PS3 Video Server, Media Server Preliminary Setup and Tests - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 411 Old 01-04-08, 10:56 PM
Shackster

ALIENWARE

Re: PS3 Video Server, Media Server Preliminary Setup and Tests

2.10,and I think is the best update.Also I discovered today that if you rip a dvd movie and copy to the ps3 at it is (.vob)with the new update it will play,so you dont have to reneame to .mpeg.THE PS3 NOW PLAYS .vob FILES,YEA BABY....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 411 Old 01-05-08, 12:16 PM
Banned!

Re: Building a Home Media Server

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
Hi Charles and welcome to The Shack!

As you know I am a fan of the .vob rename since it remaind DVD quality, but the files are of course larger.

DivX is popular, but I think you've seen over Sony's PS3 forum there are some more more steps, mainly with conversions. What concerned me was one comment that it's 'close' to DVD quality, and I personally don't want close.

It sounds like you're planning on streaming, is that correct? You might want to test DivX though and see if it's acceptable to you as far as PQ. I'm not really familiar with it though and can't comment on whether it retains the same audio tracks.

With that many DVDs you want to make sure of a method before getting half way in and deciding to change! You're looking at 14TB if you go vob rename and I see why you want to save some space.
Divx will allow you to keep the unaltered AAC (which will obviously take up more space). I like FairUseWizard because it's what I've used in the past, but I'm sure there is better software out there.

I think DIVX is your only option if you really want to do every movie you own.
post #43 of 411 Old 01-05-08, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
ALIENWARE wrote: View Post
Well,well,well...with the new update the PS3 gets DivX support.DivX have a converter that converts movies in HD,with less of a gig per hour,and the same video quality of the movie you convert.I will delete all my 4g per movie and satrt converting in DivX..
Weird, I made a post earlier today but now don't see it...

Anyway, ALIENWARE can you test something for me?

I got a game that said it needed a firmware update, 1.9x I think but they are now up to 2.1 as we all know. I read the update and it stated a video playback file size restriction of 2GB. It read like this pertained to DivX and WMV formats, but I was leery about if it would also be for mpeg2 files. Could you test an mpeg2 video file that's over 2GB and let me know for sure? I played it safe and updated to 2.01 but if I get an actual confirmation from someone that tested this I'll be updating to 2.1

Thanks!

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken

post #44 of 411 Old 01-05-08, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

DivX test

Well this first try was a bust.

The process was easy enough. I downloaded the trial package from DivX.com and all you have to do is drag and drop a file to the converter and it does the rest.

First it took 4 hours to convert a movie. When it was done though I got a 5124 error and I could not find that code anywhere on the DivX site. It looks like it bombed out because I can't even find the converted file in the destination folder. Four hours and it errors out, I was bummed to say the least.

I'm still playing around with it though. So far I have to say it's not playing nice on my end. I'm also concerned about playback quality. I can see where space is a real concern for some people, but for others PQ is more important.

Here is something I found while doing some research, it's from Gromkov's Software

Quote:
Question:

Okay, DivX has greater compression than MPEG2, but how does the quality compare? I have no experience with DivX, but wonder if I'm missing out on something. If the quality is as good as MPEG2, then I'm thinking I need to get educated. I'm not interested in putting videos on CD, nor do I keep movies on my harddrive. Sure, getting 10 hours of video on a DVD would be nice, but only if I don't have to sacrifice quality.

Answer:

Sometimes, Mpeg-4 (Divx/Xvid) doesn't compare to mpeg-2. The major difference between the two is crispness. Mpeg-4 has more of a smooth, almost platic-y look. The very best Divx/Xvid encodes still don't compare to their DVD counterparts. They can come close though, and coupled with the fact they're a lot smaller than DVD's in terms of size, you're willing to live with the quality loss.

Why DivX video distributed in Internet has worse quality than DVD? The answer is very simple. DVD format (actually MPEG-2) has many distortions usually ignored by human eye. During re-compression process (DVD to DivX) DivX codec uses already distorted video signal. As a result of this fact, DivX introduces additional distortion to the original (already distorted) movie. That's why psycho-visual enhancements are visible as annoying divx video artifacts. We could say more about power of DivX codec while comparing 2 movies encoded from really original source. For example TV to DVD, and TV to DivX. But now, many movies available in Internet were ripped from DVD. So these divx movies were compressed 2 times with 2 steps of quality loss: with MPEG-2, and then with MPEG-4.

Another reason why mpeg-4 is so popular is that there are a lot of people that use only divx for watching popular movies and I don't think they can really tell the difference between DVD and DivX. To each their own.
What looks good playing on a computer monitor in a window doesn't always look good on a 55" TV and rarely looks acceptable when blown up to 106". Still if I can get the same quality as my DVDs at a smaller file size, I'm game. I am concerned with the statement, "The very best Divx/Xvid encodes still don't compare to their DVD counterparts." and I have heard others say it's 'close' or called it acceptable.

EQDruid, with 3500 DVDs you want to put on your media system, I can see why space is a concern. Using the .vob rename method, you'd need 14TB of storage, and that's not very realistic even with the drop in drive prices. Time wise the rename method (or as Alienware pointed out, the PS3 now plays .vobs, but you'll still want to name the file to something you can recognize) will take you around 10 minutes per disc or 24.3 days straight to move everything to the media system.

