evolutionary science - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Closed Thread

post #1 of 59 Old 10-08-07, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

evolutionary science

This forum was a little quiet so I thought I'd pose a question:

Is the theory of evolution:

A) purely the best explanation for our observations?
or
B) the reason why?

Asking because I do believe there is a difference between our understanding what is happening and our reasoning as to why it is happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 10-08-07, 04:34 AM
Senior Shackster
terry

Re: evolutionary science

Are you talking 'guided evolution'?

Personally I'm an unapologetic 'ghost in the machine' guy. To my way of thinking evolution explains many things in a physical sense, but do baulk at some of the more extreme statements of it ( no such thing as free will etc etc).

An area with (to me ) similar characteristics would be genetics, a very useful explanation of physical traits, yet a theory 'pushed too far' when it comes to explaining actual human behaviour.

Hmm, a topic potentially ripe for, how shall I say it, heated discussion???

If it is an antidote for a quiet period, you may have given a solution ha ha. Having said that, HTS is a very well run and respectful forum so I look forward to seeing where this goes.
post #3 of 59 Old 10-08-07, 07:37 AM
Senior Shackster

Matt

I would say it is almost always if not exclusively true, that all laws and theories (and beliefs) are "purely the best explanation for our observations?"

In the grand scheme of things that's all that we can do. Explain what we observe.
If we are all fish trying to understand the ocean, as many very intelligent humans have concluded, then we assuredly can't speak with any certainty on "the reason why?"

Great question, and I apologize if my answer is invalid.

post #4 of 59 Old 10-08-07, 11:05 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal

deleted

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 10-09-07 at 10:04 PM.
post #5 of 59 Old 10-08-07, 09:58 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Evolution has been proven to an extent through small scale changes, however I think it is a poor "all encompassing" explanation for the changes in life on earth, which is exactly how most view it and recite it as fact. Balk at evolution and you get raised noses and rolled eyes, yet the serious lack of evidence for this theory astounds me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #6 of 59 Old 10-09-07, 03:04 AM
Elite Shackster
Chrisbee

Last edited by Chrisbee; 10-10-07 at 04:21 PM.
post #7 of 59 Old 10-09-07, 09:06 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Geneticist, scientist, it don't matter, not anyone has ever proven evolution of any kind. They think they have proof, but it's not really proof. They would like for it to be proof, but it's not. However, it's an interesting discussion and very interesting to see people try to prove or explain it. That part is more amazing and interesting than evolution itself.
post #8 of 59 Old 10-09-07, 05:58 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

It is equally interesting to see people deny evolution.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #9 of 59 Old 10-09-07, 06:15 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

There is proof for creation... there in no proof for evolution. There's really nothing to deny as far as evolution is concerned. How do you deny something that is already false. That is why I said it's interesting.
post #10 of 59 Old 10-09-07, 07:21 PM
Senior Shackster
terry

depends on what you mean by creation.

"we are here'' therefore some type of creation act has occurred. A definitional thing. So in that sense yes, there is proof for creation (we are here).

The non 'definitional thing' meaning of creation is of course a literal interpretation of the bible. Not much proof of that.

I have what I feel are limits on the applicability of evolution (and genetics as I said)but I find it hard for any person (as has been done here) to say there is NO PROOF of evolution!! I'm flabbergasted.

If you wish, debate the cause, debate the inferences we can or can't draw from it, but truly I think what is required that you go and look (any halfway decent library will provide the resources) at the body of knowledge underlying this ''''theory''''.

Is that what people pick up on?? It is officially a theory?? therefore just like any concept I can throw together in my own head the '''''theory''''' of evolution is as valid as my own fractured thinking?? Hmmm, I wonder.

"Has never proven evolution of any kind'' . First rule in arguing a point, never state something easily disproven. Evolution has been proven to a sufficient degree of scientific accuracy to now be a robust and expanding discipline.

Agree or disagree with scientists, love or loath them, admire or denigrate them, they are a group in which every theory and exposition is rigorously examined and tested and evolution , I'm sure, is most likely one of the most examined and questioned theories around.

That it is still here stronger than ever (and continually getting stronger) speaks volumes.

I'm afraid it is not quite sufficient to say 'the theory is wrong, they have no proof of any part of it, it is untried and untested'.

If you feel that way, and you feel you can make your case then go for it I say, there is MOST definitely a Nobel Prize and lasting fame in it for you!
Closed Thread