PS3 Video Server, Media Server Preliminary Setup and Tests - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 411 Old 07-07-07, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Re: PS3 Video Server, Media Server Preliminary Setup and Tests

Quote:
bob1029 wrote: View Post
Yeah I can probably work on a tutorial here in a few days when I get some downtime. About the 1x thing, I was referring to it taking about the same amount of time it would be to play back the dvd. Also, it would be best to have all of the vob files you want combined together, BUT if you are trying to do a tv series and not a movie, typically you have multiple episodes per disc, so it would be best to see if the vob files are split by episode, then just encode them seperately and name the files as needed.
Yep that is exactly how I am going to tackle TV series, split the VOB files out into their individual episodes.

So the conversion time for your method doesn't sound bad at all. No where near what I experienced with the other two software methods. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking them, and in actuality PS3 Video 9 is meant more for smaller clips than it is for an entire DVD.

Still if you can do a tutorial (no rush, whenever you have the time) that would be excellent. That way people can have a variety of ways to pick from and decide what works best for them. Some may only feel comfortable with a simple rename method while others will want to conserve maximum hard drive space. This would satisfy both sets of users.

Thanks for providing your input and this is starting to become an interesting topic with lots of potential and a variety of ways of achieving it.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 411 Old 07-08-07, 02:35 PM
Senior Shackster

bob

Send a message via AIM to bob1029 Send a message via MSN to bob1029

Ok, ive been messing around with a lot of x264 encoding tools, and so far the quickest and least buggy one is handbrake. During my preliminary tests, I encoded minority report (2:25:04 length) to a 2000 meg file, which includes a 320 kbps (44.1kHz) 5.1 channel audio track. The video quality was more than acceptable in my opinion, but that is for everyone else to decide. The best part about it is that the encode time was about half the movie run time. I am unable to confirm that the generated mp4 file actually plays on a ps3 as I do not have one available right now, but it plays back wonderfully on a pc, so if you simply have a htpc setup, this is still something to seriously consider.

A quick cost analysis (assuming the 2000 meg file avg):

To store 1000 dvds on a hdd setup:
4 drive esata enclosure: 200$
4x500gb: 520$

720$ for enough storage to maintain a 1000 dvd collection seems to be a fair deal to me. If you dont need the external enclosure and can mount the drives internally, you could cut the cost to 520$... This sounds very tempting to me. If you are concerned about data integrity, you could always store 500 dvds with the assurance that your collection is 100% safe by using raid 0+1 on the external enclosure.

I will post more details later.
post #23 of 411 Old 07-21-07, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

My son came home to visit for the week and him and a friend are over tonight playing games on the big screen. His friend happens to have an XBOX 360!

So of course I had to hook up the USB drive to it and check it out. It detected the drive and we were able to navigate through the directories, but it won't playback mpeg2 files. I'll have to check what format the 360 uses, but it can also be used as a media server with an external HD.

My son's friend though said after seeing the PS3 running through a 1080p set and how easy it was to put flicks on the external drive that he may sell his 360. I told him I wouldn't if I was him, but if he does to let me know and I might buy it!

Format neutral and console neutral!

post #24 of 411 Old 08-27-07, 04:04 PM
dbrady
Inactive

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
if he does to let me know and I might buy it!

Format neutral and console neutral!

yeah, let us know if he decides to sell, I wouldn't mind having a 360 around too!

I broke down and picked up a PS3, loving it so far, although from an integration standpoint, I still want a way to power it on without using a controller or the bluetooth remote.... I am using the USB-PS2 adapter with the PS2 remote and it works great, learned all the codes into my T2+ and can do pretty much everything, except I need that stupid PS code that allows you to power on and off the unit and such.

I could see the PS3 becoming a main hub for entertainment in the HT realm, with some minor tweaks and whatnot.

I was able to get my photos and music streaming via the net with no big issues, so I am happy with that.
post #25 of 411 Old 08-27-07, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

What did you use for the server streaming side?

post #26 of 411 Old 08-29-07, 07:13 PM
dbrady
Inactive

I haven't gotten that far yet, but I will most likely just use my external HD and plug directly in to the PS3 to watch any stored movies.

As for my clients, I will stick with using either KScapes or other DVD management devices for movies. The whole encoding process would be too much for them.
post #27 of 411 Old 10-28-07, 09:46 PM
gators96
Inactive

did my first one pn my ps3 . all i can say is awsome.

thank you so much
post #28 of 411 Old 11-28-07, 09:02 AM
Shackster

ALIENWARE

Thanks for the tutorial,is the best thing I ever learn,but you skip one verry good thing,when I played the movies on PS3,they have 5.1 dolby digital sound,I was impresed.I will never use any convertrer again,they only convert sound to 2.0 stereo.I have a 2.01 firmware ps3 upgraded w/a 115 GB HDD (not to mention my FAT32 formated 150GB external HDD)
post #29 of 411 Old 11-28-07, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

You're right Alienware, I didn't mention that it retains the original sound track that the DVD has. Essentially it is just like watching the DVD but without the menu just the movie.

I've loaded up more and it's a breeze to do.

post #30 of 411 Old 11-28-07, 02:25 PM
Shackster

ALIENWARE

I have one problem,I rip and renamed the anime movie APLLE SEED,but on ps3 plays with no sound and I can't fastfoward (it freezes).I rip the movie 3 times and have the same problem,but in the pc plays fine.I'm doing evrething as you explain in the tutorial and this is the first time that have problem.
(sorry for my bad english,Im a spanish guy)