PS3 Video Server, Media Server Preliminary Setup and Tests - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 411 Old 01-21-08, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Re: PS3 Video Server, Media Server Preliminary Setup and Tests

That's good news EQdruid. Sorry about not getting back to you, I got tied up with some other projects too.

The Prestige worked fine for me, so I was going to say I wasn't sure what the problem might be.

Question, what brand of external drive are you using?

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 411 Old 01-22-08, 01:15 PM
Shackster
Charles

Seagate

Just it takes awhile for the ps3 to see all the videos on the exteral Hard drive
post #73 of 411 Old 01-22-08, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Interesting.

I can say that the My Book powers up and down with the PS3 and by the time the PS3 is ready the drive is ready. However... I only have the drive half filled. I might run into the same problem when it gets closer to being full.

I'll keep an eye out for that.

post #74 of 411 Old 01-22-08, 09:16 PM
browndog
Inactive

WOW, just read most all of this and I have to say it's very interesting. I just got a 40 gig PS3 and want to use it to run my photos, videos and music. This is very good info and good news.

Are most of you just hooking a drive to the PS3 then run all your music, music from there? Or, are you using a seperate PC as a media server and running off the PC? Seems like the hard drive to PS3 is the best bet.

Looking forward to trying this out. All videos need to go in a VIDEO folder right? What about music? Pictures? Not sure I read that anywhere.

JUst got a High Def video camera as well (canon HV20) Now I have to figure how to transfer those on the PS3 or play thru the PS3. This might be my answer to my new Ent. system. AWESOME

Joe
post #75 of 411 Old 01-22-08, 09:29 PM
Shackster

ALIENWARE

Welcome to this forum,browndog.
To answer your question about where to put your media files on your external drive,put them the same way you put them on a memorystick,create a VIDEO,PHOTO,MUSIC folders and the PS3 will play them,but you can also put the files anyware on the drive,but you have to select DISPLAY ALL on PS3 (EXAMPLE-PUT MP3 ON VIDEO FOLDER,SELECT DISPLAY ALL ON PS3 WILE ON MUSIC SECTION AND SELECT THE VIDEO FOLDER,ANY MP3 ON THAT FOLDER WILL BE DISPLAYED ON THE PS3)
post #76 of 411 Old 01-22-08, 09:33 PM
browndog
Inactive

Sounds easy enough. Man, that really is good news. I don't suppose I can rip my cd's on the PS3 and have them go to the external hard drive...I'm sure wishful thinking. Never been big in the music part. Not sure how to get my CD's to the hard drive.

Man, I won't be able to sleep tonight with all this great info

Joe
post #77 of 411 Old 01-22-08, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
browndog wrote: View Post
WOW, just read most all of this and I have to say it's very interesting. I just got a 40 gig PS3 and want to use it to run my photos, videos and music. This is very good info and good news.

Are most of you just hoocking a drive to the PS3 then run all your music, music from there? Or, are you using a seperate PC as a media server and running off the PC? Seems like the hard drive to PS3 is the best bet.

Looking forward to trying this out. All videos need to go in a VIDEO folder right? What about music? Pictures? Not sure I read that anywhere.

JUst got a High Def video camera as well (canon HV20) Now I have to figure how to transfer those on the PS3 or play thru the PS3. This might be my answer to my new Ent. system. AWESOME

Joe
Another welcome to the Shack!

I have our CDs and photos on the internal drive and movie's on the external drive.

post #78 of 411 Old 01-22-08, 10:51 PM
Shackster

ALIENWARE

Quote:
browndog wrote: View Post
Sounds easy enough. Man, that really is good news. I don't suppose I can rip my cd's on the PS3 and have them go to the external hard drive...I'm sure wishful thinking. Never been big in the music part. Not sure how to get my CD's to the hard drive.

Joe
Yes you can,just select the music you want to copy,hit triangle and select copy,from there you just copy the music werever you want
post #79 of 411 Old 01-23-08, 06:27 AM
browndog
Inactive

So I guess I did sleep. Look forward to trying all this stuff today. Seems renaming the Vob files is still the best bet. I'm not too worried about space. I have several TB available to me.

My wife is going to be thrilled.
post #80 of 411 Old 01-23-08, 10:14 AM
browndog
Inactive

I must be doing something wrong. I hooked an external drive to the PS3 and then put an audio CD in the PS3. asked it to mport and it went to the PS3 drive and not the external drive. I could not seem to find an option to get the CD to import to the external drive.

Am I missing something?