Myriad PS3 playback problems - any help deeply appreciated - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 51 Old 12-04-08, 08:17 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Myriad PS3 playback problems - any help deeply appreciated

Thanks for the tip on DVD Patcher, DH. I'll give it a try.

The movies that play back with black bars all around have the proper AR, they just don't fill the screen correctly horizontally. When I try to change the AR using VLC the AR is then messed up and things start looking weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 Old 12-04-08, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

I see... that sounds to me like the player just hasn't picked-up the anamorphism, which is different to the problem that Patcher was able to help me out with. All the same, give it a shot. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...!

As for other players being able to see the anamorphism, my PS3 still can't - and that's the one I'm most concerned about.

I'm making a right name for myself over on one of the doom9 boards - a couple of the guys over there keep telling me to include the .IFO files, and all my dreams will come true... sadly, the PS3 can't see them, so it looks like I've drawn another blank.

Man...!
post #23 of 51 Old 12-04-08, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Oh, and, to the owners of this board... I'll mind my "grammar" in future. Sorry...

post #24 of 51 Old 12-04-08, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

WHAT a day I've had...!

When this is all over, I've a mind to open a new information thread for people intending to use their PS3 for DVD-archiving. It can be done, yes, but not without sacrifice...

... so far, this is what I've worked out:

The PS3 is extremely fussy as a video player. EXTREMELY. Even if a .VOB appears for all the World to be anamorphic, sometimes, the PS3 just won't listen. And there doesn't seem to be a reason why.

Furthermore, when you rip a .VOB with a broken timecode, repairing that timecode with tsMuxeR produces a file that plays flawlessly on a PC... but the PS3, again, is more fussy - occasional video break-up is the price that you, apparently, have no choice but to pay.

So speaks the bitter voice of experience - I must've poured over 100 hours into making this work over the last four weeks, and no matter how hard I've tried, I've come up short. I've downloaded dozens of freeware video programs (DVDShrink, DVDFab, DVDDecrypter, Smart Ripper, meGUI, tsMuxeR, IFOEdit, PGCDemux, Muxman, VOB2MPG, VOBMerge, VIDChanger, MediaCoder, DVDPatcher, AVS... and others that I'm currently too depressed to remember), and it really, truly, hasn't got me anywhere. Here are the only success stories that I have to show for all this effort:

1). Remuxing with tsMuxeR and/or PGCDemux and Muxman will make .VOBs with broken timecodes playable - but this process will, without fail, mess-up the video a little. Not much, but enough to be irritating.

2). DVDPatcher can allow you to repair 16:9 anamorphic .VOBs that have been incorrectly labelled as 4:3 - sadly, of the 400 discs I've ripped, I found only three such discs, whereas I found more than 100 discs with anamorphic problems that were labelled as 16:9; only the PS3 didn't know it.

I feel like I'm alone out here. I've scoured the internet for people as distraught as me, but there really doesn't seem to be anyone who's tried and/or failed to undertake the task that I set out to do a month ago. And if I'd known how long it was going to take, and how frustrating it was going to prove to be, I honestly wouldn't have bothered with it.

On that miserable note, I'm going to bed.

Goodnight, cruel World.

(see y'all tomorrow!)
post #25 of 51 Old 12-04-08, 11:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

I truly am sorry to hear about all the troubles you've been having. What's worse is I honestly don't know what to tell you.

I have over 800GB of DVDs archived and they all play just fine. I know that's not what you want to hear, but mine do work. I have both movies and TV series archived.

It sounds like you're having problems with more than just House. I saw it mentioned that House has some questionable DVD coding. I don't have House so I can't make a comment one way or another. This isn't meant to be snotty, but I also don't plan on buying it just to see if I have the same problem.

I did run into issues with one TV series though, that being Monty Python. I have the complete TV series, I think it's over 20 DVDs. They are definitely formatted in a nonstandard way and I couldn't archive those at all, but everything else works fine.

Highlander is seven seasons, and there are at least seven DVDs per season (some have even more) and it is in anamorphic wide screen and they all play perfectly.

