accept explanations that fit their experience and give them some satisfaction or someone to blame for things that are out of their control. Even when they do not make sense or are contrary to the facts which may require some effort to ascertain. No different than some of the extremely weird religious and cult beliefs that we see.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-11-07, 08:23 PM

I think controversy intrigues us is that it makes us think - what if. I feel this is a great thing. I do believe in ghost, spirits and angels. But I think ghost are highly overrated and that first picture is a fake. Anything I saw on tv, internet or read it seems ghost have a difficult time to gather energy to be seen and that is why at night they are more active. To manifest in broad daylight would require a lot of energy and the chance of that is about as low as if they could post a reply in this forum. Hmmm... Sonnie could start a forum that only ghost, spirits, angels or other entities from the Other Side could only post on. Maybe it could be called "From the Other Side" or "The Far Side".

I have had experiences that could be called phychic or maybe communication with a Guardian Angel. One example is when I slid and fell off my dad's roof. When I started sliding off the roof and could only see the street below, my first thought was "I am going to die." I don't know how to explain it but a voice came on like a P.A. system inside me and was felt all through my chest and head. It said, "No, you are not going to die". All fear of dying disappeared at that moment. I will admit that I was still scared on how bad it was going to hurt when I landed. I believe a lot of people have experiences and don't realize it. I think of it as having a kind of filter on the brain that filters out a lot of the supernatural.

A point to note on dowsing anyone can try it. I have used it to find underground water lines. I have read if you get good at it that you can find various items. A friend can put items in the yard then you can dowse them to find them. I have tried to dowse for ghost on a ghost hunting tour but I wasn't any good at that.

One last comment is about the oil companies. It does make me sad that good inventions, that could benefit us, are forgotten in file cabinet or lost forever until being rediscovered. This happening is nothing new. I was watching a show about aluminum on the Discovery channel. There was a story about a man long ago made a cup out of lightweight silvery material and gave it as a gift to his ruler or king. Well, the ruler was so impressed that he killed the inventor so that no one else could have a cup like his. Needless to say it was a thousand years later when aluminum was rediscovered and no one can figure out how this guy did it in the past.

A wise Man once said, "Seek and you shall find".

Bryan
post #9 of 12 Old 06-12-07, 05:17 AM

Peoples blind ignorance intrigues me. Alan
post #10 of 12 Old 06-12-07, 08:42 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
Hmmm... Sonnie could start a forum that only ghost, spirits, angels or other entities from the Other Side could only post on. Maybe it could be called "From the Other Side" or "The Far Side".
How about the Dark Side Of The Moon?