Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Chat Box SWAMP (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/chat-box-swamp/)
-   -   Bruce Willis Planning Legal Battle to Leave iTunes Library in His Will (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/chat-box-swamp/61425-bruce-willis-planning-legal-battle-leave-itunes-library-his-will.html)

tripplej 09-04-12 09:05 AM

Bruce Willis Planning Legal Battle to Leave iTunes Library in His Will

There is an interesting article in regards to iTunes and who it actually belongs to.

Even thou you "buy" the itunes song, in reality you are just renting it per Apple so Bruce is trying to change that.

It should be interesting how this turns out.

AtomicAgeZombie 09-04-12 11:20 AM

Re: Bruce Willis Planning Legal Battle to Leave iTunes Library in His Will

I hope he wins. We are slowly, but surely, moving into an all digital media world and DRM is just a hassle.

tripplej 09-04-12 11:25 AM

Quote:

AtomicAgeZombie wrote: (Post 546254)
I hope he wins. We are slowly, but surely, moving into an all digital media world and DRM is just a hassle.

I also agree. If you "buy" said itunes it should be yours like when you buy a dvd or cd. I suspect this is all about money and the potential to keep "renting fees". Should be interesting to see what the courts say since this will impact everybody who buys from apple.

AtomicAgeZombie 09-04-12 11:59 AM

tripplej 09-04-12 02:43 PM

Quote:

AtomicAgeZombie wrote: (Post 546272)

Thanks for the update. Very interesting. Wonder how all the tech website/blogs thought it was true?

jdent02 09-05-12 03:47 PM

It plays into a problem that is still kinda underground but becoming more prominent lately, i.e. just how much control you have over content you have legally purchased. Even with cd's and dvd's you don't actually 'own' anything. You've essentially purchased a single use license to view someone else's property. This is why its still technically illegal for you to make backups of your movie collection. News outlets probably latched onto it because Bruce Willis is a hip actor.

tripplej 09-05-12 04:11 PM

True. Even thou Bruce is not doing anything.... The real issue is that "single license" which 99% of the folks buying dvds/cds/itunes, etc. do not realize.. Most people if not all think the copy they bought is theirs but in reality it is not..

jdent02 09-05-12 04:22 PM

Quote:

tripplej wrote:
True. Even thou Bruce is not doing anything.... The real issue is that "single license" which 99% of the folks buying dvds/cds/itunes, etc. do not realize.. Most people if not all think the copy they bought is theirs but in reality it is not..

Nope. It used to be that way but then the digital millenium copyright act was passed.

tripplej 09-05-12 05:31 PM

Quote:

jdent02 wrote: (Post 546754)
Nope. It used to be that way but then the digital millennium copyright act was passed.

Great. I am not aware of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Will have to google it to see what it means. Thanks.

Dotball 09-06-12 08:04 AM

It was always my understanding (from selling computer software) you were able to make copies of the original disc to preserve it's integrity and use the copies for installs and backup as necessary. That doesn't quite work with electronically downloaded content but similar rules should apply.

On another note, down under we have a very unusual ruling in our copyright act (law 100 IIRC) which states if you hire a disc (movie, music, etc.) then you have the right to keep a copy of it to allow you to watch it at a later date/time should you choose. Of course, once you have watched/listened to it you do need to delete it from your systems. :o)

Cheers,