Suggestion - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 24 Old 04-28-06, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Fincave

Send a message via Skype™ to Fincave
Suggestion

I have two suggestions, the first one being establishing a 'glossary' of terms commonly used in HT with soem kind of description, this could be particularly useful to people just getting into this crazy hobby! I realise that these glossaries can be found on the net but it would be kind of cool to have them in one place, here.

My second suggestion would be a product/manufacturer set of links ie it could be broken into different compartments such as speakers, cables etc and then links to manufacturer's sites, NOT RETAIL sites. People here are using a lot of different gear and it would be nice again if one could find links from this site and not have to google all the time.

These suggestions would take some effort and would never really be complete as there are new developments happening all the time. Of course I am more than willing to help out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-28-06, 09:48 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Suggestion

Would you make the Glossary of terms a sticky in maybe a couple of the forums or put it in the FAQ (where most folks will never look huh ) ... probably better in a sticky.

Manufacturer links is a great idea I think. That would take some doing and might be better served by placing a link in the menu bar up top. Maybe between Search and Quick Links have a drop down with Manufacturer Links. It could scroll and be categorized.

Great ideas Fincave!
post #3 of 24 Old 04-28-06, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Fincave

Making the glossary of terms a sticky makes sense! They could be place in the different sub forums where they would be most relevant.

I realise you cannot speak Finnish (though I do vividly remember your attempts over at the Finnish forum), they have the manufacturer links under a sub forum Home Theatre-General and it is a sticky. Here is a link to it http://www.dvdplaza.fi/forums/showthread.php?t=30178 No need to copy the format exactly but something along those lines maybe?

post #4 of 24 Old 04-28-06, 08:52 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Whut! Makin' fun of my Finnish???

Yup... I can hardly speak English.

I think I like something like that better than what I got above in the Menu links. If I could figure out how to get it to scroll so it wouldn't take up so much space, it would be better. As you can see I only have a few links under each heading (dead links right now) and it's extremely long.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-29-06, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Fincave

Long it definitely will be!

Just for a laugh I counted how many links there are at the Finnish forum, post 1 is all manufacturers and contains 351 links. From post 2 onwards they are split into categories SOUND (speakers, subs etc) PICTURE (DVD, satellite, projectors etc), THE REST (Cables, stands, connectors). It defintely will be a lot of work getting them all together but it can be done! Google is great but it really is convenient having all the links in one place.

Come on people, we need some input on this to make it work!
post #6 of 24 Old 04-29-06, 01:30 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I think what I'll do is develope a page with them all on it. Use the link in the Menu Bar up top "Manufacturer Links" to link to that page. It will still look forumish and be easily accessible.
post #7 of 24 Old 04-29-06, 06:05 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Check out the link in the menu bar now. Still got a long way's to go to update them all. I think I'm just gonna do alphabetical for now and maybe categorize them later.
post #8 of 24 Old 04-29-06, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Fincave

Looking good It definitely will take some doing getting it all done. It may be an idea to have a section somewhere on the forum where users can post new proposals which could then be added to the official Manufacturer Links (just incase you overlook a manufacturer )
post #9 of 24 Old 04-30-06, 03:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I have a suggestion, too. Can we make the e-mail notifications include the text of the post? It's kind of a hassle to have to open the link to see if something's been posted that you might want to respond to.

Also, a preferred font selection in the profile would be nice, so I don't have to do a font command with each post. HTF used to have this, although I think the feature was lost with their new software.
post #10 of 24 Old 04-30-06, 08:04 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Okay Wayne, if you are subscribed to this thread you should be reading this via your email notification. Let me know if it is working.

The hack for default font is now an option in UserCP/Edit Options. HOWEVER, there is a minor snafu with the hack. Every time you enter into Edit Options you will have to set your default font. The hack has not been set to grab the already set default font you previously chose from the database. It defaults back to Arial if you visit the Edit Options page and do not set it each time. Of course once you set your options there's not a lot of reasons to have to go back there that often.

EDIT: Actually this is now set to default to Verdana. This was the forum default to begin with... so if users don't choose a default then it will automatically be Verdana. If you go into Edit Options to change an option and forget to reset it to your default then it defaults to Verdana when you save.