Computer Poll - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: What is your preference these days?
Name brand or pre-built PC. 7 13.73%
I still build my own PC. 28 54.90%
Laptop PC 5 9.80%
Bought a Mac and never looked back. 11 21.57%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

post #11 of 24 Old 12-06-15, 07:35 PM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System
Re: Computer Poll

I haven't been fortunate on the laptop front. I had one Toshiba that outlasted its usefulness, but the rest of them have developed issues, such as my current Dell which has a defective keyboard controller. Sure, I can use an external keyboard, but that defeats the purpose of using a laptop. A friend of mine has a MacBook, and it's been very reliable, although I did have to repair his external P/S. Overall, I'm impressed with its design and build quality.

Server chassis are great, and it would be cool to have the PC in a rack, hidden away. My stuff is in view. It's not a server case, but this is the case I bought for my daughter's PC. The system board mounts with what's normally the back rotated to the top. It's very ergonomic. The top cover is currently off while I await the arrival of the rest of the longer cables - DVI & MIDI. The longer cables will also allow me to push the PC back out of the way. The fans turn fairly slowly and are essentially silent. It's a SilverStone Raven case and it's quite well built.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/...&area=en&top=C
Attached Thumbnails
Computer Poll-daughters-pc.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 12-07-15, 08:45 AM
HTS Reviewer

All of the above, but I've been in the "bought a Mac..." stage for a while now. I enjoy the PC building process but it's just not something I have time for these days. I don't spend a lot of time on the computer at home anymore and generally don't have a need for a high performance machine. Our Mac Mini and Macbook get the job done nicely, and can run Windows or Linux if I ever have a need for a different OS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #13 of 24 Old 12-07-15, 01:09 PM
Senior Shackster

prerich

I've always built my own.....and I still do!

I like having that level of control and customization, although the industry is trying to make that difficult for builders in general (identifying computers by parts - You can't even change a video card anymore without some sort of software prep - like un-registering programs and the like).

post #14 of 24 Old 12-08-15, 09:46 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

I still have my big custom CORSAIR 900 rig ,which used to be my movie server - but now I have a SYNOLOGY NAS so I just access all the movies on my Synology with JRIVER.....
post #15 of 24 Old 12-09-15, 05:41 AM
Shackster
EZ

My System

I just built an i3nuc type computer using a BTX format and the Gigabyte H97N-WIFI with 16 gigs ram. A perfect combination with KODI.
post #16 of 24 Old 12-09-15, 08:17 AM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Sorry to disappoint you, Jim Wilson...but Mac all the way (with the exception of a PC laptop for chroma pure).
post #17 of 24 Old 12-11-15, 06:51 AM
Shackster

I've always built my own computers. That way I know exactly what components I'm getting, like motherboard, power supply, memory, and graphics card. Most important, I can select the processor that fits my needs, not the needs of a wide variety of users.

Then, when its assembled I install a Linux operating system (Mint Cinnamon for the past five years.) I realized several years ago, when I had to buy three copies of Windows XP for the three computers in my home, that Microsoft was out, as far as I was concerned. Now I can install the same system on a thousand computers if I want, and it costs nothing (unless I donate a few buciks.)

old arkiedan
post #18 of 24 Old 12-20-15, 02:23 PM
Shackster

My System

Been a Mac fan for the last 5 years or so. Prior to that, I used to build my own Windows based systems for PC Gaming.

B&W 804 and HTM | Emotiva ERD-1
Dayton UM 18 | Crown XLS 2502
Emotiva XMC-1 | XPA-2 | XPA-5
Samsung 58" Plasma | BenQ HT1075 100" Screen
Amazon Fire TV with Kodi | Oppo BDP-103
Mogami and Blue Jeans Cables
ATS and DIY Acoustic Panels
post #19 of 24 Old 12-23-15, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

I do love my MacBook Pro for reliable day to day performance. I think the build quality far exceeds the flimsy plastic notebooks but the price is a hard pill to swallow. I do miss (a little bit) building a big powerful tower then tweaking, overclocking and all that.

Mark
post #20 of 24 Old 12-25-15, 09:16 PM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System

Quote:
nova wrote: View Post
I do love my MacBook Pro for reliable day to day performance. I think the build quality far exceeds the flimsy plastic notebooks but the price is a hard pill to swallow. I do miss (a little bit) building a big powerful tower then tweaking, overclocking and all that.
The MacBook Pro is a very nice piece of hardware. I'll never forget when my current employer (semi-retirement job - 3 days a week) purchased one - I almost flipped when I saw the way the power supply docks with the laptop (that's positively brilliant in so many ways). Then I opened the laptop - everything about it felt different (even better than the Fujitsu laptop I had several years ago, which had been my favorite). After a few years of heavy use, that machine has been flawless - opened and shut numerous times a day.

I'm being a bit redundant here, but I had to respond because of your screen name in a thread about computers. For a former employee of Data General, Nova refers to their 16bit line of minicomputers (in the days before micros). For those too young to remember, it was fun back then. It's amazing to recall the 96MB disk drives, which were massive devices, with screw-in disk packs composed of ten platters (19 data surfaces and one for servo), and it ran on 208VAC, 3-phase power. Of course, those were small in comparison to what preceded them.

I purchased a pair of featherweight 250GB SSDs for the two new systems - fast as lightening, while using precious little energy. Perhaps, as amazing as the miniaturization coupled with the tremendous increase in storage capacity and speed, is the remarkable decrease in cost - from tens of thousands to less than a hundred dollars. Even that doesn't take into account the increase in reliability. Progress