Dual SDX10 Tapped Horn - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 144 Old 06-14-11, 10:32 AM
Senior Shackster
hgoed

Re: Dual SDX10 Tapped Horn

Looks great! I'm glad I watched and waited as I have a better idea of what's involved. I did get a MiniDSP, so maybe I'll try a low and steep crossover as you suggested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 144 Old 06-14-11, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Good plan. I should mention that the B-2 I'm using only has a 24dB/octave highpass. 48dB should do wonders for this design.

15Hz is no problem for the design. 14Hz and below is when it starts to go crazy. Around 13 is where I was clanking coils @ reference.
post #93 of 144 Old 06-14-11, 07:19 PM
Senior Shackster
hgoed

Even to me this seems like something I should just work out myself, but I thought I'd ask anyway...

I'm visualizing the build process with your pics and I'm wondering when you decided to bring the project inside? I'm guessing you cut everything outside and assembled on-site...or do I have to buy more Advil?

post #94 of 144 Old 06-14-11, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Cut everything outside, built it inside. Easier to get it down the stairs myself if I do it in pieces

Had to build it inside... took me a few days to get it all done with my schedule. 4 hours for the dry fit, about 3 hours for PL on the lower section, another 3-4 hours to finish things off.

I probably could have done all the gluing in one day, but I didn't have the time for that.
post #95 of 144 Old 06-18-11, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

One week on, and both tapped horns are nicely dialed in. On Wednesday, I hit them hard (so I thought) with Unstoppable. Saw levels of 118dB sustained at listening position, no driver got even close to Xmax. Not only were my pants legs moving, so was my hair.

Repeated the experiment this evening with the first Lord of the Rings movie, extended edition. Got pounded on by the horns the whole time. Again, 118dB sustained on a frequent basis. No clip lights on the amp, no drivers in trouble.

Will be watching the Two Towers tomorrow, and Return of the King on Monday. That last one will probably see me bump up the LFE some more. I've never experienced these movies on a decent system, and I aim to have fun with it

At any rate, I have no regrets about building a second tapped horn. The amount of headroom I have now is insane
post #96 of 144 Old 06-20-11, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

New video. Two horns are better than one

post #97 of 144 Old 06-25-11, 09:03 PM
Senior Shackster
hgoed

I could actually feel your system through mine over YouTube!!
I can't do two horns so I may never experience the same, but the energy was exciting none the less.

Someone else posted that their bass system actually caused ripples in their screen. Did you notice that? Their claim seemed like it would require quite a bit of air movement (beyond reasonable sound) to me, but if your system didn't cause a problem, I'm pretty sure I'll be OK.
post #98 of 144 Old 06-25-11, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

No screen ripples - the mouths of the horns are firing into the corner, and nowhere near the screen. It takes a serious amount of SPL to cause problems in this house.
post #99 of 144 Old 06-26-11, 03:59 PM
Shackster
Larry

Good Afternoon,

I never caused my screen to ripple during standard program material; however, I have done so while playing around with ~10Hz sign waves.

6 sealed Mael-X w 2400w/each...

Quote:
hgoed wrote: View Post
I could actually feel your system through mine over YouTube!!
I can't do two horns so I may never experience the same, but the energy was exciting none the less.

Someone else posted that their bass system actually caused ripples in their screen. Did you notice that? Their claim seemed like it would require quite a bit of air movement (beyond reasonable sound) to me, but if your system didn't cause a problem, I'm pretty sure I'll be OK.
post #100 of 144 Old 07-16-11, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

New video... Flight of the Phoenix plane crash this time. Had the LFE running just a wee bit hot - measured 124dB at LP just before the camera started recording. Too bad I didn't catch it doing that on video.

Had to bolt the Tang Band horn (top) to the SDX horn (bottom) after this. It tried to walk right off of there. I also added some chain at the very top so the pair of them won't fall over as a unit.

They will still go louder than this.