Dual SDX10 Tapped Horn - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 144 Old 06-01-11, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Re: Dual SDX10 Tapped Horn

Well, I would have gotten the woodcutting done today, but somebody's circular saw needs that somebody to go out and buy it a new plywood blade. How did I find this out? The hard way, of course.

I got one cut done, and only one - the new saw guide. Used the old two part guide with a perpendicular board for strengthening to make it.

Gee, do you think the blade's warped at all?

Thankfully, this is only the saw guide. I intentionally left scrap in there for when I do the real cut on one of the side panels from this sheet. So, all is not lost on the wood supply side of it yet.

Here's my cutting platform, built from scrap pieces of pressure treated 2x4:

The drill is so powerful it buried the screws halfway to China in there, so I'm not worried about the saw blade hitting them. Will still avoid cutting near where the screws are.

The bad blade. Lasted me through five sheets of this stuff, and five only. Not sure if that's normal, but around here the pickings are slim for saw blades. Will grab a new one tomorrow if I can and get back at this on the weekend. If the weather holds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 144 Old 06-01-11, 02:09 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

As I said on the avsforum, WOW! I finally see wood. I really can't wait to see the results on this.
post #53 of 144 Old 06-01-11, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

You and me both. I thought the house was going to float away with the amount of rain we had in the last two weeks.

post #54 of 144 Old 06-01-11, 02:41 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

What thickness ply are you using just out off interest. Also when do you think you will have it finished?
post #55 of 144 Old 06-01-11, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

18mm - 3/4." C2 grade shop birch, 11 ply void free. I love this stuff... cheap, not too badly warped, looks halfway decent, sturdy, cheap...

Finished? Heaven only knows right now. Hoping for Sunday. That might be a bit optimistic.
post #56 of 144 Old 06-02-11, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

New blade in the house. Also grabbed a few last minute things. Another box of screws just in case 200 isn't enough, the straight brackets that will hold the kludge block to the one panel I can't cut to size (they will be removed before the last panel goes on), and a couple plastic scrapers.

Also grabbed a 1" wood boring bit for the Speakon.

Now, I just need the rain to go away... again...
post #57 of 144 Old 06-02-11, 02:39 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Wicked stuff. There always seems to be things getting in the way of progress.

Don't let it damper your spirits. LOL.
post #58 of 144 Old 06-05-11, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Gasp... Wolfie's getting stuff done. Uh-oh!

Not a cloud in the sky today, so I was out there making sawdust. Unfortunately, I only managed to get two of the three sheets chopped up today. I don't know about you guys, but when I've been out in the sun and I stop sweating, I also stop working in the sun.

Cutting the two biggest panels for this project is hard enough. Doing it when I haven't been able to exercise properly since last June due to knee issues only makes things harder. I need to work on my cardio.

That said, I am pleased to report that 4 of 12 panels are done and they are accurate to +/- 1mm. You know the saying "measure twice, cut once?" I'm a little more OCD than that. I measured 4-5 times for each cut. Took 3 hours that way, but at least I now have panels way more accurate than the last tapped horn had.

Something else I learned - the new "saw guide" is actually less accurate than the two piece metal straightedge. It's bowed 4mm out in the middle. I had to mount a scrap board to it and clamp it down for tension to make it accurate. As a result, I'm going to have to use the two piece on the final sheet. Those cuts have to be as accurate as I can make them, and I don't see any other way to do it. The two piece has one section that's bowed inward by 1mm. That's acceptable, I think. I'll clamp a stiffening board to it, like in the below picture of my new saw guide - should keep it from bowing inward.

One last thing before pictures. The 40 tooth carbide tipped saw blade is the best thing I ever did. Thanks go to lilmike for the suggestion. Way faster than the plywood blade was, and just as clean cutting.

First cut of the day. Much, much better.

One of the big side panels done.

Working on the mouth side. That masking tape was a suggestion by someone to keep the birch layer from chipping. It didn't work. The saw ripped the tape right off the wood. Ah well... I'm not building a work of art, here. I picked this wood because it was cheap, but good quality.

Four pieces done, in their place of final assembly in front of the projector screen. Tomorrow, I hope to be recovered enough to finish off that last panel.

Last edited by Oklahoma Wolf; 06-05-11 at 04:27 PM.
post #59 of 144 Old 06-05-11, 04:19 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Keep the pictures coming!
post #60 of 144 Old 06-05-11, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

I'll do my best. I think I'll put the Fuji J10 aside for the old Nikon 3700 tomorrow though. The Fuji takes terrible pics on auto mode. Glad I didn't pay a lot for it.