Myriad PS3 playback problems - any help deeply appreciated - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 51 Old 12-05-08, 06:11 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Myriad PS3 playback problems - any help deeply appreciated

Quote:
dh2005 wrote: View Post
Okay, so it's definitely a workable size...

... but what will happen if I buy it, only to discover that it only plays straight .VOBs, can't see the anamorphism, and gives me the same trouble with remuxed .VOBs...?! I'll TELL you what...!

... ... ... ...

And let's be honest - nobody wants to see that.
If you buy it from a local store it should be easy to return it if it doesn't work for you. At least that's my plan if one goes on sale after Christmas.

I want to point out that I'm not pimping the WD media player; it just happens to be the one that looks the best for the money to me right now. A down-side of the unit is that it can't play DVD's directly or games; but I really don't need those abilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 12-05-08, 06:25 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

But the pluses are many... mainly that without the 4GB limitation than anything is a potential go... even HD files which as we know 4GB would only be around 20 minutes of high def playback if that.

It really is an interesting device and is the same size as the My Books so it wouldn't look out of place on a shelf with other My Books.

I think we are going to start seeing a lot of options like these because I strongly believe the future of video will be digital media much in the same way mp3 players are starting to replace CD players. Even Sony has formally said that Bluray only has a five year shelf life so they know it will never replace DVD, instead it and DVDs will ultimately be replaced with a different method be it streaming content or media cards the size of a postage stamp.

Too bad we can't get one of these puppies for a review.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #33 of 51 Old 12-05-08, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ongoing interest, guys.

Bill - I have a "new" PS3. An 80GB one. I'm quite open to the suggestion that this hardware's less robust. I have the most recent firmare (2.52, or something...), and the most recent version of Shrink (3.2.0.15...).

Honestly, buddy. I've tried everything.

post #34 of 51 Old 12-05-08, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

... in fact, I have an explanation as to why the PS3's at fault.

While over on Doom9, I made a nuisance of myself. I identified a couple of guys who knew what they were talking about and pandered to their egos for a whole day - they gave me all sorts of information that explained why the PS3 was giving me problems. And I didn't just accept their theories outright - I tested them out for myself.

Fact is that some .VOBs don't run properly without the .IFO files from within their VIDEO_TS directories. They just don't. Doesn't seem to matter whether or not the .VOBs are labelled as 16:9 or not - sometimes the PS3 just can't identify the aspect ratio. I know this is true because when running the offending .VOBs on my PC without the .IFOs, they don't work properly there either... the key difference is that you can tell a PC media player to use the .IFOs, which results in perfect video playback. But you can't force the PS3 to do that.

Some ananorphic DVDs clearly do hold all the necessary information in the .VOB, which is why the aspect ratio and anamorphism on your Highlander DVDs are intact (my 24 and Arrested Development .VOBs work perfectly, too...). But some don't. And the PS3 doesn't have a workaround for that.

Another problem concerns the necessity to merge .VOBs together when playing them back on the PS3. As you probably know, on a DVD the main movie will be broken-up into 1GB .VOBs that play in sequence - there's no break in playback between these 1GB chunks because the DVD player can buffer the next .VOB so that they run together seamlessly... but the PS3 can't. Which is why we merge our .VOBs into a single 4GB file - sometimes this works fine, but sometimes it chews the timecode.

Like I said - sometimes. Sometimes it's fine. But sometimes it comes out knackered, and the files breaks down when you try to play it back.

Seems to me like you've been lucky, in that everything you've ripped has come good... sadly, I've got the other end of the stick!
post #35 of 51 Old 12-05-08, 10:19 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

To tell you the truth, all this just reinforces my opinion of why a HTPC is the best all-purpose media player. It's not the cheapest, smallest, quietest or easiest solution, but, with a little planning, it can be made to do just about anything that might be called for and is almost infinitely expandable and upgradeable. My main media server will be a HTPC. I'm thinking about getting the WD Media Player as a secondary playback device so that less 'techy' family members can manage to use it.
post #36 of 51 Old 12-05-08, 10:25 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
dh2005 wrote:
While over on Doom9, I made a nuisance of myself. I identified a couple of guys who knew what they were talking about
And I don't? Just teasing

Quote:
dh2005 wrote:
Fact is that some .VOBs don't run properly without the .IFO files from within their VIDEO_TS directories.
While this is true it is the exception and not the rule. An overwhelming majority of DVDs don't do it this way unless this is something that very recent DVDs are starting to do.

