HTPC Recomendations - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 36 Old 03-25-14, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

[QUOTE="wasser;691829"]I prefer the Android app Yatse to control my Xbian Xbmc from my phone and my tablet, but using an actual remote with Flirc is, admittedly, more intuitive.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...atsewidgetfree[/QUOTE

The app looks great, I may use it in conjunction with flirc if that's possible, since there will be other people in the house that would need a traditional remote.

What would be my best option for xbmc for this unit? OpenElec, windows, or linux? Doubt I will use it for much, if anything other than streaming xbmc. This unit will be in the theater room, so really the only use for it will to be to run xbmc as well as it is able.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 03-25-14, 06:48 PM
Shackster

Re: HTPC Recomendations

There are no issues using both Flirc and Yatse to control XBMC.

As for which XBMC to use, that's really up to you. The differences are ultimately not really big. Basically, it's just Windows vs Linux. If you're familiar and comfortable with linux, then go for it. I don't think you'd have to use any lightweight options like OpenElec or Xbian as I'd imagine your NUC has plenty of power. Otherwise, just go with the Windows build and be happy. And, as a bonus, you'll be able to use it in ways besides just XBMC.
post #33 of 36 Old 03-25-14, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
wasser wrote: View Post
There are no issues using both Flirc and Yatse to control XBMC.

As for which XBMC to use, that's really up to you. The differences are ultimately not really big. Basically, it's just Windows vs Linux. If you're familiar and comfortable with linux, then go for it. I don't think you'd have to use any lightweight options like OpenElec or Xbian as I'd imagine your NUC has plenty of power. Otherwise, just go with the Windows build and be happy. And, as a bonus, you'll be able to use it in ways besides just XBMC.
Thanks for the help, I have an extra remote laying around that I really like the layout of, so I will probably try flirc with it, and run Yaste on my phone. Then decide from there.

As far as which version of xbmc to run, I am fine with windows since it came with a copy of it. I like linux, from my limited experience with it, but if this unit will run either on xbmc fine, I would probably stick with windows to make it easier for anyone else in the house to use.

Thanks again for the help

post #34 of 36 Old 03-28-14, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

The NUC is here and thus far this thing is nothing short of amazing. Compared to what I upgraded from at least.

The windows 7 that came with it is on DVD, I don't have an external DVD drive and its impossible to find a windows 7 image online to transfer to usb. So for now I'm just running openelec on it, openelec seems to be a great choice for running xbmc smoothly. Streaming 1080p and DD 5.1 files, is using less than 10% per core of the processor. I'm amazed.

For input devices I bought a Logitech k400 keyboard/mousepad, and am using Yaste on my phone. I may still get flirc, to have a normal remote associated with it to make it easier for other people in the house to use.

Thanks for the help guys, so far I am extremely happy with it.
post #35 of 36 Old 03-28-14, 01:18 PM
Shackster

Re: HTPC Recomendations

Glad it's working out for you.

If you still want to use Windows 7, then you can use WinToFlash to transfer your copy to a USB flash drive.
post #36 of 36 Old 03-28-14, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
wasser wrote: View Post
Glad it's working out for you.

If you still want to use Windows 7, then you can use WinToFlash to transfer your copy to a USB flash drive.
Thanks again. I am hesitant about even installing windows now because this thing is performing so well with just open elec. I will probably give it a try though, if I don't like how windows performs with xbmc I guess I could dual boot and just use openelec for xbmc. I don't have another dedicated pc in the house though so I should probably give linux or windows a try.