Defensive Carry Handguns - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 128 Old 03-13-12, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Defensive Carry Handguns

Any of you guys carry a handgun with you for defense?

After a rather odd incident with my wife and I one evening I decided it was time to start carrying. I use to a while back and at some point did not renew my permit and stopped, but have since started back. We also recently had a local home invasion where a guy broke in on a married couple. Fortunately they survived and the perpetrator ended up dying from stab wounds where the wife stabbed him. The couple did sustain some pretty serious injuries though. I don't worry too much about a home invasion due to how you have to get to our home and where we live, but you never know. I do worry about other situations that have weighed on my mind for a number of years (almost 30) that I have been in the lending business and always around large sums of money in a small office with 1-4 employees... currently only one other person and myself. Many times we leave with money bags.

Alabama is an open carry state, but we have to have a permit once we conceal it, including entering into a vehicle. I am not much for open carrying since it seems to make law enforcement officials a bit more cautious... and it should, so I opt to keep mine concealed in my front pocket if I am actually carrying it, which is mostly to and from my vehicle.

I currently have a Sig P238 .380 that includes a factory laser. This is my defensive carry gun. I also have a Charter Arms .22 LR and a Ruger .357 Magnum. The 22 is mostly just a cheap fun gun for target shooting, while the 357 is the house gun. Don't go breaking in on me cause it will cease and desist you very quickly.

Right now I am about to change up my carry gun because I am not comfortable with the cocked and loaded status of the Sig while carrying. I don't like the open hammer and safety setup with a single action gun. I am looking at either a Ruger LCP or a S&W Bodyguard, both are .380 and double action. I am going to check them both out tomorrow. The gun shops around here only have the regular LCP, but I may pick up a Crimson Trace Laser for it. The BG includes a laser, but it is similar to the Sig laser where the button has to be pressed on the side instead of a grip activation like the Crimson Trace. I am somewhat favoring the Ruger because it is slightly lighter, smaller and easier to carry.

Here is comparison I yanked from another site:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 Old 03-13-12, 08:24 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Re: Defensive Carry Handguns

The Ruger seems very close in size to my Glock 40 but with no offence to Glock it is a cheap gun and my Glock 9 seems even cheaper, my gun of choice is my Smith & Wessen 500 (it will stop a Train)) unfortunately my wife won't let me keep them at the house but do have a 170lb Mastiff that should keep perpertraters at ease if needed as well as my little big Boxer/Sheperd mix.
My cousin runs some type of Pharmacutical company that requires the need to carry, i believe he has a Kimber of some sort.
post #3 of 128 Old 03-13-12, 09:36 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Any of you guys carry a handgun with you for defense?

I currently have a Sig P238 .380 that includes a factory laser. This is my defensive carry gun. I also have a Charter Arms .22 LR and a Ruger .357 Magnum. The 22 is mostly just a cheap fun gun for target shooting, while the 357 is the house gun. Don't go breaking in on me cause it will cease and desist you very quickly.
I carry!!!! On this forum I'm a THX Certified Video Calibrator but you don't want to ask for my wallet in the supermarket parking lot. Attitude developed as a 12 year Marine and gunsmith holder of a Federal Firearms Dealers License (yeah, I calibrate guns too) won't allow me to take any garbage from anyone. In my opinion, every American should be required by law to carry lethal force as it would cut the crime rate by 90% immediately.

Buzz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 128 Old 03-13-12, 09:40 PM
Shackster
Chad

My System
I carried my glock 40 eveyday and love the gun. Wife carries a p38 hammerless. She use to keep in her purse till I explained that the first thing some punk is gonna take from a female if a chance arrives is purse.
post #5 of 128 Old 03-13-12, 11:29 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I keep my guns close and go to the range for fun and keeping my aim up to par , the true definition of gun control is hitting your target besides the wife enjoys it also and I do like my Glock.
post #6 of 128 Old 03-14-12, 12:46 AM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

I wish there was a way to fit your weapons to the threat . . . but there's not.
After 30 years in law enforcement I always wondered how much (exposed and aimed weapon) would be enough of a deterrent to stop a perpetrator and change their mind. I still don't know.
They have developed new ammunition, non-lethal ammunition for both hand guns and shot guns.
I wonder if a muzzle flash, loud noise, and some small plastic pellets would be enough to deter an aggressor?
I wonder if a recording of a shot gun being loaded, played through your home theater system, would deter anybody?
How about the recording of a round of dbl 'O' buck being fired, played at 120dB through your home theater system.
Would THAT deter anybody?
post #7 of 128 Old 03-14-12, 01:05 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote: View Post
I wish there was a way to fit your weapons to the threat . . . but there's not.
After 30 years in law enforcement I always wondered how much (exposed and aimed weapon) would be enough of a deterrent to stop a perpetrator and change their mind. I still don't know.
They have developed new ammunition, non-lethal ammunition for both hand guns and shot guns.
I wonder if a muzzle flash, loud noise, and some small plastic pellets would be enough to deter an aggressor?
I wonder if a recording of a shot gun being loaded, played through your home theater system, would deter anybody?
How about the recording of a round of dbl 'O' buck being fired, played at 120dB through your home theater system.
Would THAT deter anybody?
Not sure about through the hi-fi but it deterred someone from breaking in my front door once I was on the other side and racked the pump they did tear up my boxwoods getting away from the porch. I hope I never have to shot someone I have made it over 50yrs and not would like to keep it that way but crime seems to be on the rise.
post #8 of 128 Old 03-14-12, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

The one most definite thing is that if you don't have a gun you sure won't ever have a chance to use it. Something is better than nothing for me. If the rack of my pump scares them that would be great, if it don't then the bullet that hits them should.

I ended up ordering the Kahr P380 with the Crimson Trace laser. I watched a guy take down the P380 and one of the Ruger LCPs and was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the Kahr. The owner at one of the gun shops I visited carries this handgun and says he has shot every 380 available with this being "by far" the most accurate. I tried the feel and trigger on both today, as well as several others, and the Kahr was no doubt superior for my preferences. Very smooth double action... and lightweight as well. It did cost about $200 more, but worth it for me.

post #9 of 128 Old 03-14-12, 06:43 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I still want a Smith & Wesson MP-15 they look to be the best bang for the buck pardon the pun.
post #10 of 128 Old 03-14-12, 08:56 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
The one most definite thing is that if you don't have a gun you sure won't ever have a chance to use it. Something is better than nothing for me. If the rack of my pump scares them that would be great, if it don't then the bullet that hits them should.

I ended up ordering the Kahr P380 with the Crimson Trace laser. I watched a guy take down the P380 and one of the Ruger LCPs and was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the Kahr. The owner at one of the gun shops I visited carries this handgun and says he has shot every 380 available with this being "by far" the most accurate. I tried the feel and trigger on both today, as well as several others, and the Kahr was no doubt superior for my preferences. Very smooth double action... and lightweight as well. It did cost about $200 more, but worth it for me.

Now that is a sweet little shooter! If i was still into gun buying i'd certainly look into that.

I have nothing against Glock as i have the 9mm and 40 cal. but for a few more bucks i feel i could have gotten better quality guns. The 40 cal. seems to be more worth the money. I'll tell you what though, the 500 smith & Wessen is certainly better then any Alarm system could be.