SDX15 Mk II - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 343 Old 11-12-10, 04:39 PM
Senior Shackster
Adam

Re: SDX15 Mk II

Quote:
tecknurd wrote: View Post
It will be nice to have zero inductance, but that can not happen yet.

A fair price is about the cost of a Exodus Tempest X2 or a few US dollars than that.

One thing that will be nice is the efficiency be at least 88 dB. Sure you stated that the SDX15 Mark II can handle 2000 watts, but that does not mean anything to me. A lot of high Xmax woofers from your competitors have low efficiency. Your TRIO12, TRIO8, and SDX10 have an efficiency of 85 dB which is low efficiency. I am willing to spend the money on efficiency compared to spending the money on a marketing tactic that bases on wattage handling.

Another thing that will be nice is a dual 4 ohm voice coil version to provide more choices for hook up. A dual 2 ohm voice coil version is OK, but has the fewest choices for hook up. A dual 4 ohm version can be hooked up in series to provide an 8 ohm to benefit to hooking up two for an amplifier that is 4 ohm stable or up to four for a amplifier that is 2 ohm stable.

First off, i'd like to say that the power handling isn't a marketing ploy, its moving up one of the very few limitations of the old driver. Secondly i'd like to say that the SDX 15 Mk II is aimed at home theater, which is why you see the voice coil configs that you do. And Last, I'm curious as to if you've seen anything with similar xmax in the 15" category that has a sensitivity higher than the SDX 15.

For what its worth, I think if Bob can keep that same amount of Sensitivity with the higher xmax, we will all be happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 343 Old 11-12-10, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
CSS Owner
Bob

Quote:
tecknurd wrote: View Post
It will be nice to have zero inductance, but that can not happen yet.

A fair price is about the cost of a Exodus Tempest X2 or a few US dollars than that.

One thing that will be nice is the efficiency be at least 88 dB. Sure you stated that the SDX15 Mark II can handle 2000 watts, but that does not mean anything to me. A lot of high Xmax woofers from your competitors have low efficiency. Your TRIO12, TRIO8, and SDX10 have an efficiency of 85 dB which is low efficiency. I am willing to spend the money on efficiency compared to spending the money on a marketing tactic that bases on wattage handling.

Another thing that will be nice is a dual 4 ohm voice coil version to provide more choices for hook up. A dual 2 ohm voice coil version is OK, but has the fewest choices for hook up. A dual 4 ohm version can be hooked up in series to provide an 8 ohm to benefit to hooking up two for an amplifier that is 4 ohm stable or up to four for a amplifier that is 2 ohm stable.
Hi,

I don't think I stated 2000 watts but we're shooting for at least 1500. The driver will sell for more than the Tempest X2. You have to make decisions/tradeoffs about excursion and efficiency and unfortunately we can't have everything (something about the laws of physics). Amplifier power is relatively cheap so high efficiency was not a priority. A future production run might have more voice coil options but this is where we are right now.

Thanks for the input.

Bob
post #23 of 343 Old 11-13-10, 06:19 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

This is going to be some serious driver. How will this compare to say the Q15, AE15 etc..

Is this likely to fair better with ported or sealed alignments and is there going to be any options for tweaking for different applications. Just a thought.

cheers

Graham

post #24 of 343 Old 11-14-10, 04:32 AM
Elite Shackster

Well, it should offer more performance than the AE and with working within its limits more should give a very clean sound. Its all dependant on the test results though. The Q drivers are pretty good too, but a comparison would really be needed to answer that question. Personally I know the Fi's are a little better made than the AE's, and seem a bit of a stronger driver, so it will be interesting to see ow this driver stacks up.
post #25 of 343 Old 11-14-10, 04:55 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Dan,

Thats one of the many reasons why I chose FI's and am very interested to see the comparison between the Q15's and the new SDX driver. The Q15 has a more excursion capabilities than the AE15's and can handle alot more power. The AE15 drivers are great drivers but not really in the same league as the FI's but then they do cost more. Its a balance game.

cheers

Graham
post #26 of 343 Old 11-14-10, 05:20 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

It's all about performance/price, once we get the parameters for the new SDX15 MKII we can see how it compares to the others. With a proposed higher Xmax and power handling I'm curious how it will compare to a TC Sounds LMS-R 15.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #27 of 343 Old 11-14-10, 05:23 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Good call Mike! Defo on that one.
post #28 of 343 Old 11-14-10, 08:36 PM
Senior Shackster
Adam

It definitely seems like this will be a driver in the same category of the LMS-R
post #29 of 343 Old 11-18-10, 11:01 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

The comparison to the LMS-R is close except that it uses a 4" VC and higher x-max. If it can go as low as the LMS-R while providing better mid-bass in the same price range then it's a definite buy.
post #30 of 343 Old 11-18-10, 10:24 PM
Senior Shackster
Marce

On paper, this sounds like an excellent sub, it should be quite a bit better than the older model, specially in the low end. I use to own the old version and while it was a good sub for the price, I preferred the AE AV15X driver that I bought and sold the CCS SDX driver. The AV15X had better mid-bass and was very close in the low bass to the old SDX driver.

If this driver comes in in the $300-$350 price range and performs as good or better in the mid-bass than the old driver, it should sell well. With the extra xmax and bigger motor, it should beat the old model quite easily in the low end, specially with a big amp of 1,500+ watts. The LMS-R looks like it will have stiff competition with this sub, specially in the low bass. Let's see how the specs/tests come out.