Myriad PS3 playback problems - any help deeply appreciated - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 51 Old 12-08-08, 12:30 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Myriad PS3 playback problems - any help deeply appreciated

Quote:
dh2005 wrote: View Post
I've just ordered a Popcorn Hour A-110, and a 1.5TB internal drive for it. Should be with me this time next week... I'll report back when I've got it working.
Sweet!

Looking forward to your report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 Old 12-08-08, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

I look forward to giving it...!
post #43 of 51 Old 12-12-08, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Looks like my review's going to be a little longer in coming. My A-110 hasn't shipped, yet. All rather irritating.

Maybe Monday... which means I should have it on Thursday or Friday.

post #44 of 51 Old 12-15-08, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

I'm now told that it won't be in stock before Wednesday... if it's delayed any further, I may not get it before Christmas. And that would really suck.

Ya know what else sucks? Ripping your entire DVD collection all over again for a different media centre, because your previous plan didn't work...! I'm not that mad, though; provided the PCH A-110 can meet my playback requirements in ways that the PS3 couldn't - if the A-110 can't do it either, I may have a stroke.
post #45 of 51 Old 12-16-08, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Update - the stock's arrived! Should be with me before Friday...
post #46 of 51 Old 12-21-08, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Okay, guys. Here's my preliminary report:

The A-110's great, but it's not as user-friendly as you might think. Unless you've some experience with computers, both hardware and software, you're gonna need something more 'public domain'.

When I fitted my co-newly-purchased 1.5TB drive to my A-110, I realised I was going to have to format it before playing any media. What I didn't realise was that the drive was going to refuse to co-operate for two hours, and then only co-operate in a Linux fashion, thereby requiring me to install some Linux drive-mounting software so that my Windows PC could talk to it... this annoyed me a little.

Next up, the two external USB drives I bought in October to use with my PS3 didn't work either. And they still don't. Looks like they're incompatible - there are lots of drives with this problem... this annoyed me a lot.

But the good news is that it runs fully-ripped DVD images very, very nicely. They're upscaled well enough to look dandy on a 32" HDTV (EDIT: I make no promises to those of you with 100" projector screens...), and all the menus, features, subtitles, audio tracks etc. work perfectly. AND THERE'S NO ANAMORPHIC PROBLEM!!!

For me, the reasons to be cheerful outweigh the reasons to be cross. But be warned - if you buy one of these things expecting to just plug it in and watch it go, you may run into some frustration.

Last edited by dh2005; 12-21-08 at 07:59 PM.
post #47 of 51 Old 12-21-08, 10:41 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Thanks for the report DH!

That drive recognition problem is a deal-breaker for me. Do you think it's a hardware problem with the drives themselves, or does the A-110 just not like Windows formatted drives? I'm assuming all these drives worked on a Windows box with no problem.
post #48 of 51 Old 12-22-08, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

It's a hardware issue. There are a number of internal and external drives that don't work with the A-110. Here are the known lists, so far:

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/sh...id=7735&page=1

http://networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=8153

As a rule of thumb, Hitatchi drives don't work.

You should give one of these things a look, if you can. They're not absolutely flawless, but they're very pleasing.
post #49 of 51 Old 12-22-08, 02:11 PM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

I have yet to put a drive in my Popcorn Hour A-110. Just have it access, via the local 100 Mbps wired network, the important shares on my two home PC's. Plus I've installed myiHome as a http:\\ server on my more powerful machine. Play's 1080i captured HDTV shows just fine. Without a drive the PCH is dead quiet, has no fan, and runs very cool.
post #50 of 51 Old 12-23-08, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, it runs silently without a drive. But, in my experience, it's quiet with a drive. I used to use an Xbox 360 for DVD playback, and they are hilariously loud. You wouldn't believe the noise. It's a like a jet engine...