Myriad PS3 playback problems - any help deeply appreciated - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 51 Old 12-02-08, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Re: Myriad PS3 playback problems - any help deeply appreciated

Hello folks,

Thought I'd check back to update you on my progress, which has been reasonably good.

1). Audio/video synching:

This is no longer an issue - TS MuxeR can repair .VOBs with broken timecodes and convert them into .M2TS files with perfect timecodes, which the PS3 reads as straight .MPGs. So, thanks to the person who recommended this program to me...

... however, I remain slightly peeved about the fact that these repaired, "remuxed" files show occasional video disruption - smearing and artefacting, like you'd see if you were watching a damaged DVD. It doesn't happen often, but it always happens at least once in every file that I've repaired with TS MuxeR, which is irritating and takes the shine off an otherwise excellent job - if anyone can help with this, you'll become my favourite person overnight.

2). Anamorphic discs:

Still no word on this - and it stinks. I have upwards of 100 files with messed-up anamorphism.

An update, however - it's definitely not the PS3's fault. When I run back the .VOBs (or .M2TSs, for the files I've remuxed) on VLC player on my laptop, the same problem occurs.

And, strictly speaking, it's not the anamorphism that's gone - it's the vertical height of the image. The playback is still the full width of the screen, but the height is something like two thirds of what it should be. Which is even more weird!!! I mean, WHY would that happen with SO MANY discs...?!

I tried to use DVD Patcher to resolve this. I patched the height of the image from 576 lines to 720 lines (making the PAL image 720x720) to see whether I could force it to stretch the image vertically, but it didn't work - it just shifted the image up, and put 144 lines of green underneath it (weird...). It also completely messed up that particular .VOB, and I had to re-rip it.

So, I still have a significant problem with certain anamorphic discs. Please, if anyone can help, let me know...

3). Region 1 movies:

Identically to my first problem, TS MuxeR has solved this - though not without some annoying video break-up that I'd love to sort out if anyone can advise me.

Thanks again for reading.

DH.

Last edited by dh2005; 12-04-08 at 09:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 Old 12-02-08, 04:54 PM
Shackster

ludwignew

Well, I have the almost the same problem with House M.D. I play it in english and the spanish subtitles appear faster thant the sound. I'm using right now a sony DVD player.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
When the game ends, the king and the pawn return to the same box.
post #13 of 51 Old 12-02-08, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Hey there,

yeah, I think the authoring on the House DVDs is a bit dubious... but I'm amazed to hear that a standalone DVD player from such an esteemed manufacturer is having a problem like that.

post #14 of 51 Old 12-02-08, 08:38 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

DH,

On the anamorphic issue, when you use VLC you can play around with the aspect ratio a bit; does that help or cause weird artifacts too?
post #15 of 51 Old 12-03-08, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Hey there,

Thanks for taking an interest. It's much appreciated.

You may be onto something...

... when I use VLC with anamorphic .VOBs that work correctly, they look perfect immediately - that is to say, the "default" aspect ratio option produces a correctly-proportioned anamorphic picture.

When I play back one of my many (many, many...) .VOBs with this anamorphic problem, the "default" setting produces an image as I've described - the full width of the screen, but squashed vertically. However, when I force the aspect ratio setting in VLC to "16:9", they look perfect.

This suggests that there's something about the errant .VOB files that's giving incorrect information to the player, does it not? Otherwise it would know that the file is 16:9 anamorphic, and default to "16:9" mode.

Sadly, I don't know of any similar way to force the PS3 to treat a .VOB file as 16:9. The only "Screen mode" options during playback of these files are "Normal" (which produces a full width, vertically squashed picture), "Zoom" (which zooms the "Normal" image so that the there are no black bars, but leaves the picture distorted), and "Original" (which places the image in the middle of the screen with black bars all around it, again, distorted).

Another thing I've noticed - when watching anamorphic .VOBs that work properly on my PS3, the only "Screen mode" options available are "Normal" and "Original", whereas all non-anamorphic .VOBs (like 4:3 ratio TV shows) have "Normal", "Original" and "Zoom". Clearly, the PS3 cannot tell that these .VOBs I'm having trouble with are anamorphic. There must be a piece of information in the working anamorphic .VOBs that's lacking in the ones that don't work...

... but where is this information?! AND HOW CAN I CORRECT IT?!?!

EDIT: ... and PS - this very firmly refutes that DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, DVD Fab, Smart Ripper etc. create perfect copies when they rip .VOBs. As far as I'm concerned, there's no two ways about it - these programs definitely lose something when they rip, at least they do from certain discs.

Last edited by dh2005; 12-03-08 at 10:11 AM.
post #16 of 51 Old 12-03-08, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Something else I've found out from another forum...

... apparently some discs store aspect ratio information in their .IFO files, which I don't think get carried over when you rip a standalone .VOB. Maybe this is the problem...?
post #17 of 51 Old 12-03-08, 06:48 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
dh2005 wrote: View Post
Hey there,

Thanks for taking an interest. It's much appreciated.
You're welcome! I'm very interested. I have a similar problem, but I don't use a PS3 for playback; don't even have one. My problem is some DVD's play back with black bars on the top, bottom and both sides! I'm fairly sure that what is happening is that my playback programs (PowerDVD and VLC) see the movie as being in 4:3 format when it is really in 16:9 or other theatrical ratio. The problem is with the DVD's themselves and not just the rips (which just mimic the DVD's encoding). BTW, I rip to .ISO files (the whole DVD disc image) and not just the main movie to a single .VOB file.

