Dual SDX10 Tapped Horn - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 144 Old 06-05-11, 04:34 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Re: Dual SDX10 Tapped Horn

Cool, just keep those clouds away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 144 Old 06-06-11, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

A picture is worth a thousand words:

But I'll toss some words in anyway. All panels are now done and ready for the assembly phase. I had to wait almost all day for the clouds to quit spitting on me, so I wasn't sure how much time I had to get this done. As a result, I only have the one picture.

The two piece saw guide worked perfectly today with the stiffening board clamped in place. Not one cut was off by more than 2mm, and several were dead on. And I mean perfect - 300mm exactly. I had perhaps 10mm of scrap left over on this last sheet after cutting four 8' strips 300mm wide.

The assembly is going to go way better on this project than the last one. Speaking of, that part may start Wednesday. I need a day to rest. I hope to have this beast up and rumbling by Friday.
post #63 of 144 Old 06-08-11, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Day one of assembly phase is over. I got as much done as I could. Some roadblocks included a badly warped driver baffle that is still not straight after 3 hours in the sun, and a compact florescent bulb that failed in a way that looked, smelled, and sounded just like an electrical fire starting.

Seriously, that bulb had me racing all over the basement flipping breakers like crazy until I found the problem. I hate those things.

Anyway, I'm almost at the point I can start with the PL. Thanks to the sawhorses, this part of things went much easier. Once again, the jigsaw chose to annoy me while cutting the driver holes, but I think I got them to the point the surrounds won't rub on the cuts now.

I don't know why I bought a new countersink bit. Five minutes into this, and I suddenly remembered why I stopped using the old one on the last build.

And now, pictures.

Check out my innovative clamping method for the top and bottom panels. These were warped, so I piled weight in there to keep them straight while I drilled and screwed up from underneath.

Working on the driver mounting holes and screws. Wanted to be dead sure of no surround rubbing on the sides of the cutout, so I had one of the SDX's help me with that.

Getting closer. To compensate for the panel warp, I used the weight again to hold it straight so I can drill the mounting holes tomorrow. Maybe the panel will be straight on its own by then... the weight stays there overnight.

Last two panels going in.

Another angle.

Does... does it look like a tapped horn yet? Please say yes. My body is aching something fierce

Looks positively skinny compared to the Tang Band horn, but make no mistake... this one is still plenty huge.

Hope to make more progress tomorrow. Will get things done as I can.

post #64 of 144 Old 06-08-11, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Important note - due to reality differing slightly from the last Hornresp model, I have updated the model to reflect measurements I took of the project a few minutes ago. See attached file for what I should be getting from the final product.

That said, I expect the low corner to drop some, even more than this model shows. My Tang Band horn ended up at 15.5Hz, down from 16Hz. The length of this horn is similar.
Attached Files sdxr3lr2.txt (418 Bytes) 
post #65 of 144 Old 06-09-11, 01:29 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

That looks like one easy build there. Good stuff. When will it be up and running.
post #66 of 144 Old 06-09-11, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Might be Saturday now. I want the PL to cure on the bottom before the top goes on so I can check for leaks, so I'll do most of the gluing today, finish it off tomorrow, and then the drivers go in on Saturday. Since I left so little room for drivers, I need to make sure I chisel off any PL beads that might keep them from mounting properly.

It's going to be fun to reach the back screws on that innermost driver even with my long arms. This isn't like the Tang Band build, where I had two oval drivers going in right at the mouth.
post #67 of 144 Old 06-09-11, 09:50 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

I thought you would be putting the drivers in before you put the last side on.

What spl are you expecting at 15-16hz?

I bet its heavy.
post #68 of 144 Old 06-09-11, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

In room, against at least one wall? Should do at least 118dB at 1M at 15Hz with 300W in. I'll be running it corner loaded, eighth space, with 350W, so I should see a good bit more than that.

Heavy seems hardly the word... I'm glad those plastic sawhorses are holding
post #69 of 144 Old 06-09-11, 10:09 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Quote:
Should do at least 118dB at 1M at 15Hz with 300W in

That's pretty impressive. So 3m away from the LP, would that about about 109db at 15hz.
post #70 of 144 Old 06-09-11, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Depends on the room.

Truth be told, the SDX drivers are only a little behind those used in the Danley DTS-10 in terms of total displacement. If I did good, this box will compete well in terms of SPL with that one. I won't make any promises though, and there's no question it will sound different. I just don't know how different.