Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 50 Old 11-24-08, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Scott

Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player

Does anyone have one? What do you think?

Looks like what I've been looking for. I started ripping everything to an external for use with my PS3 but I might just pick up one of these instead.

One thing I noticed and liked was you can use NTFS formatted drives instead of FAT32 like with the PS3. No more pesky 4 gb file size limit.

Take care,

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 11-24-08, 03:53 PM
Shackster
Tater

Re: Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player

I was wondering about this also, Ive been using WD 1T External Hard Drive plugged into my PS3 to play my backed up media. Can you plug the External to the WD TV HD Media Player and get the clip art and a better menu. Tate
post #3 of 50 Old 11-24-08, 04:52 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

I don't own one of these devices, but I'm thinking about it. Like you Scott, the 4GB file size limit of the PS3 concerns me since I have many DVD's backed up as ISO files and don't want to have to compress them.

After looking at WD TV™ HD Media Player's specs, it comes up a bit short for me since they don't specifically say it supports ISO, VOB or VIDEO_TS playback. It plays back most other video formats though. It also doesn't have a component connection. Some folks are worried because Divx isn't specifically stated as being supported, and others don't like that it doesn't have a network connection.
http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?driveid=572

Another media player I'm looking at is the INOi MH720. I don't believe it will take external hard drives, but it can be used with an internal drive up to 1TB and does have a USB connection so it can be moved between your home theater and PC. This is an older player so be sure to check it's specs. BTW, it will play VOB files. However; I just found out that, unlike the WD device above, the INOi player will not make it's own playlists; this could be the kiss-of-death for this player for me since I have an earlier INOi DVD player that takes a proprietary removable USB hard drive, and everything on the HDD is in the order of date copied to the drive; very frustrating.

post #4 of 50 Old 11-25-08, 08:23 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Here is a link to the best review I have seen so far on the WD Media Player.
http://maddhat.com/?p=31

Like all new devices, it will take a little while for all the bugs to be worked out, but right now this looks like a pretty good player for the money.

While I don't have 100% confirmation, I believe the device will play ISO files. This just might be on my Christmas list!
post #5 of 50 Old 11-25-08, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Scott

Thanks for the review link Don!

Seemed like there was a few issues but for the $100 price it might work perfect for me. My TV is only a 720p so I don't think the 1080p issues would affect me.

One of my biggest complaints with using my PS3 is the fan noise. It's pretty much out in the open since it gets so hot but then you can hear the fan all the time. This little thing would be silent. Just need to get a good quite external hard drive. I can picture a matching WD 1TB sitting next to it on the shelf now.

There are some pretty informative reviews over on Amazon also. Seems like there might be a freezing issue when fast forwarding ISO files. To be honest I don't fast forward or rewind much so that should be a big deal. ISO would be great. So much faster to rip to an ISO than to have to convert to something else. I wouldn't even know what the next best file type would be. Too much information for me.

My Christmas list is pretty full so I might have to wait till after.
post #6 of 50 Old 11-26-08, 01:53 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

I'll have to check out the reviews at Amazon... I don't know why I keep forgetting to check them on stuff like this. I guess being an old bugger, I still think of them as just a book store.

As far as external hard drives go, I just got a Fantom GD1000EU 1TB USB 2.0 / eSATA Silver GreenDrive external Hard Drive and I LOVE it! It is super quiet, doesn't have an obnoxious super-bright blue LED like most of my external drives, and runs so cool you almost wonder if it's working! IMO, it would be the perfect drive to use with the WD Media Player.

post #7 of 50 Old 11-27-08, 10:39 AM
Banned!

I know it's twice the money, but an NMT device like the popcorn hour might serve you better (more file support like iso, vob, and network support as well).
post #8 of 50 Old 11-27-08, 02:44 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

The Popcorn solutions indeed look great, but for us po' folk their extra cost puts a damper on things.
post #9 of 50 Old 12-30-08, 10:07 AM
Banned!

WD has a 1.01 firmware that improves functionality greatly. If you have this device, make sure you upgrade.
post #10 of 50 Old 01-04-09, 04:03 PM
Shackster
JBlaze

I like to just add that presently I'm using the Western Digital TV HD Media player; Let me start by saying that by it being one of the new and popular companies to introduce the whole HD media concept it is definitely according to my family & friends the HOTTEST thing since Blu-ray. Now, I've been seriously thinking of building my own HTPC for a while now and during my research I came across this little black box and considering that a properly built HTPC will run me a few hundred dollars; I jumped on the Western Digital at the steal price of $119 (Newegg) or $129(Bestbuy). I must admit the play-back of downloaded HD video (1080p) are GREAT! It's nice to just download and play using this device w/o having to convert/burn onto dvd just to play on my HDTV. At first I was in awe for awhile until I needed and wanted more, such as, network/wi-fi capability. It is annoying to have to constantly connect/disconnect my external hard drive to add more videos; also at times some videos need to be converted with the included software (ArcSoft MediaConverter) which at times can take hours. Another minor headache is the video player's lack of skip back or skip forward. Sure, you can rewind or fast forward the movie that you're watching but if you restart a movie and want to jump forward to the part you were at you have to sit there and slowly fast forward until you get to the scene you want. Considering how great the WD TV is the lack of a quick skip button is something of a disappointment. For the average user who needs basic media play-back e.g.(music,pictures) and video at 1080p on your HDTV at this price this little unit is awesome!