PS3 Video Server, Media Server Preliminary Setup and Tests - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 411 Old 01-23-08, 12:54 PM
browndog
Inactive

Re: PS3 Video Server, Media Server Preliminary Setup and Tests

Yet another question. I have added photos to the external drive via my PC then hooked the external to the PS3..Videos work great...Music works great but photos says no files. If I hit the triangle and do all files, then navigate to the photo directory..Then I can view them. Wierd!

What are you folks using to rip your music? And, to see the cover art on the album on the PS3?

Don't suppose there is a way to link cover art for movie DVD's as well??

Man, this is fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 411 Old 01-23-08, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Don't quote me on this, but I think that Photos under the PHOTO menu looks at the internal drive and when you go to the external drive you have to select view all.

I've never tried ripping a CD from the PS3 to the external drive, just the internal. I believe there is a move option though.

With the latest firmware update you don't even have to rename the VOB from .vob to .mpeg but you should still change the file name so you know what it is

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #83 of 411 Old 01-23-08, 03:11 PM
browndog
Inactive

So rename but leave the .vob extension? I'll try it. I think the photo issue was the directory needs to be PICTURE and not PHOTO. We will see in a bit

post #84 of 411 Old 01-24-08, 12:03 PM
Square
Inactive

Has anybody bought DVDfab? I'm curious to find out if this would be a good software solution to backup my DVDs (few hundred, but not as many as some of you) to both disc and rip them to my PC (I like to stream to the PS3). I'll try to get to the downloaded free trial, but they show a $30 discount on the platinum edition. Unforunately, it expires today and I just found this thread. Any ideas?
post #85 of 411 Old 01-24-08, 06:09 PM
browndog
Inactive

I've tried the trial and I like it. I have not decided if I want to pay for it

This PS3 is addicting
post #86 of 411 Old 01-24-08, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

I've tried it as well. It has more features than DVDShrink and isn't bad.

DVDFab also converts to serveral different formats which is nice.

Basementjack is doing a lot of testing but I got tied up with some screen projects.

I really like the PS3 as an entertainment center and not just a game console.

Square... that $30 discount has been up there for weeks now saying 'expires today'

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #87 of 411 Old 01-27-08, 01:28 PM
Senior Shackster

jack

I purchased DVDfab after playing with the trial. I think it always says there is a discount that expires today - I paid $50 for mine.

Fab seems to do a good job for me, and it's a very easy solution.

- Jack
post #88 of 411 Old 02-04-08, 07:16 AM
stevo999
Inactive

Hello!

After reading this thread, I picked up a 1Tb My Book at the weekend, and so far its working perfectly. I've been using DVD shrink which seems pretty good to me also.

Just going to take a while to churn through all those DVDs!

Stevo.
post #89 of 411 Old 02-12-08, 01:27 AM
Shackster
Charles

I got one of my 500 gig seagates 1/2 full with 4 gig movies, and it takes like a good 5 mins for all the movies to load up with icons... Anyone else having this issue?

I used swiss knife to format it to fat32.

I am guessing it has to do with the Ram inside the PS3.

When i use XP to open the folders things pop open almost instantly... ( 8 gig ram ) only 3 gig ram XP see's and use's.

EQDruid
post #90 of 411 Old 02-15-08, 09:09 AM

dirt

Hi Everyone.. new to the board..

I myself have been trying to find a way to get my DVD collection backed up on HD that I can play on the PS3.

After reading the guide in this thread I decided to give it a try last night. So I formatted an external in Fat32, and used DVD shrink on a few dvds. Just used the movie file and the VOB came out to less than 4GB. I did 3 videos at first.. I wanted to try streaming from the PC before connecting the HD to the PS3 itself. So I created a folder called VIDEO at the root of the HD, and placed a renamed vob file that I changed to an mpeg. I shared the media in WMP11, and was able to open it up on the PS3. I was impressed. Picture quality was great, sound was great, no skipping.. the only problem was that I couldnt fast forward or it would freeze.. And this was over a wireless network, so I figured that that was probably the reason.. My thought was to use a wired connection once I figured out that streaming would work.

So I tried another movie, and this time I plugged the drive directly into the PS3. This time I could fast-forward, video quality was great, but the sound started out, about 15 minutes into the movie. It just quit. It was almost like my receiver was trying to cycle throught and find the right sound format. cause it just kept clicking back and forth. Now, I'm using an optical audio connection from the PS3 to an Onkyo reciever. Never had any issues with sound playing physical DVDs or games..

I checked the sound settings on the PS3 and though I'm not real sure what it should be set to, I cycled through all of the different settings, testing each one.. Nothing would work.

Tried 3 more movies and have the exact same problem. I'm just not sure what to try next. I think I'm going to try leaving the file extension VOB and see if that does anything..

I plan on building an esata tower on my network to store all of these, and just streaming to the PS3 if I can figure out the best way to rip them. I haven't tested DVDfab yet, so I may have to try that too..

Anything else that I should try..

Thanks for the great board!