PS3 Video Server, Media Server Preliminary Setup and Tests - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 411 Old 01-16-08, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Re: PS3 Video Server, Media Server Preliminary Setup and Tests

I haven't run into this problem. I did at first have a problem not getting any audio but after going into the settings I was able to get audio working.

I always just select the 5.1 audio and no commentary or secondary audio tracks.

I check the files on my computer using Power DVD and skim through the movie to make sure it works and is in sync.

Other than that, how's the rest of it going and for the movies that work how is the PQ to you?

Basementjack is doing a lot of testing with DivX and other codecs and checking various settings and checking picture quality.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 411 Old 01-16-08, 01:37 PM
Shackster
Charles

Loving it so far..

I am reformatting the exteranal HD with the slow process so that it might fix any issues ( I hope) and redoing the the movies I converted with more then 1 audio track.

Thank god for my PC.. ( 4.2 GTHZ with 8 Gig Ram Quad Core ) Movies take about 10 mins to rip each keeping each movie under 4 gig.

did you partion your exteranl HD? or left it in tact? Thinking I might of slowed it down tring to add multi movies at the same time instead of 1 at a time.

EQDruid
post #63 of 411 Old 01-16-08, 08:06 PM
Shackster
Charles

Well I am about to give up...

Some movies play all right, and some just keep out on me.

On the PC, their is sound, then no sound on the PS3,

Sound but not in synch with the Video, and then there is a Huge delay with even the PS3 even opening the file.

With over 3500 DVD's I can't be having to recheck every DVD untill I show it off and look like a fool. =/

Open to some Idea's. Been following everything.

EQDruid

post #64 of 411 Old 01-16-08, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

We'll figure this out, and it is important we do.

Okay let's start with some basics and let me see if I can duplicate it... I have around 1500 SDVDs now, nowhere near what you have, but maybe we have some of the same titles you're having trouble with.

First what model PS3 do you have and what firmware level?

I have a 60GB first gen PS3 with FW 2.01 and an external USB 320GB Western Digital My Book. So far I have only had a problem with one bonus feature Bond disc, one that Best Buy was giving away in one of their promo's...

Next, you mentioned reformatting one of your drives I believe? How did you reformat it? The PS3 only reads FAT32 and Windows does some strange things when formating FAT32, especially on these drives. Is the problem on just one drive or across multiple drives?

Don't give up. From what I have seen and experienced so far is any time you convert from the original file format there is a performance hit of some kind... it's inevitable, you're making a change and as good and powerful as our PC's can be, we don't have studio gear so there will be a hit. Sometimes it's so minor nobody will notice, sometimes it's major.

Compression... always some PQ hit with compression, and add compression and conversion and it tends to compound things sometimes. That's one reason why I like to stick with the original file format. Also, with 2.1 (maybe 2.01 as well) you can use the .vob extension and won't even have to rename it to .mpeg. Might want to give that a try too.

Last thing, what version level of Shrink do you have? I have 3.2.0.15

If you continue to have problems with Shrink, try DVDFab. It can also convert to XVid and even has a 'PS3' mode. Worth a try and we will get you rolling don't worry.

Send me a list of some of the titles you're having trouble with and I'll see if I have the same problem. It could be the title too, but like I said, we'll figure this out don't worry or give up.

post #65 of 411 Old 01-17-08, 02:17 AM
Shackster

ALIENWARE

does anyone knows if PS3 plays .mkv files,think I have to test that,is very popular and TRUE HD QUALITY,I will post soon my homework results.

Last edited by ALIENWARE; 01-17-08 at 02:18 AM. Reason: error again,im spanish,sorry
post #66 of 411 Old 01-17-08, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Honestly, I never played around with .mkv so I can't answer that but maybe someone else can.

post #67 of 411 Old 01-17-08, 03:58 AM
Shackster
Charles

I have shrink 3.2 with the 60 gig model ps3, latest firmware. I bought 4 Seagate freeagent 500 gig drives. Formatted Using Swissknife to fat32.

Might just use DVD fab and see if that is the problem. Having problems with the Movies The Prestige and Super Troopers and a few others but thats a start.

Thanks for looking into this... and sorry for sounding alittle cranky, wife and I both have the flu atm.

EQDruid
post #68 of 411 Old 01-17-08, 04:21 AM
Shackster
Charles

Tring DVDfab Plat now to convert using the PS3 settings. Takes 4 times as long, but if thats the case, I guess this is going to take alot longer then I was hoping. But such is the ways. Hope this turns out ok for the time invested.

EQDruid
post #69 of 411 Old 01-18-08, 08:45 PM
Shackster

ALIENWARE

Have anyone notice the new nice visual player when you play music on PS3,you have to be on he latest firmware,play any mp3,and press scuare 2 times,you get an VERY,VERY NICE EARTH VIEW visual player.This is great for anyone that have a HDTV,I notice this today.
Sorry if you all know this,but I didn't,all this time I was testing diferent video files,specialy DivX,speaking of that,I will report soon my results on video files and quality.
And sorry for the change of avatar,but aparently,this site don't want that avatar cus is an ALIENWARE WALLPAPER,yea I don't get it,but I dont make the rules of this site,anyway,be sure to chek the music visual player with a nice relaxing music you have.

Last edited by ALIENWARE; 01-18-08 at 08:48 PM. Reason: error on text
post #70 of 411 Old 01-19-08, 12:57 PM
Shackster
Charles

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. Tho I personally Like to play Blast factor with Chemical brothers Playing in the background....

Found a trick with getting the PS3 to play the Video's in sync, Just let the Exteral hard drive warm up alittle bit... Seems it takes a few minutes for the HD to sync with the PS3..

Don't know if its the PS3's fault or the HD. Just noticed with 50 movies on thier so far that it takes a few minutes for all the movies to display. So if i start a movies and it sits there, i give it a few minutes then I try and restart it, works perfectly....

EQdruid