I was hoping for some actual DivX files to use and go on, but right now it's not working. Let's go with a conservative estimate on filesize and use 1GB. This value will most likely change but for now we'll use it since people say you can get a DVD this size. That will drop the storage required down to 3.5TB which is much better but still up there.

Also keep in mind since this is such a huge project it's not something you'll want to have to do all over if you have a drive failure, so you might want to consider a Raid setup, or at least some type of archived backup for restoring the drives. Either way you're talking more storage space.

Timewise to convert 3500 DVDs to DivX, based on the 4 hour conversion time I saw (if there is a better and faster way someone knows, let us know) we're talking 583 days, or a year and a half to move all 3500 to your media system. Bob1029 reported earlier in this thread he used and likes a program called handbrake and the conversion time was around half the movie run time, but this isn't DivX and he wasn't able to confirm if the mp4 files play on the PS3.

I am also very interested in saving storage space, but for me personally, I don't want to sacrifice PQ. Don't get me wrong, I want this to work so I can enjoy more content on the same size drive but quality and setup speed are more important to me right now. This is one where everyone will have to make their own decision as to what is more of a priority to them.

I'm not giving up, but man... seeing it took me an hour or so to do an entire season of 24, the PQ is going to have to blow my socks off to want to spend time waiting on conversions.

So far I have my USB drive setup as a 'spy' genre drive. It has 22 Bond flicks, that includes Never Say Never, and six bonus discs, season 1 of 24, all three Bourne movies, Enemy of the State, True Lies, xXx, Remo Williams, and all three MI movies and I still have 150GB free on my 320GB drive. That's not too shabby and it retains the Dolby Digital 5.1 sound track. However if I could reduce the file size and retain the same quality, I'm definitely signed up!

post #45 of 411 Old 01-06-08, 05:13 PM
snyder62
Inactive

i am a new member on here and let me start by saying hello to everybody

and now onto my question, i was looking around the internet for a way to put high quality movies on my ps3 so i downloaded ps3 video 9 since i used psp video 9 for my psp and it worked beautifally but ps3 video 9 was all pixelated on every option i chose so i found this thread and i followed all the above steps and it worked perfect on one movies i had, but i tried doing another one, which was 4.somethin gigs, then i compressed it as far as it would go and it stilll came out to around 2.6 gigs, so i chose to split the vob's like you said not to and it worked good but only the first part had sound, the other 2 parts did'nt have any, the ps3 even said it did'nt have any sound, i split the files because i only have a 2 gig memory stick, so is there any help for me to get this movie on my ps3's HDD?

can i put the full file (after your steps) on a dvd and copy them onto the ps3?

thanks for all the help
post #46 of 411 Old 01-07-08, 09:28 PM
Shackster

ALIENWARE

DivX and wmv or wmv-hd have to be 2gig or less to be played on ps3,but mpeg files can be any size,also the ps3 now plays .vob files so you dont have to reneame to mpeg,just rip the movie you have in a single vob file with dvd shrink or dvd decrypter,ripit with 1 audio track,no subtitles,and the ps3 will play.Agood trick I use is rip the movie with dvdshrink and compress the movie to have 4g or less,some times I compress the movie in a 75% of video compression and still look great
post #47 of 411 Old 01-07-08, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
ALIENWARE wrote: View Post
Agood trick I use is rip the movie with dvdshrink and compress the movie to have 4g or less,some times I compress the movie in a 75% of video compression and still look great
GMTA

Now if Sony only adds a video playlist and subfolder support...

post #48 of 411 Old 01-08-08, 12:52 PM
Senior Shackster

jack

Hey Guys, this topic interests me so I thought I'd subscribe...

- Jack
post #49 of 411 Old 01-08-08, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Hey jack

Still playing/testing DivX here, but I've scrapped using the trial download from DivX.com. It errors out everytime. Probably because I'm trying to do a VOB file or a mpeg2 that's a renamed VOB file. I have no plans on converting to another format just to be able to convert to DivX. I'll do some looking around for other DivX programs and check them out before I personally say it's not something I'd want to do/use.

post #50 of 411 Old 01-08-08, 01:35 PM
Senior Shackster

jack

Ok Guys, I just finished skimming this thread from start to finish.

A few things I can add:

Alternate DVD ripping program -

It's a program called DVDFAB - you can find it at http://www.dvdfab.com

in short, DVDFab is a decent 1 click solution for going from DVD's to other formats.
They seem to update the product regularly.

Some things DVDfab can do...
- Copy a DVD to your hard drive as an ISO or a folder of files
- Copy a DVD to a blank DVD
- Copy a DVD to 2 blank DVD's
- Copy a DVD to formats like divx, mpeg4, h264 etc.

Also - for those with windows media center machines - microsoft has a dvd library feature thats disabled by default - a simple registry change enables it.

the MCE dvd library works with files copied to the HD from dvd shrink or dvd fab - the nice thing here is you have the original dvd - full quality - all sound options - full menus etc...

- Jack

- Jack