I have over 1500 DVDs and yes some don't want to archive, but like I said that's the rare exception and not the rule. The unfortunate part is if it happens to be something a person really wants to archive.

In that respect I wouldn't blame the PS3 and say it's at fault, it's doing what it was programmed to do. The beauty of it is though is that they could add the ability to play sequential files from a play list as well as read the IFO information... but don't hold your breath that Sony will ever provide that functionality. I will go out on a limb and say right now that the WD Media player will have this same problem. It sounds like your option is an HTPC then.

When you mention the 1GB chunks... are you doing it that way and then recombining them afterwards? If so I had nothing but trouble doing it that way and just opt to have one vob file instead of the individual chunks. I will also add that over 90% of my files have the .mpeg extention and not the .vob file extention.

If I am lucky then I am greatful about that, but I can same many others have been just as lucky too. I spent weeks, maybe a couple of months scouring the web to see if anyone has done this and I couldn't find anything other than converting to Divx or other conversion programs that quite frankly were less successful than this method and took hours and hours only to end up with VHS quality. I tried to make this as easy as possible but will say that rarely is anything the end all beat all one and only solution. They all have draw backs of one kind or another.

It does sound like you've exhausted all options. Time is money, even if it's personal time spent doing something. As I see it your options are to stream to the PS3, look at something like Popcorn Hour, or think about an HTPC.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #37 of 51 Old 12-06-08, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Don - I assume that stands for "Home Theatre PC"...?

I can't really be bothered with the hassle and expense of getting a new PC and spec'ing it up. I think, as Bill has commented, the Popcorn Hour machines are my next port of call...

... assuming that this isn't still a problem: http://www.networkedmediatank.com/sh...id=1446&page=4

Can anyone comment...?

Bill - I agree that HDD media playback is very much a secondary function of the PS3. I'm not trying to give the PS3 a hard time... but, when push comes to shove, it can't do what I need it to. And that's frustrating!

As for your 'exception to the rule' comments, that's definitely true of the broken timecode issue - less than 30 of almost 400 discs that I've archived have this problem. But the anamorphic issue's much more intrusive - more than 100 discs don't work properly in this regard, and that's an unacceptably high failure rate.

All the same, the PS3's a great machine, and I'm still pleased to've bought it. I was in the market for a Blu-ray player, and it was the only sensible choice given its price and my interest in gaming. I like the PS3 a lot but, for me at least, it has its limits.
post #38 of 51 Old 12-06-08, 01:06 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
dh2005 wrote: View Post
Don - I assume that stands for "Home Theatre PC"...?

I can't really be bothered with the hassle and expense of getting a new PC and spec'ing it up. I think, as Bill has commented, the Popcorn Hour machines are my next port of call...

... assuming that this isn't still a problem: http://www.networkedmediatank.com/sh...id=1446&page=4

Can anyone comment...?
Yes, HTPC stands for Home Theater Personal Computer. Sorry about not stating that.

The Popcorn machines seem to be a very good choice; for those wanting or needing networking I think they are the top choice; in fact, having almost all of the home theater aspects of a HTPC, but a smaller footprint and less noise - and less cost. What you give up over a real HTPC is the ability to fine tune the device to your personal needs and desires, and the ability to update to the latest codecs whenever you want.

I think if the Powers-That-Be play their cards right and don't get greedy, the 'next big thing' in video will be networking music and video. Lo-res versions for free (or very cheap) and then bring up the price for higher-def material. DVD's could well go the way of the dinosaur.

Just as a follow-up: DVD Patcher didn't solve my aspect ratio problem with "Enemy of the State". It turns out that the DVD is really made in 4:3 AR, but is letter-boxed! The only way to get it to look like it should is to use MediaCoder to change the resolution to compensate for the crummy job they did on the DVD and then crop the image. I don't think I want to mess with that right now - maybe later.
post #39 of 51 Old 12-06-08, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Sorry that it didn't work out, dude.
post #40 of 51 Old 12-08-08, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

I've just ordered a Popcorn Hour A-110, and a 1.5TB internal drive for it. Should be with me this time next week... I'll report back when I've got it working.