Dual SDX10 Tapped Horn - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 144 Old 05-16-11, 11:07 PM
Senior Shackster
hgoed

Re: Dual SDX10 Tapped Horn

Ok, then I'm confused. Why's the Le set to 3.2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 144 Old 05-16-11, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Probably forgot to set it back to the normal value after I modeled it as such. The difference in the intended passband is mostly negligible. The inductor helps with the peaks a bit above 100Hz, but that's about it.
post #43 of 144 Old 05-16-11, 11:34 PM
Senior Shackster
hgoed

Skipping it. I was actually surprised that you would have had included one, given the graphs (although admittedly a little better) were almost the same.

post #44 of 144 Old 05-17-11, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

More goodies: my cutlist diagram and the Hornresp sim for version 3L.

Attached Files whsdxr3l.txt (418 Bytes) 
post #45 of 144 Old 05-17-11, 10:34 AM
Elite Shackster

Jim

How important is the tolerances on the width of the boards?

Not sure how to accurately cut 51/64ths?

Or was that metric converted to standard?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #46 of 144 Old 05-17-11, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Metric conversion. I use the Cutlist output just to determine where all the cuts go... I do the actual cutting in metric down to the last millimeter.

That way, PL has less open spaces to fill. Also, because those internal panels are 11.8" wide and the plywood is 48," you want the cuts on supply piece 3 to be as accurate as possible. There's no real room for error. Part of the fun I had making the internal width as wide as possible and yet still fitting on three sheets of plywood.
post #47 of 144 Old 05-17-11, 03:00 PM
Senior Shackster
hgoed

I suspect variation in the individual drivers would make more of a sonic difference than a small rounding error in cutting boards. The few boxes I've made, I rounded to the nearest kerf width, and that seemed to serve me fine.

I'd complain about the mm, but I wish my country would switch to metric so I don't have to keep track of things like 51/64ths in my head while I'm working.
post #48 of 144 Old 05-17-11, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Speaking of drivers, I made a point over at my AVS forum thread I should make here as well. As per Hornresp simulations, this design will stay roughly within Xmax up to 300 watts. It'll take 600W or so for the drivers to approach Xmech.

Just wanted to caution people - try not to feed this design more than 500-600W. Add more jiggawatts at your own peril, Doc Brown. Exceeding Xmax a little bit is ok, exceeding Xmech will require new drivers. Hornresp doesn't account for a few things in the excursion graphs, so reality will probably see a fair bit less excursion than the sims show, but better safe than sorry.

Can't get enough SPL with 500W into one of these? Time to build a second one. You're still going to be coming in under a grand, if you go by what I've paid so far. Nothing wrong with headroom

Last edited by Oklahoma Wolf; 05-17-11 at 05:44 PM.
post #49 of 144 Old 05-28-11, 07:48 PM
Senior Shackster
hgoed

Any progress?

I'm gathering materials to try out your design regardless. I really like the efficiency, as low-power is a real concern with my home design. I had to modify things to sell the idea to the boss. For better or worse, I'm going to build the box as a base for a couch. Actually, the dimensions you give are perfect for a daybed, but I was planning to make the box a bit wider and narrower with the same port length, so as to make the overall piece not as obtrusive in my living room and more consistent with a normal couch. As a side benefit, where I place it, the back will be at the point of the first reflection of my front speakers (the width allows capture of all three), so I can kill a few birds with the one design.

I hope you don't see this as a perversion of your work, but if I can make a tapped horn look nice in a modern living room, maybe I could convince some people that quality and crazy don't have to coincide.

Also--I'm still going to use my other two drivers in a sealed box (but separate). If I can't make them integrate properly, I've got lot's of other uses for them. I'm thinking I need a bunch more...

Last edited by hgoed; 05-28-11 at 07:49 PM. Reason: missed a word
post #50 of 144 Old 05-29-11, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

I've made lots of progress watching the rain refuse to stop for two solid weeks. It's gotta be dry out there for me to cut wood. Can't do that in the house, so I'm at the mercy of the elements

Otherwise, once the wood is cut, I'll probably have the whole thing done in a week.

If you want to try a refold, that's up to you. I just made it so it would be easiest for me to build it. The way I have it folded now, it can't get any wider and still come in at less than three plywood sheets, but making it wider would help the response and sensitivity a bit.