Quote:
You may be onto something...

... when I use VLC with anamorphic .VOBs that work correctly, they look perfect immediately - that is to say, the "default" aspect ratio option produces a correctly-proportioned anamorphic picture.

When I play back one of my many (many, many...) .VOBs with this anamorphic problem, the "default" setting produces an image as I've described - the full width of the screen, but squashed vertically. However, when I force the aspect ratio setting in VLC to "16:9", they look perfect.

This suggests that there's something about the errant .VOB files that's giving incorrect information to the player, does it not? Otherwise it would know that the file is 16:9 anamorphic, and default to "16:9" mode.
I'm suspecting that your ripping program is misreading, or ignoring, the correct aspect ratio info in the DVD when it rips it. Is there any way to force the program to rip to 16:9? I just checked and I don't see any way of doing this with DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, ImgBurn or DVD Fab Platinum; bummer!

Quote:
Sadly, I don't know of any similar way to force the PS3 to treat a .VOB file as 16:9.
And there's the rub... unless you can find a ripping program that will let you specify the aspect ratio when it rips the DVD, you would have to use a program such as MediaCoder to re-encode the ripped files in the proper AR. I don't think MC will rip from DVD itself yet, but I'm not sure.
http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

Quote:
Clearly, the PS3 cannot tell that these .VOBs I'm having trouble with are anamorphic. There must be a piece of information in the working anamorphic .VOBs that's lacking in the ones that don't work...

... but where the Hell is this information?! AND HOW CAN I CORRECT IT?!?!
I don't think it's being copied to the VOB file, so there can be no correction per say. You might search the 'net for programs that will correct for errant AR's.

Quote:
EDIT: ... and PS - this very firmly refutes that DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, DVD Fab, Smart Ripper etc. create perfect copies when they rip .VOBs. As far as I'm concerned, there's no two ways about it - these programs definitely lose something when they rip, at least they do from certain discs.
I agree; they are missing something somewhere. Just for grins, why don't you try ripping one of the problem discs to an ISO file and see if VLC will play it properly in it's default mode; that should at least tell you if the ISO contains the AR data that is missing from the VOB.

Quote:
... apparently some discs store aspect ratio information in their .IFO files, which I don't think get carried over when you rip a standalone .VOB. Maybe this is the problem...?
That could very well be the case.

-----------

OK, did some research and there may be a chance that MC will allow you to re-encode your existing VOB files with only an AR change. Don't know if it will work, but it might be worth a shot. I think you can choose to copy the video without re-encoding it so it shouldn't change the image quality, just fix the AR (which you set manually).
post #18 of 51 Old 12-04-08, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Maybe I can offer some advice to you...?

... a few of my DVDs came out with a totally crocked aspect ratio. As in, not only were the .VOBs not anamorphic, they were squashed both horizontally and vertically, giving black bars on both sides and distorting the image. Does this sound like the problem you're having? Or is it simply an anamorphic image that the player fails to recognise?

EDIT: I'll tell you what I did anyway!

I used DVD Patcher to correct the aspect ratio. When I opened these .VOBs I found that their aspect ratios ("ARs", are we calling them...?) were set to 4:3. So, I copied all the other information from the existing file (bit rate, frame rate, size) into the grids below and changed the AR from 4:3 to 16:9, and checked the "Patch: Entire file" option. Then I clicked the "Patch now!" button, then "Start". Less than two minutes later, the errant file was fine.

Sadly, this doesn't work for my AR problem - as far as DVD Patcher is concerned, these .VOBs of mine are set to 16:9 already, so it can't do anything to fix it... bummer, indeed.

Last edited by Harpmaker; 12-04-08 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Slight "grammer" correction :)
post #19 of 51 Old 12-04-08, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

... man... this is getting ridiculous!

Okay, so, I installed MediaCoder on your recommendation, and set about configuring the necessary settings to repair the AR. But just for the sake of my own amusement, I decided to play one of the .VOBs I was about to transcode. And guess what...? IT WAS ANAMORPHIC!!!

Seriously, dude. How is this possible? All I did was open up a single .VOB, with no associated .IFO files, that VLC and my PS3 cannot recognise as being anamorphic... yet MediaCoder can.

Madness...

Last edited by Harpmaker; 12-04-08 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Another slight "grammer" correction :)
post #20 of 51 Old 12-04-08, 08:11 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
dh2005 wrote: View Post
... man... this is getting ridiculous!

Okay, so, I installed MediaCoder on your recommendation, and set about configuring the necessary settings to repair the AR. But just for the sake of my own amusement, I decided to play one of the .VOBs I was about to transcode. And guess what...? IT WAS ANAMORPHIC!!!

Seriously, dude. How is this possible? All I did was open up a single .VOB, with no associated .IFO files, that VLC and my PS3 cannot recognise as being anamorphic... yet MediaCoder can.

Madness...
Yep, that's a good term for it.

Perhaps if you run the movie through MC, the resulting file will be seen properly by the other programs. One can hope!