Again I'm sorry about your fustrations. I can try to use some of the programs you have used and see what happens. I only use Shrink myself. What version of Shrink do you have? Maybe we have different versions.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #26 of 51 Old 12-04-08, 11:41 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Sorry you haven't found a solution yet, DH. It sure isn't for lack of trying.

If you might be interested in looking into another media player check out this thread: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post129196. I'm thinking about it myself.
post #27 of 51 Old 12-05-08, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Hey both,

Thanks for your kind words! What a rotten day yesterday was...

... I was ill, so I took the day off from classes and sat at home, coughing and spluttering and trying to crack this thing - but everything I tried didn't work.

The last straw was realising that the video problems I'd encountered with tsMuxeR also occurred when using another demuxing program... except when played back on a PC, where they never happened at all! Meaning that the shortcomings I was encountering were down to the PS3, and nothing that I could do anything about. I'd literally wasted the entire day trying to fix something that couldn't be fixed.

As for buying another media player, I really don't know where I'd put it. The whole purpose of this DVD
-archiving exercise was to save space - so far, I've bought a PS3 and two external hard drives to realise this dream, and it still hasn't happened!
post #28 of 51 Old 12-05-08, 11:35 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
dh2005 wrote: View Post
I'd literally wasted the entire day trying to fix something that couldn't be fixed.
Yeah... some days you're the windshield (windscreen for those across the pond ), and some days you're the bug.

Quote:
As for buying another media player, I really don't know where I'd put it. The whole purpose of this DVD-archiving exercise was to save space - so far, I've bought a PS3 and two external hard drives to realise this dream, and it still hasn't happened!
You might want to check of that WD media player. It's about the size of a paperback book.

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?driveid=572

Even though the docs don't specify it, at least one review of the unit said it will read DVD .ISO files; I would think it would see .VOB's then too.
post #29 of 51 Old 12-05-08, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so it's definitely a workable size...

... but what will happen if I buy it, only to discover that it only plays straight .VOBs, can't see the anamorphism, and gives me the same trouble with remuxed .VOBs...?! I'll TELL you what...!

... ... ... ...

And let's be honest - nobody wants to see that.
post #30 of 51 Old 12-05-08, 05:32 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

The thing that confuses me is this- I've used shrink to backup kids DVDs (after having several special edition DVD destroyed by the little ones) and I can assure everyone they playback just like the original and work on my computer, HD DVD player, PS3, and Samsung DVD player. If it's anamorphic, it plays back anamorphic on all of those players. I also can select any alternate sound track or Dolby track that's available... It truly is just like the original.

The only time there is any slightly noticble PQ hit is for something like a Superbit disc where it's a dual layer disc and pretty much just the movie and no special features... meaning the movie is using max disc space. A lot of titles aren't like that though and because of the special features the movie itself is usually around 5GB, sometimes less. In those instances the slight amount of compression isn't noticeable at all.

Unless there is something wrong with your PS3 (which I doubt and am not pointing the finger) playback should look identical to the DVD... unless as stated it's a Superbit, but even those require a close keen eye to see any degraded PQ. That's been my experience.

I am not a big fan of converting, remixing, or multiple programs. Anytime I have tried that route I ended up with problems like audio sync issues, PQ issues as well as losing aspect ratio for some. With Shrink I don't run into those issues.

So what we need to do is find out if there are any differences in setups.

What PS3 do you have? I have the original 60GB PS3 which has different hardware inside including the entire PS2 chipset (that's why mine is 100% PS2 compatable). There is a 20GB version that is essentially the same as mine but it has a smaller hard drive and only two USB ports, but it still had the PS2 chipset as far as I know. Then Sony discontinued those two and came out with the 40GB and 80GB version. The 80GB PS3 has some PS2 backwards compatability but it does it through software emulation not hardware like mine. The 40GB version is not PS2 compatable at all.

