Computer Poll - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: What is your preference these days?
Name brand or pre-built PC. 7 13.73%
I still build my own PC. 28 54.90%
Laptop PC 5 9.80%
Bought a Mac and never looked back. 11 21.57%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

post #21 of 24 Old 12-27-15, 05:34 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Computer Poll

I got my Surface Book and have been getting to know it. Generally I am quite impressed and pleased. I had not realized how having a big bright tablet could make things so much easier. And having the touch screen when in notebook mode is really nice. There are only two things that I would suggest Microsoft change. One is that there needs to be a solid way to store the pen, and (this is a complaint for many systems these days, including my android phone) the virtual keypad should have numbers always present, or at least a mode to do so. With stronger passwords, having to switch back and forth between alpha and numeric is a time waster. Aside from those minor things, I am very impressed. You really could replace a desktop with this thing and everything seems to work flawlessly.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 12-28-15, 07:50 AM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
There are only two things that I would suggest Microsoft change. One is that there needs to be a solid way to store the pen, and the virtual keypad should have numbers always present, or at least a mode to do so.
Thanks, I didn't think I was interested in this device, but your comments nudged me enough to have a look at it. The first thing that grabbed my attention was the hinge (I've only just looked at the product page, haven't read it yet) - brilliant, but then one of the benefits I see doesn't really apply here (since the monitor is the whole computer). With nothing but keyboard data to move, I wouldn't be surprised to find a non-mechanical interface, optical, perhaps. Sorry, I'm rambling.

Regarding your complaints, what punctuation is available without switching to another keyboard panel? Does the pen just dock magnetically at a specific location?

I have a couple of tablets that I never use. WiFi has been a problem in my room until some recent changes (I heartily recommend the Netgear Nighthawk products). My phone has been working flawlessly up here since improving the network hardware. Hmm...

(Thanks, but I probably shouldn't buy one of these. Still...I'm having no trouble justifying it to myself.)
post #23 of 24 Old 12-29-15, 12:14 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

A mixture... all PC... no Apple. I even got rid of my Apple phone after giving Apple a go for a couple of years. My Android is far superior as far as I am concerned.

Really diggin' my Dell Latitude 15.6" laptop for use while in my recliner (which is a nightly thing for several hours)... super light, VERY QUIET, awesome screen, back-lit keyboard that won't blind you, and will literally last 7-8 hours on battery. 250GB Samsung SSD, 16GB RAM... lightning fast and never any issues. Plus it didn't break the bank. I haven't found a program that I need that won't work with it. I did get the 3 year pro support warranty just in case, but it wasn't but 100 bucks more. I put my own hard drive in, so it cost me about 1250 bucks. Upgraded to the free Windows 10 a few months ago and seem to like it well enough... it's more like W7 than W8... not crazy about W8 without running classic shell. 7 Pro 64-bit is the best business route.

At work... we are running 5 of the small form factor Dell T1700 Dimensions with dual Samsung SSD's in RAID 1 configuration. Huge monitors... and of course our business relies very heavily on constant computer use all day long... solid. We are processing sales, printing receipts and labels, scanning ID's, and taking pictures... things just have to work for us or we are crippled. Finance/Lending program, pawn system, point of sale, Peachtree and Quickbooks accounting... loads of Internet access, including anywhere from 10-50 background checks per day. Most of our system wouldn't work with Apple anything... they just don't design everything to work with it like they do PC.

Of course we have a home built server here at the house too... in a very small form factor that I built a few years ago... still running strong and flawlessly.

PC's have become super robust and reliable these days, at least in our experience over the last several years. And the last few we purchased, we couldn't build for the same money and be fully covered on warranty for 3 years where someone else takes care of it by the next day in person.

post #24 of 24 Old 12-29-15, 07:36 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

My experience is similar. It really comes down to what you are doing and how you want to do it, then matching the configuration to the need. The performance and reliability differences are not as significant as in the past. Storage has become so cheap and hardware is usually fast enough to be limited by network or storage speeds.

I think for using a computer the most useful improvement is touch screen monitors. Even when not in tablet mode being able to scroll or select with a touch is very useful to me.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.