PS3 Video Server, Media Server Preliminary Setup and Tests - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 411 Old 01-08-08, 01:43 PM
Senior Shackster

jack

Re: PS3 Video Server, Media Server Preliminary Setup and Tests

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
Hey jack

Still playing/testing DivX here, but I've scrapped using the trial download from DivX.com. It errors out everytime. Probably because I'm trying to do a VOB file or a mpeg2 that's a renamed VOB file. I have no plans on converting to another format just to be able to convert to DivX. I'll do some looking around for other DivX programs and check them out before I personally say it's not something I'd want to do/use.
Bill -

I am with you 100% - I really have no desire to encode to one format then to another.

I downloaded the demo also - but I could not get it to covert from a DVD - it said I needed a $10 Mpeg2 add on for that. I could not find a demo of the add on.

DVDFab is an all in one that claims divx support - but technically I think it's xvid and I'm not sure of the differences.

- Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 411 Old 01-09-08, 05:43 PM
snyder62
Inactive

i compressed the video as far as it would compress on dvd shrink, but it still comes out over 2 gigs i just need a file splitting program to split the file into 2 separate chunks, i only have a 2 gig mem stick
post #53 of 411 Old 01-09-08, 11:13 PM
Senior Shackster

jack

Guys, I've made some progress on the 360, but I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll open a new one...

- Jack

post #54 of 411 Old 01-11-08, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Great thread Jack and it's good to see the 360 get some representation as a media system.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #55 of 411 Old 01-11-08, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Preliminary test with DVDFab..

It works so far. I was able to do a 'generic' rip/conversion and it created a 1GB xvid file on my hard drive. I played it it worked and looked okay, but I did see some artifacting but overall it is much better than anything I have used so far for DivX.

Conversion time took around 2 hours, but I did the high quality two pass option. There are options to convert to PS3 or XBox, but the PS3 conversion took almost four hours to do and the file size is the same as the Xvid. Honestly, there is no need to do a 'custom' PS3 profile since it will play most video files that a DVD player will play.

I'll be checking some test files out on my 55" set this weekend, and to me that's the real test. Sometimes things can look pretty good on a smaller computer monitor but when blown up in size is when all the flaws show up.

So far though, this is looking very promising for those that don't mind a slight drop in PQ in favor of saving storage space.

I did have a problem with a couple of movies I have, but it also could be something with the trial version. Right now I give it a thumbs up and thanks jack for pointing this one out!

post #56 of 411 Old 01-11-08, 06:24 PM
Senior Shackster

jack

Hey Bill -

As I have time, I'm playing with different options for encoding -
I got the divx trial to work with DVD vob files, unfortunately the converter is really, really basic - so I don't know how useable it will be long term, but I plan to do some comparisons of picture quality between the Divx pro codec, and what is included with DVD fab.
I've also tried some alterante settings in fab (Mostly higer bitrates so far) - from what I've seen, there is more quality available over the defaults.

- Jack
post #57 of 411 Old 01-11-08, 06:25 PM
Senior Shackster

jack

Bill, one more thought - after we both finish our reseach we should figure out if there is one file type that works universally well with both systems.

- Jack
post #58 of 411 Old 01-11-08, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Sounds good.

Xvid works, but isn't DVD quality and I see a very minor audio sync problem. It's not bad and most may not even notice it, but it is there.

I'd say it's okay if someone really needs to save space, but so far I haven't seen anything that's DVD quality aside from just using the DVD vob itself.

I think this is great that we're getting a full evaluation of the various compressions and codecs and how they preform. The more we can test the better people can decide.

post #59 of 411 Old 01-14-08, 08:52 PM
Shackster

ALIENWARE

Well,you just have to tweak the settings of the DivX converter,and you will get DVD quality,I know I have,and I have a HDTv.Also,Divx have released the new version that now have support for 720p and 1080p in the converter,I did a test with TRANSFORMERS MOVIE,a clip of 2min,and the 1080p conversion convert the movie in the exact quality of the dvd,but when I was to convert the entire movie,the size was more of 2 gig,and the PS3 dosnt support divx movies that have more of 2G,that was bad for me.Still,Divx converter is ,for me, the best video converter I tested

Last edited by ALIENWARE; 01-14-08 at 08:55 PM. Reason: some errorsin text,sorry Im spanish
post #60 of 411 Old 01-16-08, 12:35 PM
Shackster
Charles

Well I have been Ripping away my Collection of DVD's.... Noticed a few Problems.

1) Some Movies don't sync with the audio, I'm using the DVDShrink and just Renaming the VOB file, and placing that on my extrenal Hard drive.

2) getting a flash from 5.1 to 2 audio channel sound, tho I think thats my fault =p, will have to redo thoose movies

What program do you sudjest to play beack the Video .Vob files on your computer, so that I don't have to keep running up and down the stairs and plug in the HD to the Playstation to make sure everything is working correctly?

EQDruid