I'll check my FW version, but I believe it is the latest because I just had to update it to play Star Wars The Force Unleashed (which was very disappointing). Shrink is version 3.2.0.15 I connect to a Sony 55" SXRD and a Panasonic AX200u front projector through an HDMI switch that auto senses the input and has two HDMI outputs. Quick sidebar... this is a sweet switcher. It has four inputs and two outputs and I can put my source on both the SXRD or the AX200 at the same time or I can send one input like say the HD DVD player to the SXRD and the PS3 to the projector independantly.

Netflix and Sony are supposed to be adding Watch Instantly streaming movies, but no word on when that will happen.

The Western Digital WD TV HD Media player looks very interesting.
Video -MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264)

That means it should work with the same method used for the PS3 where you rename the file extention from .vob to .mpeg. Note that this is not a file conversion because VOB files are actually mpeg encoded. Changing the extention just makes it playable in media players and devices that do not know what .vob is. Chances are based on what you've described, I'd say off hand you may have the same issues as with the PS3 but I can't say for sure.

Being able to format the drive in NTFS is a great plus because it means no more 4GB file size limitation. The reason most external drives are done in FAT32 is so they are compatable with the widest variety of devices and computers such as Mac's and PC's.

Other than that, my suggestion would be to build an HTPC. PS3's haven't dropped in price much at all so you should be able to sell yours and get almost what you paid for it. If it has a transferable extended warranty, then I'd say you probably can get what you paid. That way you can put that money in an HTPC. Beware though that they aren't as easy to build as it may seem. You'll need an HDCP compliant video card as well as a Bluray player. I would suggest the LG Superdrive that plays SDVDs, HD DVDs, as well as Blurays. You will also need to buy a High Def software player though so keep that in mind.

Audio on an HTPC can also be tricky. Not all HDMI video cards pass the audio through, so you could be stuck with using a sound card with digital audio out.

That above is if you want to have HD playback, which the PS3 does provide via Bluray and upconverting or playing HD files from your drive. For SDVD playback you can get away with more plain jane cards.

Let me ask this... have you tried streaming from your PC to your PS3 or try connecting your PC directly to your TV? It could be the TV. If the files work just fine on your PC there really is no reason they shouldn't play the same from the PS3. It's worth checking out because if that's the issue then any solution you try could give you the same problem.

I've had my PS3 for two years now and as mentioned I have 800GB of content on external drives and this method does work, so what we need to do is figure out why it's not working for you.

As I see it, it is one of the following reasons:
  1. There is something up with your PS3. I'd see if anyone else has the exact same model you have and see if they have the same problems. If so it's something up with that model. If not, then it's something else...
  2. Verify what FW version you have. Mine has worked from FW 1.8 to the most recent, so I doubt that's the problem but it's worth checking.
  3. What version of Shrink do you have? I have also used different version, but let's not rule anything out.

Aside from that, if it's not happening to every disc, then it could be the disc itself, but I doubt that too since you already said it plays back on your PC just fine.

Quote:
dh2005 wrote:
The PS3 is extremely fussy as a video player. EXTREMELY.
Again I am sorry to hear about your problems and disappointment but I'm not ready to categorically make that statement. Maybe it's a problem between models, I don't know. My son has the 40GB version and hasn't had any playback issues with anything from his external drive but his PS3 did go belly up on him and he had to have it sent back to Sony for repair. In two years I haven't had one glitch, hiccup or burp with mine, and that includes the time we went on vacation for two weeks and the cat hit the power button and turned the PS3 on. It might have only been on a few minutes before we got home, or could have been on the entire two weeks... I can say I've watched movie after movie on it and then rolled into playing a game for a couple of hours and it never over heated.

Trust me on this, I am not a Sony fan by any means. CEDIA though uses a PS3 in their media room, and as a player it consistantly is ranked up there with players like the Pioneer Elite BD player. It isn't perfect, but is far more updateable than any dedicated BD player I know of and the ability to connect external drives and play archived movies is a 10+ on the coolness scale.

Try some of the things I suggested, such as streaming to the PS3... maybe that will be an option you like better than anything since you can connect your drives to your PC and stream to the PS3. Next try connecting your PC to your TV and see what happens. If none of those work... we'll figure out what's going on but I know this works and everyone that's seen it in action is amazed and wants one.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken