Dual SDX10 Tapped Horn - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 144 Old 05-09-11, 11:35 AM
Senior Shackster
hgoed

Re: Dual SDX10 Tapped Horn

By the sealed, I meant just integrating a seperate sealed sub into the same overall structure (I wish I could draw it)--it would require a different folding pattern, leaving dead space which would be used for the second driver/sealed compartment. It would probably be more of a pain than just doing a separate box and folding neatly like you have done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 144 Old 05-09-11, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

I would forget about that idea, honestly, if you want to fire the sealed unit right into the room alongside the TH. Integrating two different types of subwoofers isn't that easy to begin with, and it's even trickier with horns. You'd have issues with time alignment and phase, not to mention the fact that a single sealed SDX 10 will not keep up at all with the same thing in a decently designed tapped horn.

With the sealed box firing into the tapped horn somewhere down the line... that would change things drastically. Not sure how it could be made to work and still sound good. I doubt you can even simulate that situation with Hornresp. Definitely not something I'd suggest experimenting with for a beginner.
post #13 of 144 Old 05-09-11, 12:47 PM
Senior Shackster
hgoed

I'd come to the same conclusion.

What do you use for between 60-100 Hz? Or, am I missing something?

post #14 of 144 Old 05-09-11, 01:36 PM
Elite Shackster

mdrake

Great job on the design!! If you dont mind I might just copy your build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Half of everything I know is wrong. Unfortunately, I don't know which half."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #15 of 144 Old 05-09-11, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Quote:
hgoed wrote: View Post
What do you use for between 60-100 Hz? Or, am I missing something?
Truth be told, even though the simulations say my current tapped horn shouldn't sound good up to 100Hz, it does. I think it has around a 6dB dip at 80Hz, which I barely notice. It covers the whole LFE channel... no other subwoofers needed. I now get the punch in the chest during Star Trek 2009's warp scenes I always missed with my 11Hz IXL 18.2.2 build. I love horns.

I should be pushing almost three octaves of usable bandwidth on the SDX design... that's not easy to do in a tapped horn. EQ is recommended for best performance... I suggest the MiniDSP and a copy of REW for that. Cheapest and probably the best way to do it.

Quote:
mdrake wrote: View Post
Great job on the design!! If you dont mind I might just copy your build.
Go right ahead... I was hoping this one would prove interesting enough for at least a couple other people to try it out
post #16 of 144 Old 05-09-11, 02:27 PM
Senior Shackster
hgoed

Very interested now. I've got a miniDSP on the way anyway. Now, if I figure out how to copy yours, I'll have to also figure out what to do with my other pair of SDX10. Shouldn't be too hard as I seem to have an unlimited supply of speaker envy.
post #17 of 144 Old 05-09-11, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Build two, wire them at 2 ohms, run each off a channel of an EP4000, and see how long it takes the cops to show up

Or just keep the extras on hand in case you clank the coils off the backplates by accident. Really though, that won't be too easy. Hornresp does not factor in a few important things into the excursion plots, like suspension compliance getting stiffer as the cone moves in, or the effects of the compression ratio increasing as it does so. It also doesn't figure on the effects of the changes in BL after Xmax. I fully expect to see 130dB at one meter out of this thing in my room, corner loaded, without the drivers even moving much past Xmax. But I'll want to quit before it gets to that level. Hard enough to get up close to the one I have now, when it's pegging my SPL meter at one meter.

I tried to make it as easy as possible to build. I managed my first one ok with no help, though it was a bit tough at times due to 3/4" plywood not exactly being light for the two biggest panels. The biggest challenge really was making sure I gooped enough PL Premium on to insure there were no leaks.

Soon as I get my wood I'll post the Sketchup file and a drawing with dimensions. That should make copying easier
post #18 of 144 Old 05-09-11, 02:58 PM
Elite Shackster

Jim

Hope it turns out well! I have a new found interest in horns, so I generally try to follow new horn builds...

I wish that I was more adept at folding and optimizing horn designs. It's much more work than it seems at first glance!

post #19 of 144 Old 05-09-11, 02:59 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

When do you think you will be running some REW sweeps. It would be very interesting to see how it looks.

cheers

Graham
post #20 of 144 Old 05-09-11, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

When I get the measurement gear for that. Not sure when that'll be. I can do some in room stuff with my SPL meter, but it won't be anywhere near accurate.